Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Soldato
i did extract mine and did run setup but didnt try it as administrator as i was logged in as administrator already

will try again tonight..

Were you logged in with the actual local administrator account or just a user account that has been set to administrator? the local administrator account is disabled by default after a W7 install so to actually login with it you need to enabled it first.

Associate
If the fan annoys you and you want it quieter or you want more options in the bios then it is :)

The question was WHICH and not IF ;->

You've released few different roms from what I can see, which one do you think is best considering heat and noise aspects for day to day tasks, I'm not gaming at all.

Could you paste a link please.

Cheers.

Associate
The question was WHICH and not IF ;->

You've released few different roms from what I can see, which one do you think is best considering heat and noise aspects for day to day tasks, I'm not gaming at all.

Could you paste a link please.

Cheers.

This is the one I recommend and the one I use.

MODDED BIOS DOWNLOAD - http://www.mediafire.com/?qsn4aoovoba2kuo

Its silent, and cpu is around 40-45C which is fine.

The other bios which is louder fan only reduces temps by about 2-3C so not that much of a gain.

Associate
gpu problems

Just discovered this goldmine of a thread. Many thanks for all the intel, and will certainly look into modding bios once I iron out the following problem:

Have had the 8371G for about a week. Last few days noticed severe screen refreshing / flickering when working on battery - particularly bad on certain websites with animated graphics (although streaming iplayer etc is fine). Haven't noticed it yet particularly with AC power, suggesting its an issue with the integrated chip. Can't say if it's a recent development or been like it from start - think it's recent.

Acer support said immediately it had to go into repair. I'd prefer to exchange, which my supplier is happy to do and the wheels are in motion. I also said I'd be willing to try updating drivers etc. first, on understanding they'd still exchange if it didn't resolve.

I haven't found this issue reported elsewhere, so is it just a dud?

I haven't updated any of the graphics drivers as yet from the Acer site, nor the bios. Also, I note that when plugged in AC, both ATI and Intel integrated graphics appear in device manager (not ATI alone) - is this normal? (Only Intel chip functioning in battery mode which is what I'd expect).

otherwise, would be very pleased with purchase - build quality etc.

Thoughts appreciated - cheers. Want to get everything resolved before everyone leaves for xmas!

Associate
This is the one I recommend and the one I use.

MODDED BIOS DOWNLOAD - http://www.mediafire.com/?qsn4aoovoba2kuo

Its silent, and cpu is around 40-45C which is fine.

The other bios which is louder fan only reduces temps by about 2-3C so not that much of a gain.

Thank you.

So far so good.

Fingerprint reader software installed OK but I've decided not to use it anymore ;>

Any ideas on how to automatically run CPU overclock file after waking from sleep? I very often put my laptop to sleep throughout the day and running it manually every time would be very annoying ;>

Man of Honour
Well I've installed my Momentus XT and upgraded to Windows 7 today, running very well, and I hope the battery lasts as well as it did in Vista.
Tried some gaming today and everything runs much better than it did on my old Atom powered netbook! Very pleased, especially as FM 2011 seems to run perfectly!

Associate
Does anyone get a random click sound. Just happens randomly, not very often. Maybe once every 2 hours.

I'm sure its coming from the hard drive but I don't know what its doing or why its doing it lol

Associate
Does anyone get a random click sound. Just happens randomly, not very often. Maybe once every 2 hours.

I'm sure its coming from the hard drive but I don't know what its doing or why its doing it lol

yes, I think it's coming from the hard disk too. I'm not sure what it is either.

Associate
Just discovered this goldmine of a thread. Many thanks for all the intel, and will certainly look into modding bios once I iron out the following problem:

Have had the 8371G for about a week. Last few days noticed severe screen refreshing / flickering when working on battery - particularly bad on certain websites with animated graphics (although streaming iplayer etc is fine). Haven't noticed it yet particularly with AC power, suggesting its an issue with the integrated chip. Can't say if it's a recent development or been like it from start - think it's recent.

Acer support said immediately it had to go into repair. I'd prefer to exchange, which my supplier is happy to do and the wheels are in motion. I also said I'd be willing to try updating drivers etc. first, on understanding they'd still exchange if it didn't resolve.

I haven't found this issue reported elsewhere, so is it just a dud?

I haven't updated any of the graphics drivers as yet from the Acer site, nor the bios. Also, I note that when plugged in AC, both ATI and Intel integrated graphics appear in device manager (not ATI alone) - is this normal? (Only Intel chip functioning in battery mode which is what I'd expect).

otherwise, would be very pleased with purchase - build quality etc.

Thoughts appreciated - cheers. Want to get everything resolved before everyone leaves for xmas!

Have you tried running from Intel when on AC? You can switch to Intel by right clicking your desktop and going to Switchable Graphics.

If you don't get the same problem with the Intel graphics when on AC, maybe it's a power management issue rather than a graphics hardware issue. I know that the Acer power management can cause the screen to change brightness or quickly go off-and-on sometimes, but on mine it never flickers.

"both ATI and Intel integrated graphics appear in device manager (not ATI alone) - is this normal? (Only Intel chip functioning in battery mode which is what I'd expect)."

yes, this is normal

Soldato
what is the linux support like with these? Could you explain how the switchable graphics work. Could you use intel whilst on web and ati only if you want to play a game, is that how it works?

Soldato
its possible to switch graphics by changing over them going to play games etc yea, it doesnt automatically switchover i dont think?
anyway if you wanted support in linux for both graphics cards i think unless acer produced a driver it would be a case of having to reboot and go into the bios to enable a certain graphics card

Associate
Any ideas on how to automatically run CPU overclock file after waking from sleep? I very often put my laptop to sleep throughout the day and running it manually every time would be very annoying ;>

I got it sorted now.

This is what I've done to have the CPU OC'ed all the time (even after waking up from sleep):

1. Create New task in Task Scheduler (Control Panel/Administrative Tools)
2. General/Select "Run whether user is logged on or not"
3. General/Select "Run with highest privileges"
4. Triggers/New... At startup
5. Triggers/New... On an event... Basic / Log: System, Source: Power-Troubleshooter,Event ID: 1
6. Actions/New... Start a program... Browse to OC .exe file
7. Conditions/Deselect "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power"

Save, reboot and enjoy.

Associate
Hi all,
Whilst i fined the graphics power of the hd 4330 is acceptable whilst overclocked, i am starting to wonder if it could be upgraded?

I can't take the machine apart until monday, and was wondering if any one knows if the HD4330 (RV770) is on a expansion slot (pcie) or solded onto the motherboard.
AMR_HD4500_Img0423_BoardAng_M92_M.png

My current understanding is that if its a pci-e slot graphics card this can be replaced. Perhaps by this

Back
Top Bottom