Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Soldato
just got one of these and have charged battery up for first time and on initial boot up battery is reporting 4.33 hours and its set on power saver I ws under the impression you got >6hrs with these?

Also got any battery care tips?

edit it up to 8:12 now so happy days.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey,
Yeah it does change the vendor stuff in a way. Its because in the modded bios I have added Slic2.1 for Windows 7. And so the oem information that was used for windows vista isnt there now.

Most people are using windows 7 or upgraded so didnt have this problem.

I will upload the same modded bios soon without slic2.1 (so the vendor stuff etc will be the same as original bios)
Cheers dragonuk, that'd be awesome :D

Soldato
what are esobi and grid vista? I have remove macfee and office trial but never heard of these so before I un-install them what do they do?

Soldato
Placed an order for the 8371 today. A little treat for myself for Christmas and a replacement for my old (and poorly performing) Travelmate 8100.

Looking forward to trying out some of the tweaks in the thread. Thanks for all the info so far and those that posted the discount codes and such.

Associate
Think i may have noticed screen flickering today. Updated drivers and will check tomorow to see if it's just my eyes from being tired! I hope it is, don't want to have to get it repaired already!

Associate
I just got delivery of mine and while overall it looks really good, there are two things that puzzle me.

Firstly, unlike what has been reported before mine dis not come with the Western Digital hard rive that most people have reported back but a Seagate Momentus ST9320325AS. Has anyone else received their with this hard rive?

Secondly, even though the laptop is plugged in the battery icon shows it as not plugged in and instead discharging as if was running on the battery itself. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Man of Honour
I just got delivery of mine and while overall it looks really good, there are two things that puzzle me.

Firstly, unlike what has been reported before mine dis not come with the Western Digital hard rive that most people have reported back but a Seagate Momentus ST9320325AS. Has anyone else received their with this hard rive?

Secondly, even though the laptop is plugged in the battery icon shows it as not plugged in and instead discharging as if was running on the battery itself. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Mine had the WD drive in rather than the Seagate, I think the Seagate though is a 7200RPM drive which should be better, I replaced my WD with the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive and its super rapid!

Associate
The Seagate is indeed 5400rpm. Not that it indeed makes any difference. WIll most likely be replacing with a Momentus XT or a SSD (if Santa is nice enough this year ;) )

Any ideas on the battery icon issue?

Associate
.. can anyone comment ? 8371 or 3810TG?

The £340 8371 seems good but has no HDMI

The cheapest 3810TG is £412 has 500GB, HDMI and Win7?

They both look good but I do use the HDMI

I want to upgarde to WWAN so both have that ability and I have am SSD which I have in my UL30 which I will swap.

Want to make a decision before the 8371 deal goes as the screen seems much nicer .. not glossy ??

Associate
Well you are basically paying an extra £72 for hdmi and win 7.

Win7 can be solved easily. HDMI can't so depends if you want it.

Screen is better on 8371 and better processor.

Only 12 left of the 8371 at £349.99

Soldato
.. can anyone comment ? 8371 or 3810TG? ....
Want to make a decision before the 8371 deal goes as the screen seems much nicer .. not glossy ??

Hevoset kurssit, I would say :)

Both machines offer a great spec for the money. Personally, I prefered the 8371 on : non-Glossy screen, integrated Bluetooth, 'classier' chassis (Mg alloy), and better CPU architecture.
HDMI is not so important as I have no real need to connect to external displays; larger HDD is nice, but no biggie; Win7 would be nice, but this can be rectified.....

As many, including me !, have said over the course of threads, go for the right one for you :)

Associate
Well you are basically paying an extra £72 for hdmi and win 7.

Win7 can be solved easily. HDMI can't so depends if you want it.

Screen is better on 8371 and better processor.

Only 12 left of the 8371 at £349.99

Yep I have to be quick .. I can get it for £340 with the discount and £412 or less for the 3810TG from the same shop with the SAME processor (or it says SU9400 ?!?).

The 8371 screen is a plus. I have a Lenovo T61 which has a matt screen and looks very boring all black matt body which I have used for work for 3 years which has been excellent I must admit. The HDMI is the only real stopping point as I have a spare WIn7 Pro on disk.

What about build quality of either .. the same ? I have seen the 3820x and it looks good .. is the 3810 the same look and feel (true chicklet keyboard).

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom