Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
Can someone shout if they see a £400 price appear any time soon online.... I'm looking but more eyes help

Thanks

Found an A1 Grade 4810TZG for £360 + shipping cost with 3 months warranty if you're interested. It's a well known company, but can't guarantee you the quality of service they provide as I've never tried buying from them myself before.

Associate
Having trouble with my sister's 8371. Whenever you press two or more keys down on the keyboard, the touchpad freezes for a few seconds, which is obviously annoying. I uninstalled the touchpad drivers which fixed it, but then the scroll doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Reinstalling the drivers just brought the problem back.

Associate
Having trouble with my sister's 8371. Whenever you press two or more keys down on the keyboard, the touchpad freezes for a few seconds, which is obviously annoying. I uninstalled the touchpad drivers which fixed it, but then the scroll doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Reinstalling the drivers just brought the problem back.

Re install the synaptic drivers.
Go to the mouse settings, then the synaptic driver settings.
Have a look around in there, its called PalmCheck!

Basically make it as low as it can go, its made to stop your wrist from moving the mouse when typing. I found it annoying too so turned it down.

Associate
Re install the synaptic drivers.
Go to the mouse settings, then the synaptic driver settings.
Have a look around in there, its called PalmCheck!

Basically make it as low as it can go, its made to stop your wrist from moving the mouse when typing. I found it annoying too so turned it down.
Thankyou so much :) I actually saw that setting and thought it was only when your palm touched the touchpad. I thought it was some kind of bug, who would actually turn that on?

Thanks again.

Associate
Thankyou so much :) I actually saw that setting and thought it was only when your palm touched the touchpad. I thought it was some kind of bug, who would actually turn that on?

Thanks again.

TBH mate, when im typing it does move the mouse a lot if i am using the touchpad. However i ALWAYS use a mouse so i just turn the trackpad off :p.

Annoyed me though, i thought it was some wierd hardware lag issue haha.

Associate
Tried CSS out on low settings (theres really no point in high settings as Its barely noticable with the screen) on native resolution, joined a 32 man deathmatch server and ran like a champ. I didn't record the FPS, but It was very smooth.. 50-60+ fps constantly whenever I looked at the fps.

Oh, and It has proven Its battery life to me for my needs. It genuinely gives out upto 9 hours on light usage. Lasted me about 5-6 hours whilst gaming, transferring 90GB of data from my portable drive to the HDD, installing everything I needed, internet browsing and trying out performance of all sorts of different apps like photoshop, illustrator, visual studio etc. Its quite amazing.

And I absolutely love the keyboard on it. Best keyboard on a laptop I've ever used in my life.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone had any success running linux on this? I tired to install ubuntu from live usb but it just booted to a blank screen, i would guess that the switchable graphics are to blame

Associate
Has anyone had any success running linux on this? I tired to install ubuntu from live usb but it just booted to a blank screen, i would guess that the switchable graphics are to blame

10.10 ubtuntu worked fine, 32-bit, it was the one that i had lying around.

fyi I have switchable graphics turned on as well.
Maybe try remaking the Live USB i used lili USB creator

Associate
Having a bit of a nightmare with my brand new 3810TG-944G50n.

1) Whenever I try and open OC_RTM875T_250.exe (overclocking tool on 1st page) - my laptop just completely powers off and restarts. Anyone had similar issues?

2) I tried to perform a clean install, but obviously this drive doesn't have a CD/DVD Drive, so I created a partition and copied the installation files onto it and tried to make it bootable. To cut a long story short, this completely messed up the boot manager etc, and I've had to delete all partitions inc the recovery ones and create two new ones.

3) After that happened, some partition managers still report issues with the partitions. Also Grub4Dos USB was the only way to boot into the newly installed Windows, as without the USB present it said no bootable device. I fixed this with EasyBCD.

4) Also, when I single click on .exe files on the toolbar the icon next to open shows the 'missing image' logo

Just wondered if anybody could help?

Soldato
girlfriend seems to be having difficulty with the builtin mouse pad. it will right click but it wont left click and also the mouse pad doesnt click either by pressing it. any ideas?
i have un-installed the device and re-installed and it works, until i restart the laptop (after the drivers are re-installed)

Did you ever resolve this as mine's doing it.

I think it's just Vista being it's usual crap self but I wondered if you'd had any luck finding a workaround.

Associate
Did you ever resolve this as mine's doing it.

I think it's just Vista being it's usual crap self but I wondered if you'd had any luck finding a workaround.

TBH mate, when im typing it does move the mouse a lot if i am using the touchpad. However i ALWAYS use a mouse so i just turn the trackpad off :p.

Annoyed me though, i thought it was some wierd hardware lag issue haha.

Quoted from when i answered the question above, bloody annoying "feature".

Soldato
That's not the same problem mate. The mousepad goes dead in terms of left-clicking. You can still move the mouse and right-click but tapping it or pressing the left button does nothing.

We've also had it happen where the keyboard froze too.

Only a reboot fixes it but it's a tad annoying.

[Edit] Actually, a reboot does not fix it. I have to go into Safe Mode, uninstall the driver, and then reboot again, and Windows reinstalls the mouse pad itself.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry fella!

As said try see if you have the latest driver for touchpad.

How ever, that wouldnt effect the left and right click buttons would it? :S

Soldato
Nope, that's why it's strange. Sometimes we lose just the left button. Sometimes the whole mouse. Sometimes the keyboard as well. Going into safe mode and uninstalling the device from device manager fixes it, but it's doing it a lot now.

There's quite a few people on the web with the same problem as well, searching around. We've tried a load of suggested stuff but it's still doing it. Naturally the missus is hitting the roof slightly over it as her dissertation is due on Monday. I can't say i'm thrilled with the timing either.

Back
Top Bottom