Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Laptop just died.

On startup gives a blue screen with some writing for under a second then restarts and trys windows start up repair.

Doesnt work though :-\

Going to try and reinstall OS, hopeing its a registry error.

EDIT: Now usb drive has broken aswell, officially FML!

EDIT 2: Managed to save the USB, tried to install and it failed. I was close to giving up haah.

Tryed again it worked, my am i glad that i back up my uni work every time i make big changes, (every day, if not more).

I know a lot of my friends who would have been screwed if this happened to them.

I tried to install a program and it failed, that was before this happened so i imagine it was that!

EDIT 3: One thing that was slightly worrying is when i tryed to boot when it had all gone wrong, and i tryed to access the bios, it asked for a password!

I had never set a password so not sure what happened with that, i have reflashed the bios now!

Last edited:
Niether do i haha.

Got it all sorted now, took ages to get eclipse running with android, usually works straight away :S

Slightly worried now, how can a computer just decide to not boot, the blue screen didnt even display long enough for me to read it, and startup repair didnt work.

Silly thing! lol

There is a way to stop the computer auto restarting so it keeps the blue screen up so you can read it. This is what you do:

-Right-click on My Computer
-Choose Advanced System Settings
-Click the Advanced tab
-Under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button
-UNCHECK "Automatically restart"

Also I think it saves a log of the error somewhere

There is a way to stop the computer auto restarting so it keeps the blue screen up so you can read it. This is what you do:

-Right-click on My Computer
-Choose Advanced System Settings
-Click the Advanced tab
-Under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button
-UNCHECK "Automatically restart"

Also I think it saves a log of the error somewhere

Thanks for that,

Have done that now, hopefully it wont happen again any way!

Well I seem to have sorted out my battery woes, was watching some episodes of the Office last night on fairly low brightness - power saving mode and Intel GPU and was getting quoted 6 hours 5 mins, which seemed to stay even after watching the first 30 min episode so I'm hopeful that watching video (SD anyway) I would easily get 6 hours viewing out of it,

Just took delivery of my 3810. Looks very nice indeed guys and I have your contributions within this thread to thank for helping me make my mind up. Looks like a very sound purchase so glass raised to you good folk here :)

Can I also come back to my earlier post regarding the graphics situation. If I try running something like BF2, will the ATI unit automatically kick in or do I have to do something manually to get the benefit of the extra horsepower?

Cheers

Just took delivery of my 3810. Looks very nice indeed guys and I have your contributions within this thread to thank for helping me make my mind up. Looks like a very sound purchase so glass raised to you good folk here :)

Can I also come back to my earlier post regarding the graphics situation. If I try running something like BF2, will the ATI unit automatically kick in or do I have to do something manually to get the benefit of the extra horsepower?

Cheers

It seems to switch based on things like power mode rather than automatically, if your laptop is plugged in it will automatically power up the ATI GPU but you can turn it off, if your power profile is set to "Max Battery Life" the Ati GPU will be off but again you can switch it on yourself, your better to just switch it manually as you need to.

yea, assuming you are on AC power when playing then it will kick in the ATI GPU on detection of AC power so will be on when gaming. Alternatively you can force it on by pressing on the "greeny leaf" icon on the front face when on battery, which will turn off "eco mode" and turn on the ATI graphics (battery life will suffer ;) )

lastly, there is a right click option that allows you to set options related to switchable graphics (if memory serves me correctly). Not used that though....

Hi all,
Whilst i fined the graphics power of the hd 4330 is acceptable whilst overclocked, i am starting to wonder if it could be upgraded?

I can't take the machine apart until monday, and was wondering if any one knows if the HD4330 (RV770) is on a expansion slot (pcie) or solded onto the motherboard.

My current understanding is that if its a pci-e slot graphics card this can be replaced. Perhaps by this

Were you able to check if the graphics is plugged into an expansion slot ?

Or anyone else know for reference?

Just joined the forums here and have read quite a bit from this and other forums. Also in Hotukdeals which I tend to use every day :-(

I have a UL30A and am selling it and kind of upgrading to a Acer 8371 with dual graphics or Acer 3810 with same.

Has anyone played with all 3 and are the Acer's that much better?

My UL30A has the celeron dual core SU2300 and not the SU9400 these have and also no BT which I also use.

I do use Bluetooth which the Acer's have and the trackpad I really find annoying on the UL30.

Main benefit would be faster proc, better screen on the 8371 and ability on either to install a cheap WWAN card ... :rolleyes:

'lo all
Thought I'd pop in a drop a thanks to everyone for the into contained in this thread.
Can't believe how straight forward the CPU and GPU overclocking has been :D

This is the one I recommend and the one I use.

MODDED BIOS DOWNLOAD - http://www.mediafire.com/?qsn4aoovoba2kuo

Its silent, and cpu is around 40-45C which is fine.

The other bios which is louder fan only reduces temps by about 2-3C so not that much of a gain.
dragonuk, really like the low noise with your modded BIOS but have encountered one problem.
I guess the vendor id or checksum has been changed as with your modded BIOS installed, the default Vista installation gets deactivated and there's no way to reactivate it automacally (not tried to reactivate through Acer yet; not sure how they'd react when I tell them there's custom BIOS involved). Oddly enough if you run the WGA tool, then you get a clean bill of health.
I'm guessing the key is locked to the vendor BIOS. Any chance you can have a check of your BIOS to see that the vendor details hasn't been corrupted?
I'm stuck with the Vista installation for the time being, and to be honest it's perfectly useable.

Last edited:
I've just noticed a light mark in the middle of the screen that is only visible on the white background.

I'm not happy with it considering the laptop is only few days old.

I think I'll be returning it for a replacement/refund.

I've just received a replacement laptop, swapped the HDD with SSD from the faulty one, manually activated Win7 over the phone and voila, system working OK without the need to reinstall anything.

Sweet.

fixed it by going to synaptics.com and installing latest driver for win7 64 bit. Latest is 15. something or other. Previous version installed with Win 7 by default is 13.2.2

'lo all
Thought I'd pop in a drop a thanks to everyone for the into contained in this thread.
Can't believe how straight forward the CPU and GPU overclocking has been :D

dragonuk, really like the low noise with your modded BIOS but have encountered one problem.
I guess the vendor id or checksum has been changed as with your modded BIOS installed, the default Vista installation gets deactivated and there's no way to reactivate it automacally (not tried to reactivate through Acer yet; not sure how they'd react when I tell them there's custom BIOS involved). Oddly enough if you run the WGA tool, then you get a clean bill of health.
I'm guessing the key is locked to the vendor BIOS. Any chance you can have a check of your BIOS to see that the vendor details hasn't been corrupted?
I'm stuck with the Vista installation for the time being, and to be honest it's perfectly useable.

Hey,
Yeah it does change the vendor stuff in a way. Its because in the modded bios I have added Slic2.1 for Windows 7. And so the oem information that was used for windows vista isnt there now.

Most people are using windows 7 or upgraded so didnt have this problem.

I will upload the same modded bios soon without slic2.1 (so the vendor stuff etc will be the same as original bios)

Back
Top Bottom