Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Out of the blue, the backlight on mine has just gone.

It was working perfectly fine the day before and haven't had any issues with it since receiving it in December last year. Loaded it up today and it's dead. I can see the image on the screen if I look hard enough, so the screen itself is displaying an image - it's just not lighting up... Hooking up to an external monitor is my temporary solution.

Is there really no way to replace the backlight for this screen? I know it has been asked in this thread before, but I just don't understand why you have to replace the whole screen. Can someone explain what is different with an LED screen? Not sure I want to go through the hassle of backing up and wiping this thing before sending it off to get fixed...

Also, what's more worrying is the company that most of us bought this from (the 24/7 place) has closed down!! ARRGGHH!! Upon loading up their website, I am greeted with a message saying :

Our parent company, SCC, has assumed full responsibility for all ex *****.com business and schools customers and would like to ensure you that the dedicated account management that was available with *****.com is still fully supported.

Importantly, for both schools and business, online sales and support is still available by registering interest for your own dedicated account. Call *number here* if you are a school or *number here* if you are a business.

Please note, previous personal / consumer purchases will continue to have customer service support. Please call *number here* or email customerservices@*****.com if you have any problems in the future.

Many thanks for your time and business.

Does anybody remember the terms of the guarantee they sold these under? I am wondering if I'm going to have to contact Acer or the '24/7 place' that is now shut down... :(

Just call up Acer, they'll sort it out and even pick it up - it happened on mine (admittedly just before warrenty was about to expire, after having it for a year) - picked it up, sorted it, sent it back.

Agreed, just call up Acer. I rang them on Thursday, they picked it up from my house the same day. On Friday I received a text from them saying they have it at their repair centre and on Monday an email saying it's been repaired and shipped, it was back with me Tuesday. All you need to do is provide them with proof of purchase which you should have in your emails to confirm you have owned it less then 1 year.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

I've just found the invoice it came with. I'll call them up later and let you know how I get on.

One last question: Will I need to reflash this with the original oem BIOS? It's currently running dragon's 1.28 modified BIOS, so not sure if Acer will consider that as breaking the warranty...?

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

I've just found the invoice it came with. I'll call them up later and let you know how I get on.

One last question: Will I need to reflash this with the original oem BIOS? It's currently running dragon's 1.28 modified BIOS, so not sure if Acer will consider that as breaking the warranty...?

I had removed and sold the original HDD, and had replaced it with a SSD. They fixed the screen and sent it back exactly as I sent it, you don't even need to back anything up but I probably would just to be safe.

Well the back light on mine has gone today :(

contacted Acer to find it's out of warranty and they want proof of purchase before setting up the repair (I bought it in November 2010 so it is still in warranty).

I have also found that the 24/7 place has gone! taken over by some other company.

and it was almost going to be the perfect laptop for me (considering spec and price)

I've now sold mine. I was using my desktop and the missus stopped using it since her course finished so it was hardly getting used. Installing that SSD sure was overkill :p but it complemented the laptop nicely and hopefully the new owner will enjoy it. :)

Well the back light on mine has gone today :(

contacted Acer to find it's out of warranty and they want proof of purchase before setting up the repair (I bought it in November 2010 so it is still in warranty).

I have also found that the 24/7 place has gone! taken over by some other company.

and it was almost going to be the perfect laptop for me (considering spec and price)

Don't worry. Although it says its out of warranty on acers website you just need to show proof of purchase (your invoice from it24/7 with the date on it) and they will update your warranty to that date then repair it.

However the backlight issue is really shocking considering the price this laptop was designed for.

Don't worry. Although it says its out of warranty on acers website you just need to show proof of purchase (your invoice from it24/7 with the date on it) and they will update your warranty to that date then repair it.

However the backlight issue is really shocking considering the price this laptop was designed for.

They had no problem with the warranty bit.

I have to say, I am very impressed with their service! I received the details to arrange pickup yesterday, I contacted UPS shortly after who were here to pick the laptop up an hour after I placed the call. They emailed me this morning to say they've recieved it and their technicians will be repairing it soon. About 20 minutes ago I received another email stating it's finished and to expect it within 3 days! It's taken them all of about 3 hours to fix it.

That is one hell of a turn around :)

Anyone have/had issues with the laptop locking up when playing say youtube videos when on the Intel driver and running on battery or plugged in? Running the ATI card its fine.

The back light went on my 8371 this morning!! :( Any one had this problem?

How pain free will it be for Acer to sort it out for me?

edit---->

wait maybe it hasn't. It's currently doing Startup Repair... this is weird.

The back light went on my 8371 this morning!! :( Any one had this problem?

How pain free will it be for Acer to sort it out for me?

edit---->

wait maybe it hasn't. It's currently doing Startup Repair... this is weird.

yep loads most common fault and its easy 3 days it will go to acer and return to you!

Thanks for the response. That's the first thing I tried and it didnt work. Has anyone gotten this problem where cancelling the biometric security setting before entering a password leading to a bios locked by password?

Oh dear, I have this problem -- cannot log into the bios after cancelling the biometric security setting. Even after reflashing the bios did not reset the password. Also for some reason now Fn + down/up arrow does not let me control the backlight of the screen which is annoying.

I thought it would be a good idea to try and complete the Acer Bio Protection system wizard to try and get this thing sorted. But now, it just runs in a loop, I can see some blue icon thing in the taskbar appearing and disappearing which I think is preventing me from going to the next steps. So now I am stuck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom