Accident with cyclist - Seeking advice

Soldato
it is difficult to decide what the gap was from the video though, and with cyclists look of shock as he arrived at the left wing, he did not expect it.
OP started moving as the blue car arrived at the right wing, and either the cyclist thought he had eye contact, or, looking at the oncoming cars thought the gap was not large enough ?
if the oncoming car was close he maybe decided heading for the bonnet rather than being pushed into oncoming cars was lesser of evils.

Yes it makes it look really close, but I can't be sure how far the cyclist was. The car doesn't seem to move much to make the connection though.

Even still, if I cycled on the pavement I'd stop or slow down as I crossed a road, especially as there's a car in it! I'd do the same if I was running, and look both ways. I cant see the kerb so it looks like the pavement is level with the road OP was on.

Soldato
Even the OP thought it was his fault.. He said "Sorry". I'm sure he wouldn't have got out of his car and said sorry had he been rear-ended at a set of lights.

I think they were both driving/riding without due care and attention.

This could have been avoided by both parties. Had the OP looked where he was going before moving off he should have seen the cyclist. Yes the cyclist should have also seen the car but that doesn't absolve the OP of any blame.

However I think we can argue till the cows come home! Who knows how the insurance would see it!

Caporegime
OP
I did indeed say sorry, after asking if he was ok, in the space of about 2 seconds.

Someone else said to me that implies I am taking the blame. At the end of the day, my car did knock him off his bike, there's no disputing that so that's why I was sorry! But coming down a path at speed when a car is indicating to come out is stupid.

What was I supposed to say, rant at him that he's an f'in idiot when he could be dying on the road? That would make me look like a monster especially if he was really badly injured.

Soldato
I did indeed say sorry, after asking if he was ok, in the space of about 2 seconds.

Someone else said to me that implies I am taking the blame. At the end of the day, my car did knock him off his bike, there's no disputing that so that's why I was sorry! But coming down a path at speed when a car is indicating to come out is stupid.

What was I supposed to say, rant at him that he's an f'in idiot when he could be dying on the road? That would make me look like a monster especially if he was really badly injured.

Im not having a go bud.

You did what myself and 99.9% of other drivers do/did every day.

My point is at that time you thought it was your fault. This is probably because you didn't see him because you weren't looking were you were going. (That sounds awful I know but we all do it. Thats why there are so many rear end shunts at roundabouts)

Again not having a go we all do it. But sometimes we get caught out.

But having said that a portion of the blame must rest with the Cyclist he WAS riding like a pillock.

It will be interesting to find out the eventual outcome and how they reached their conclusions

Associate
I had exactly the same situation years ago, girl was riding bike on pavements without lights and hit me when i tried to join the main road. There was some crying and mangled bike but she left without saying sorry. Such a douche.

Associate
OP is looking out for cars ,he can't look in every direction at once.The cyclist only had to look in front of him as he was on the pavement joining a road, no hazard there then :rolleyes:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I thought motor legal protection just got you through to ambulance chasers direct, and that you were always better getting your own legal team?

Pursue the costs and see what Admiral say. I suspect it’ll go something like that “jog on”.

Caporegime
OP is looking out for cars ,he can't look in every direction at once.The cyclist only had to look in front of him as he was on the pavement joining a road, no hazard there then :rolleyes:

Eh? Lol. What a load of tosh. OP has to look left or right. The cyclist has to look behind and ahead to see if there's anything approaching with it's indicator on and to the right to see if there's anything approaching the juction.

Associate
Eh? Lol. What a load of tosh. OP has to look left or right. The cyclist has to look behind and ahead to see if there's anything approaching with it's indicator on and to the right to see if there's anything approaching the juction.

Right enough there might be a mum coming out of her house with a pram, do they fit indicators to prams nowadays ? :p

Caporegime
I think it’s reasonable to expect the OP to be looking for traffic and being aware of pedestrians but I don’t see how it can be his fault that he didn’t see a moron on a cycle coming at speed on the pavement from near nowhere.

Alas, I can’t see his insurance seeing it that way...

Soldato
If the cyclist is asking for your insurance, i would be asking for his and initiating the claim first.

Cyclist was coming at speed on a pavement - not much you can do about that.

Caporegime
You mean apart from waiting until he's gone past.

But he was not there at the time he made the decision to pull out. Presumably he looked left, then looked right, then pulled out and *bamn*.

The only way for him to avoid what happened was to look left last before pulling out (which makes no sense - and then a reckless cyclists could have come the other way) or to have the ability to look left and right at the same time which anatomy wise for a human is impossible.

In fact the only way this could have been avoided was to have just stayed in that spot for eternity, just in case some idiot on a bicycle was to come hurtling down the wrong way and on the pavement.

The only reason the road network works is because we abide by the laws and rules. If you had to anticipate people breaking the rules every single moment and in every eventuality, no one would ever move anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom