Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Well what do you know? I just noticed that a small cable was not connected and guess what, it was the cable that connected the SATA to the motherboard. We now have a fully functioning SSD. Win 7 here we come!

Well what do you know? I just noticed that a small cable was not connected and guess what, it was the cable that connected the SATA to the motherboard. We now have a fully functioning SSD. Win 7 here we come!

LOL.

Pictures of the inside please, and where the SSD fits - since I was trying so desperately to help you out! :p So is it very easy to fit then? I already bought a normal sized SSD, can these be taken apart and reduced in size or do I need to sell this and buy the smaller version?

How funny life can be at times!

Pictures to follow shortly but for now I can confirm that only the small Kingston 30GB SSD will fit as per dragonuk's suggestion

Glad you got that sorted. I think I might try that too.

What is the size of the SSD card when you remove the case to fit it in the PC? 5 x 7cm?

I was going to put my old 64Gig SSD in but might not. Where did you order the cheapest 30GB SSD from ? Here it is £58 with postage and about the cheapest I can find. There are differeing write/read speeds, so is this correct with 180/50 as some are saying over 200 and NOT the v+ version. I have the Kingston 64GB (albeit full size) V which cost me £76 not from here though, so they are quite expensive per gig - even the famous selling site is same price or more.

I will put Win7 on that then to boot as the normal SSD is noticeably faster boot up and close down :-)

Still not received my Sierra MC8775 WWAN but wondering if I should get the MC8781 with in built GPS as someone here on this forum did .. they were same price .. I think max. speeds are faster too for the 8781 .. I have unlimited data on a 2-6GB Sonera connection which I use with a dongle and 3G router and would be great to try with that SIM.

Last edited:
I think the only one that fits is the old Kingston SSDNow 30GB because the board itself is tiny, around 5cmx4cm. The correct speeds are 180/50 as it is the older model. Anything bigger than 30Gb though will not fit. I have installed Win 7 and the boot up is noticeably faster. But be warned that the 64-bit installation takes almost 2/3 of the available space so it is to be used purely as a boot drive.

I got the SSD from another site but they have since put the price up so £58 is probably the best you can find anyway.

got mine today !!! so happy with it !!! It reports over 9 hour battery life with wifi on with around 10% brightness and just browsing online...

only one problem though... It never seems to fully charge. It reaches 98% and just stops there. Anyone got any ideas if theres a fix for this?

got mine today !!! so happy with it !!! It reports over 9 hour battery life with wifi on with around 10% brightness and just browsing online...

only one problem though... It never seems to fully charge. It reaches 98% and just stops there. Anyone got any ideas if theres a fix for this?

it will charge just takes its time, like most devices does 90/95 in the time it takes to the last bit....

also what browser do you use?

Yes, no one else has tried it yet. :P
I had it first :P
but i've got a 3810 not 8371... but its basically the same beast, except mine looks better and has hdmi :P

You must've knocked the little ribbon cable out when taking the laptop apart as it should already be connected!

Did you get the 30GB one? Its quite a small amount of space for win7! I dont think the 64gb ones fit though!

it will charge just takes its time, like most devices does 90/95 in the time it takes to the last bit....

also what browser do you use?

Updated bios and charged it after Uni and it now seems to charge a lot faster to 100%.

Not using any special, just firefox. Will test how it actually equates to real usage once I start using it 8 hours straight.

My current laptop is falling to pieces and quite like the look of one of these as a replacement.

Is the Acer TravelMate 8371 (LX.TTK0Z.001, one with ATI graphics) still available for £350ish? Or has the price jumped back up?

Flash with one of the modded BIOS's posted in this topic.

Ok thanks I'll try that tomorrow I'm going to bed cause I've wasted more than enough time on it ffs. I was wondering could I revert back to the 'official' bios at any time? and also -- by the way does windows vista activate and all that on my next reinstall???

I wonder if it has anything to do with the bios protection -- I remember having a look at the setup wizard and but did not complete it so now I tried to open but nothing happens only that the original window freezes after you press next

Back
Top Bottom