Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
On another subject "Modded BIOS" Why would I want to do this and also how?

Since no one has replied, you'll have to suffer my response I'm afraid (lol)

The reason why people would run custom bios on this machine is because of the extra options that become available: Hardware Virtualization, fan speed profile, switchable graphics option

How you would do this would be to download the necessary files from a this post and boot and run them off from a memory stick I think (have not done this...yet - laptop not arrived :( ) at your own risk of course
//

And also since there are none left now am I the only one that feels smug knowing what a great deal we've just got :D
Is it just me or has the 3810 gone down in price (£389.99) -- thought it were ~£425 before -- feel even more great lol :D

Associate
Anyone that ordered the 8371 from *****over the weekend, I have some good news:

Wow what an AMAZING company. I've not seen CS like this in a long while.

I too ordered this morning when they said that they had 4 in stock. I too got a call saying they were upgrading ... here we go I thought... but they're upgrading all orders placed over the weekend to a MUCH better model, bigger hard drive, win 7, horray!

This is the model they are upgrading too:

http://www......com/product/1/XXASU...D-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4330-Win-7-Home.html

As you will see, retails a lot more than £345.80 - they are not charging any more though, aka they are taking the hit. Good on you ********!

Further info: Anyone that placed an order over this weekend or this morning, they will be going out via TNT tonight, so fingers crossed they'll arrive before the 25th!

Last edited:
Associate
Horrordee - Hey mate i just got a email from them saying that as well. Very good customer service tbh, a better machine for the same price :D

Anyway ive told them to go ahead and amend the order so hopefully before the 25th. I was wondering if there is a post on here for overclocking the 3810?

Soldato
OP
Anyone that ordered the 8371 from **** over the weekend, I have some good news:

I too ordered this morning when they said that they had 4 in stock. I too got a call saying they were upgrading ... here we go I thought... but they're upgrading all orders placed over the weekend to a MUCH better model, bigger hard drive, win 7, horray!

*link removed*

As you will see, retails a lot more than £345.80 - they are not charging any more though, aka they are taking the hit. Good on you ****

Further info: Anyone that placed an order over this weekend or this morning, they will be going out via TNT tonight, so fingers crossed they'll arrive before the 25th!

:eek: excellent news :D

You are getting the exact same spec right but 500GB hdd over 320GB, HDMI, and Win 7 all for the same price. The only small downside would prob be the glossy screen but all in all, you lucky **** :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone that ordered the 8371 from IT247 over the weekend, I have some good news:

http://www.it247.com/product/1/XXAS...D-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4330-Win-7-Home.html

As you will see, retails a lot more than £345.80 - they are not charging any more though, aka they are taking the hit. Good on you IT247!

grr wish i had waited now :)

Soldato
Anyone that ordered the 8371 from ***** over the weekend, I have some good news:

link

As you will see, retails a lot more than £345.80 - they are not charging any more though, aka they are taking the hit. Good on you *****!

Sorry to be "that" guy here but that's a competitor which we aren't allowed to mention on here. may want to edit your post (and anyone who quoted it too)

Associate
Horrordee - Hey mate i just got a email from them saying that as well. Very good customer service tbh, a better machine for the same price :D

Anyway ive told them to go ahead and amend the order so hopefully before the 25th. I was wondering if there is a post on here for overclocking the 3810?

You just use the same overclock as the 8371 in this thread as its the same cpu.

Just run the overclock exe file

Associate
Sorry to be "that" guy here but that's a competitor which we aren't allowed to mention on here. may want to edit your post (and anyone who quoted it too)

Thanks for the heads up, forgot about the monopoly over here. Have edited my post, although I just searched OCUK and cannot see them selling either device :cool:

Associate
Hey,
Yeah it does change the vendor stuff in a way. Its because in the modded bios I have added Slic2.1 for Windows 7. And so the oem information that was used for windows vista isnt there now.

Most people are using windows 7 or upgraded so didnt have this problem.

I will upload the same modded bios soon without slic2.1 (so the vendor stuff etc will be the same as original bios)
Hi dragonuk, any chance you can get this BIOS up soon? :D

Soldato
Pretty sure that the post you referred to was a one-off that dragonuk knocked up for a user with a different spec 8371 (i.e. non discrete gfx version)......there should be earlier post with the suitable BIOS for ATi equipped model

Associate
Just ordered my Acer 3810TG :)

I had ordered the 8371 when there was 10 left BUT it didn't go through seemingly and I wasn't a lucky one who got a free upgrade :(
However it was only £384.81 with the 2.5 code and has the same switchable graphics.

My Asus UL30 is history :)

Looking forward to putting a nice WWAN card in an swapping my SSD drive there (it is fullsize though so will replace the 500Gb card).

Glad I waited .. I did thnk they might come down.
Good for those who got the free upgrade :)
;)

I will also try and overclock it as I have been reading here it is straightforward and more importantly safe to do with moderation.

Associate
Ok I have an issue. Just recieved the 3810TG and did a clean install of Win 7 Home Premium...

In device manager, it states that the ATI card cannot start (it is using the intel integrated graphics). I tried installing the latest ATI drivers from their site, but it just complains that the ATI isn't the main GPU in use. I cannot see a simple way of switching between the two GPUs - can anyone shed some light?

Soldato
I haven't even had mine a week and it has been replaced with a much better model. :(

edit: is the Win7 you get with the 3810TG 32bit or 64bit?

I did a quick rundown:

Acer Timeline 3810TG £389.99 vs Acer Travelmate 8371 £349.99

Gain
Get Windows 7
500GB HDD
HDMI (replaces docking port)
SPDIF on the line out
wireless N is no longer draft
It says 9hr of battery rather than 8.5
Better sound
Slightly smaller, 100g lighter

Lost
Fingerprint reader
Seems to have dropped the "Travelmate" name (less business notebook now)
Doesn't mention the Anti Shock protection
Doesn't mention a 7200rpm HDD

I don't know what the looks of it are, by dropping the Travelmate and business orientated side it may have got a more glossy look.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok I have an issue. Just recieved the 3810TG and did a clean install of Win 7 Home Premium...

In device manager, it states that the ATI card cannot start (it is using the intel integrated graphics). I tried installing the latest ATI drivers from their site, but it just complains that the ATI isn't the main GPU in use. I cannot see a simple way of switching between the two GPUs - can anyone shed some light?

Which site did you try dl the drivers from? You need to go to the Acer site, not the ATI one.

Back
Top Bottom