Acer Predator Z35 35" 2560x1080 VA 200Hz G-sync

Man of Honour
Hoping to get the review at TFTCentral completed next week once the holidays are over

Nice mini review Vega. A lot of those findings are similar to my experiences

Permabanned
Hmm I admit i am tempted Vega is on the same wavelength as me as it sounds almost like what i wanted (Ultrawide Eizo) and you even said that heh, But the contrast and PPI are a problem and that price.

£800? Really? £450-£500 tops and i MAY of bitten because ULMB 120hz is exactly the same as 240hz on the Eizo anyways. Knowing me though i would and did get a near perfect Eizo for £370 and would probably get a real dog of a Z35 with a non uniform screen like pictured. It still can do some impressive feats though, 200hz with DSR 5120x2160? Or 120hz ULMB DSR 5120x2160?

ULMB & DSR will make or break this panel and the price, And the price puts me out for now but how does DSR compare? For the record my Eizo is imo superb at 4K DSR honestly if i had it in 21:9 you would not see me post in here for years.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Exactly! My plan would be to DSR my games and shrink everything else down for desktop use :)

When i got my Eizo i thought i had it made and the experience is still immense thanks to Strobing at 120hz but there are some games like Chivalry, GTAIV, BF3, BF4 that have a mega jump in visual quality thanks to DSR. These two things changed that VA panel i can attest to it.

I wonder would it really look at good i think from memory the PPI is 100 on my Eizo and like 89 on the Z35, Could it really do the same? I would want this answered first because then you can answer question two.

How do you solve the motion? Do you take 200hz G-Sync or 120hz ULMB? From what Vega says streaking will mean ULMB. So Jedi technically then you have eyes on this as a VA 5120x2160 120hz ULMB panel with 2600:1 contrast? You know if the above works as good as my Eizo i would say it will be a great experience if the price comes down. Well see what Badass has to say about the coating and uniformity also. On VA glossy coatings are a dream pity no one is putting them on gaming monitors.

Last edited:
Associate
I made some more screenshots of my third Z35 with horrible colour banding and tested it on a friends computer with the same result so the banding doesnt come from a hardware fault of my pc but it is a colour banding problem.

This is the sky in Project Cars:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgfcusojsa7kx40/2015-12-31 12.38.59.jpg?dl=0

And this is the "sky" in Elite Dangerous:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs2dtlsuf1h2oq5/2016-01-02 13.57.46.jpg?dl=0

So why do not all have this problem? Which manufacture date do you guys withjout banding have? All my three uinits were manufactured in 11/15, all from a different seller.

Soldato
hmm that's a little worrying. I pre-ordered the freesync version recently. Any updates will be much appreciated, SimRacer.

Cheers for the review btw, Vega. I'll never be a multi gpu user and this looks like just the thing for 21:9 gaming on a relative budget.

Soldato
Vega / Sim - can one of you guys tell me how much this monitor weighs? I'm thinking of a new mount as I'm not at all keen on the feet Acer use.

Associate
hmm that's a little worrying. I pre-ordered the freesync version recently. Any updates will be much appreciated, SimRacer.

Cheers for the review btw, Vega. I'll never be a multi gpu user and this looks like just the thing for 21:9 gaming on a relative budget.

A bunch of retailers throughout Europe have delisted both the XZ35 and Z35 now before even receiving stock. XR3501 is pretty much gone, OCUK having delisted it ages ago.

A few retailers have Z35 and XZ35 now, but stock seems to be minimal and most are price gouging horribly on the latter (many who have stock list it for ~250 euros / £160 more than OCUK have the pre-order ... and £650 is high enough already).

I think production problems have pretty much killed the market for monitors with this panel. Wonder if the AOC will even make it to release now ... especially with its bizarre non detachable base (which contains all the electronics) and non-adjustable position.

Hopefully some new DP1.3 and SVA ultrawides will be shown at CES.

Permabanned
Anyone planning a CES forum section for monitors? This is easily the biggest year yet as i said and im sure other experienced people here will agree. I have known nothing like 2016 and i have seen CRT to OLED!

OLED monitors
HDR (Dolby Vision)
Displayport 1.3 (More hz more pixels yay)
More Ultrawide 3440+ panels
Nvidia adoption of Freesync.

Obviously the above is a complete dream list to add to VR for viewing pleasure. I do not see anything that is going to be a long way off though either. It is just a matter of waiting, Oh how long we waited precious.

Associate
Anyone planning a CES forum section for monitors? This is easily the biggest year yet as i said and im sure other experienced people here will agree. I have known nothing like 2016 and i have seen CRT to OLED!

OLED monitors
HDR (Dolby Vision)
Displayport 1.3 (More hz more pixels yay)
More Ultrawide 3440+ panels
Nvidia adoption of Freesync.

Obviously the above is a complete dream list to add to VR for viewing pleasure. I do not see anything that is going to be a long way off though either. It is just a matter of waiting, Oh how long we waited precious.

LG have a new high curve 3800R ultrawide 34 incher at 3440x1440 but again it's IPS 60hz native. They're using it as are others.

No SVA high refresh panels, just a curved 27 inch 1920x1080 60hz monitor.

No OLED.

No DP1.3

No HDR monitors.

Pretty much all non gsync monitors announced at ces support freesync.

NV already support vesa standard / freesync, but only for laptops (people don't swap mcms so they don't need a walled garden there).

CES has been a major disappointment.

Soldato
Cheers for the review, Baddass. I'm guessing the freesync version will be similar, other than not overclocking. Do you or anyone else know if that will have ulmb, as that seems to help this panel a fair bit?

Soldato
Cheers for the review, Baddass. I'm guessing the freesync version will be similar, other than not overclocking. Do you or anyone else know if that will have ulmb, as that seems to help this panel a fair bit?

ULMB is an Nvidia-specific feature enabled by the G-SYNC module, so it will not. Acer don't have an alternative strobe backlight feature that could be employed either, as far as I'm aware.

Back
Top Bottom