Acer Predator XB271HUA

Soldato
I'm wondering if there is any difference between the HUA and HUD in terms of the panel. Both are 1440p 144hz TN panels. Just the physical design difference?

Soldato
Just placed a preorder for one myself (not at OCUK) moving from 1080p.. If I'm not happy will send it back for a refund.

No interest in 4k as i prefer higher frame rates, so interested to see how it turns out. Worth a try at that price though. Hopefully the screen has a partially glossy finish and not grainy.

XB271HUAbmiprz model btw.. I'm seeing 2 different stands.

Last edited:
Associate
So tempting to put in an order myself. Let us know how you get on with it, and hopefully it will be the same price when I go to order one.

Associate
Spent weeks agonising over monitors. I really wanted to go IPS, but I don't feel lucky enough to get a good one whether it be from Asus, Acer or AOC. Pulled the trigger on this one myself today. Suppose if its a duffer I can always return it but I couldn't ignore it at this price. Surely an IPS can't be circa £250 better than this offering?

I'm coming from a 1080p iiyama which is pretty average to be honest. Looking forward to pairing the new screen with a nice 1080GTX.

Somewhat off topic this bit but does anybody think the Premium version of the 1080 Gamerock is worth the premium over the standard version (considering any potential overclocking) as the OCUK price of £560 is very tempting...

Thanks,
Paul.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spent weeks agonising over monitors. I really wanted to go IPS, but I don't feel lucky enough to get a good one whether it be from Asus, Acer or AOC. Pulled the trigger on this one myself today. Suppose if its a duffer I can always return it but I couldn't ignore it at this price. Surely an IPS can't be circa £250 better than this offering?

A good TN screen is pretty close to IPS these days apparently, not 100% on that but only from what i have read on various places. TN will get better motion for games, IPS will get better viewing angles.

Suppose it only matters if the limited viewing angles will bother you on the TN. Doesn't really affect me because i sit right in front of my screen most of the time.

Soldato
Suppose it only matters if the limited viewing angles will bother you on the TN. Doesn't really affect me because i sit right in front of my screen most of the time.

Except that the screen is 27". There is a significant difference between the angle at which your eyes subtend when viewing different sections of the screen. And those weaknesses in viewing angle on TN models like the S2716DG and XB271HUA have significant effects on perceived gamma and saturation levels. This is particularly the case vertically, comparing the top to bottom and indeed centre of the screen. I explore this in detail in my review of the S2716DG and also demonstrate it quite clearly in my video review of the ViewSonic XG2703-GS where the two are compared side by side.

Soldato
Except that the screen is 27". There is a significant difference between the angle at which your eyes subtend when viewing different sections of the screen. And those weaknesses in viewing angle on TN models like the S2716DG and XB271HUA have significant effects on perceived gamma and saturation levels. This is particularly the case vertically, comparing the top to bottom and indeed centre of the screen. I explore this in detail in my review of the S2716DG and also demonstrate it quite clearly in my video review of the ViewSonic XG2703-GS where the two are compared side by side.

Have you had or seen an XB271HUA? Any thoughts?

Soldato
Have you had or seen an XB271HUA? Any thoughts?

Afraid not. But seems like a rather good deal, so I eagerly await user feedback. A key thing I'd like to know is whether it uses the grainy matte screen surface of the original S2716DGs (A00, A01) or a lighter matte surface like the new revisions (A01+). It makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
Soldato

So would you say it's better to spend the extra for the IPS version?

Soldato
So would you say it's better to spend the extra for the IPS version?

Far too subjective. They both have clear strengths and weaknesses. Do you prefer having the fastest possible pixel responsiveness and no IPS glow, or do you value consistently rich colours? I've reviewed both screen types in tremendous detail and even done a YouTube video side by side comparison as I noted before. It's up to users to think about what the value and which product is right for them, not to be told what to think.

Soldato
Far too subjective. They both have clear strengths and weaknesses. Do you prefer having the fastest possible pixel responsiveness and no IPS glow, or do you value consistently rich colours? I've reviewed both screen types in tremendous detail and even done a YouTube video side by side comparison as I noted before. It's up to users to think about what the value and which product is right for them, not to be told what to think.

Don't fancy that IPS glow at all, can't see me being bothered since I've used TN for a while now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom