Acer Predator Z35 35" 2560x1080 VA 200Hz G-sync

Associate
Got it today. I must say that putting such a massive beast on my desk with all this real estate goodness got me giddy.

Then I booted some games and... My jaw dropped. The amount of blur and residual ghosting on this panel makes g-sync totally unusable. Even on 100hz the ghosting is massive. The only way to get rid of it is to enable ulmb which obviously prevents g-sync. Compared to the Asus IPS ROG this is terrible.

The problem is I rmad' my swift due to blb, and got this instead. It looks like I will be ccring this ASAP.

I don't have this issue at all. Something wrong with your panel maybe?

Associate
I'm intrested in purchasing this monitor. Anyone here who has the Z35 coming from a 2560x1440 panel? If so is the PPI difference obvious? Does the VA panel do a good job when compard to IPS?

Associate
I don't have this issue at all. Something wrong with your panel maybe?

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that any 3d graphics in motion is totally wrong unless you use ulmb. The difference is night and day.

The PG279Q did not have this problem at all.

Made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6JIqZBCfBo&feature=youtu.be

It's pretty bad quality and you can only see about 50% of the effect, but if you can see what I mean in the video then trust me, it's much, much worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure, but I can tell you that any 3d graphics in motion is totally wrong unless you use ulmb. The difference is night and day.

The PG279Q did not have this problem at all.

Made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6JIqZBCfBo&feature=youtu.be

It's pretty bad quality and you can only see about 50% of the effect, but if you can see what I mean in the video then trust me, it's much, much worse.

Is there a reason you have 'OD' (Overdrive) set to 'Off'?

Associate
Got it today. I must say that putting such a massive beast on my desk with all this real estate goodness got me giddy.

Then I booted some games and... My jaw dropped. The amount of blur and residual ghosting on this panel makes g-sync totally unusable. Even on 100hz the ghosting is massive. The only way to get rid of it is to enable ulmb which obviously prevents g-sync. Compared to the Asus IPS ROG this is terrible.

The problem is I rmad' my swift due to blb, and got this instead. It looks like I will be ccring this ASAP.

I think you have the wrong thread. Sounds like you're discussing the X34. The issue you describe is one of the littany that has been documented with that 3440x1440 ips panel.

Edit - i see you had od set to off now.

Last edited:
Associate
Is there a reason you have 'OD' (Overdrive) set to 'Off'?

The only thing it does it make the ghosting even worse, basically a black smokey like effect on edges of textures that smudges and its even worse without. It's actually even visible while watching movies when set to extreme.

Guys, I'm not daft, the motion blur is switched off, the game is warhammer vermintide. I tried out a couple of more games and its the same thing. OD on normal improves the situation a little bit, but introduces the smokey border, extreme levels make it really pronouced to the point where it becomes horrible to use.

Soldato
Overdrive generally helps with that, perhaps it's a problem with your monitor only, though I did find that VA monitors in general have this issue to a certain extent.

Associate
I think you should get yours checked out - I'm really not getting this issue at all.

anyone else have a Z35 out there?

There is a small number of issues...

If I don't turn the monitor on at the same time as the computer it will not receive a signal. Taking out the DP doesn't matter, a reboot is in order.

Some games disable the ulmb, I have to run it in windowed mode, even though they worked just fine the day before on fullscreen.

I was testing the Asus PG279Q ROG a week ago and to be honest z35 doesn't hold a candle to it in regards to clarity.

It will be collected on friday and the PG279Q redelivered the same day. Fingers crossed without issues.

Associate
I've been reading that this and the BenQ version have really slow pixels that blur bad. Is that pretty much the consensus? 200 Hz would be rather pointless if the whole image is just a smear.

Could anyone report what the max refresh rate is on the display with ULMB engaged?

Associate
I've been reading that this and the BenQ version have really slow pixels that blur bad. Is that pretty much the consensus? 200 Hz would be rather pointless if the whole image is just a smear.

Could anyone report what the max refresh rate is on the display with ULMB engaged?

Supposedly AUO issued a panel recall as many units suffered from this, hence why the BenQ disappeared and the XZ35 / Z35 were massively delayed. Possible that those early Z35 samples are using the old panels but checked for the problem (and some still slip through). Also possible AUO haven't fixed the issues ... or that Acer are using old panels which haven't even been checked, as the BenQ has been available in the US & Canada the whole time - presumably in the knowledge that many are faulty and it's been withdrawn from sale elsewhere.

Last edited:
Associate
Supposedly AUO issued a panel recall as many units suffered from this, hence why the BenQ disappeared and the XZ35 / Z35 were massively delayed. Possible that those early Z35 samples are using the old panels but checked for the problem (and some still slip through) .. or that AUO haven't fixed the issues ... or that they're Acer are using old panels which haven't even been checked, as the BenQ has been available in the US & Canada the whole time - presumably in the knowledge that many are faulty and it's been withdrawn from sale elsewhere.

Ah makes sense. I'm truly intrigued by what a VA at 200 Hz looks like and what it's ULMB capabilities are.

Associate
Ah makes sense. I'm truly intrigued by what a VA at 200 Hz looks like and what it's ULMB capabilities are.

ULMB works at 120hz. For some strange reason, it doesn't work on full screen for me anymore even though starting off with the monitor it did.

Edit:

More strange things are going on with it. There is now a strip of my screen on the far left side which seems to be cut out of the middle of the screen and pasted there. The graphics in the middle of the screen are visibly missing and pasted to the side. Weirdest thing I've seen so far.

Last edited:
Associate
To the Z35 owners: Can anyone confirm colour banding? I think my Z35 has very bad colour banding. Firmware again bugged or defective monitor? Not: it is already the 2nd Z35 for me, both with these colour banding.

Associate
That's absolutely awful. Most of the monitor brands are a total joke at the moment ... obscene pricing on most 'gaming' monitors, and absolutely dire quality control, often with severe firmware issues to boot (whether or not it's the case here).

I can't ever remember a time in the past when it was this bad.

I was thinking about getting an XZ35 when they arrived, but given the issues with the XR3501 and Z35, I think I'll take a rain check. Better to wait for the new Samsung VA panels and hope some of the resulting monitors are 144hz.

Last edited:
Associate
To the Z35 owners: Can anyone confirm colour banding? I think my Z35 has very bad colour banding. Firmware again bugged or defective monitor? Not: it is already the 2nd Z35 for me, both with these colour banding.

It's difficult to know what the images are that you've posted, but they look pretty bad. The picture quality on my z35 is sharp and has some depth to it when viewing - it's very clear, no banding or ghosting and overclocked without a hitch. I'm in the process of moving house so had to pack it away so can't take any more pics right now, but if you go to my earlier post you'll see the pic I put up while playing just cause 3. Sorry to hear you're having such an issue, interested to see how you go. Separately in really surprised that there are no inbox ins or reviews up on you tube (apart from one in Thai which you can watch and guess what they think lol)

Back
Top Bottom