Acer Predator XR341CK/X34 34" Curved Gaming Screens with FreeSync and G-sync

Associate

It's more the fact people have been refused refunds, RMAs, etc, for defects such as dead pixels. There's the ISO that protects the company's arse for dead pixels, which is not fair at all to be honest. BLB I have never been a victim of so I cannot say how bad it is for day to day use, but I don't like how a monitor can be defective (at least by my definition) and you, as a consumer, can be told "Nah, sorry, it's fine to us"

There's distance selling regulations, or whatever it is called nowadays, but you can be charged a 'restocking fee', I wouldn't say that's 101% covered. I've even seen some companies try to charge you the postage to return the monitor to them.

Some companies are more relaxed than others, I think we all know of the most relaxed company in the world when it comes to returns, but some will try and bleed you of whatever they can technically be entitled to.

Man of Honour
Well ok, this is indeed a totally legit and righteous way of thinking and who doesn't agree with that. But..... first of all you have return policies covering 101% of your expenses. Second you've probably noticed that people tend to be kind of weird sometimes right? Especially in the internet. It's not exactly the place where the absolute truth and evidence happens, isn't it?

Flipping the coin upside down what I've seen are people who changed 6 monitors _in a row_ for blb or whatever else, asking for 5 rma and a final refund. And then if you look at the picture they posted the only thing you can possible wonder if they are totally nuts or just nuts. Probably they just wanted to be that guy who posted his experience of rma'ing 6 monitors for horrible blb and be worshipped by the "oh look what an unbelievable story" crowd on reddit. What a lovely day! LoL

Yet, if you own one of these screens and you have some very slightly blb in one corner, and you set brightness at 100% and take a pic with your 2 Mpixel smartphone, maybe with some incident light from your wide open window at noon, you'll see Hitler himself in that corner.

Don't forget another simple fact, the monitors that are sent back aren't disintegrated by some kind of magic gun of oblivion. They stay in the damn ring and will be picked up by someone else.

TL;DR: always remember people are strange. Don't be that people first, post later.

agree

Soldato
Well ok, this is indeed a totally legit and righteous way of thinking and who doesn't agree with that. But..... first of all you have return policies covering 101% of your expenses. Second you've probably noticed that people tend to be kind of weird sometimes right? Especially in the internet. It's not exactly the place where the absolute truth and evidence happens, isn't it?

Flipping the coin upside down what I've seen are people who changed 6 monitors _in a row_ for blb or whatever else, asking for 5 rma and a final refund. And then if you look at the picture they posted the only thing you can possible wonder if they are totally nuts or just nuts. Probably they just wanted to be that guy who posted his experience of rma'ing 6 monitors for horrible blb and be worshipped by the "oh look what an unbelievable story" crowd on reddit. What a lovely day! LoL

Yet, if you own one of these screens and you have some very slightly blb in one corner, and you set brightness at 100% and take a pic with your 2 Mpixel smartphone, maybe with some incident light from your wide open window at noon, you'll see Hitler himself in that corner.

Don't forget another simple fact, the monitors that are sent back aren't disintegrated by some kind of magic gun of oblivion. They stay in the damn ring and will be picked up by someone else.

TL;DR: always remember people are strange. Don't be that people first, post later.

sorry totally disagree. Never seen any RMA policies that cover 101% of your expenses, I've never been in profit from returning a monitor.

Until you have been down the road of dealing with a company like Acer and having these problems then you just dont know. Truth is the high end monitor market ie those above £500 is a minefield at the moment and its put me off spending that sort of money again until a decent one comes out that does not follow with people posting in forums about the problems.

They need to get their act together and produce quality reliable products when was the last time a gpu was released where 5% of the screen had graphic corruption ? doesnt happen. So why have we not got screen perfect monitors ?? Why do we have to put up with it ? Is the tech that far behind?

I will never ever buy from Acer again they are a bunch of cowboys.

Soldato
They need to get their act together and produce quality reliable products when was the last time a gpu was released where 5% of the screen had graphic corruption ? doesnt happen. So why have we not got screen perfect monitors ?? Why do we have to put up with it ? Is the tech that far behind?

It's true though... if this were happening with a GPU (or any other component for that matter), there would be an almighty uproar and effigies being burnt outside the OCUK offices! Look at what happened with the 970, and that wasn't even faulty, it was just the design which they failed to fully disclose. Which makes me wonder why on earth some people seem to be more accepting of these monitor issues when it's SOOO much worse in every way.

Soldato
And who said it has to be accepted WHEN IT'S BROKEN?

16 allowable defects as per ISO policy says so unfortunately! :( Borders on the comical that you could receive a £1000 monitor with 16 dead pixels on the display, and both the re-seller and manufacturer tell you there's nothing they can do.

Associate
Sorry I'm not following. You're saying someone received a monitor with 16 dead pixels and both the vendor and the producer refused an rma? :confused:

Anyway I was talking mainly of backlight bleed, for which is kinda hard to define what's acceptable and what isn't. My reasoning was about all the "acceptables" that may look to some like an outragous scam because they want it to be scientifically and unanimously declared PERFECT according to the Geneva convention of Utter Perfection which exists only in their heads. And to the fact in the internet you rarely read about satisfied customers, not because mankind is helpless (well, that too :D) but because people tend to write to find a solution to a problem or to see if others encoutered it as well, what to do and whatnot.

Soldato
Sorry I'm not following. You're saying someone received a monitor with 16 dead pixels and both the vendor and the producer refused an rma? :confused:

Anyway I was talking mainly of backlight bleed, for which is kinda hard to define what's acceptable and what isn't. My reasoning was about all the "acceptables" that may look to some like an outragous scam because they want it to be scientifically and unanimously declared PERFECT according to the Geneva convention of Utter Perfection which exists only in their heads. And to the fact in the internet you rarely read about satisfied customers, not because mankind is helpless (well, that too :D) but because people tend to write to find a solution to a problem or to see if others encoutered it as well, what to do and whatnot.

No, but that IS the ISO policy, and that COULD happen.

You're right, BLB is hard to define, and the lighting conditions of the room the monitor is being viewed in, and what's on the screen, all alter the perception. That said, when you see some of the horrendous pictures that people have posted and that they've been told there's nothing wrong with their monitor, it's hard not to see how unfair some re-sellers and manufacturers are being on this issue.

From reading the numerous threads online about the Acer XB270HU though, BLB is the least of the problems it's encountered.

Soldato
Acer told me they accept a monitor back if it has 10cm or more blb inward from the edge round more than 50% of the monitor. That's how I got my 4k returned. Little did I know 2 months later it would end up in a recycle centre. With " IF IT IS BROKEN RETURN IT" its no guarantee you get a result. What about the two forum members who returned a working monitor with stuck pixels and got someone's non working rma in return!

Associate
Has anyone purchased this monitor, any real world reviews. Given it's very reasonable price I'm hoping to grab one and wondered what general impressions are and if anyone had any quality issues.

Soldato
Has anyone purchased this monitor, any real world reviews. Given it's very reasonable price I'm hoping to grab one and wondered what general impressions are and if anyone had any quality issues.

i have the xr34 and well pleased with it, a slight bit of blb on a black screen but no problems with gaming, i would go so far as to say probably the best monitor ive owned

Soldato
i have the xr34 and well pleased with it, a slight bit of blb on a black screen but no problems with gaming, i would go so far as to say probably the best monitor ive owned
Same. Have the XR341 Freesync and with a bit of backlight bleed at top left and right corner, but have accepted it as something very difficult to avoid for a 21:9 IPS display. Other than that, it is an awesome monitor.

Soldato
I have an ACER XR341CK and Vega64, when it wakes from sleep I often get link failure error (used to happen with my Fury X as well)?

Anybody else get this?

link_zpsojihijnj.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have an ACER XR341CK and Vega64, when it wakes from sleep I often get link failure error (used to happen with my Fury X as well.

Anybody else get this?

Used to get that with my 295x2 and Phillips 40" VA screen. Only cure I found was to switch to a nVidia setup, never happened again! Obv's you can't do that though :(

Another cable is def worth a shot though (never helped with me tbh)

Back
Top Bottom