** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Discovered a new rot hole, inner nearside rear arch where it joins to the sill, hidden behind the outer arch lip. I can fit my hand through it! :p :eek:

Never nice finding a new bit of rot, but I guess it can be dealt with at the same time as the sills, as when the sills are off there will be easy access to that area.

That's a classic rot trap on an E30. Usually extends well up the chassis and around the rear tubs. I would check the rest of the car comprehensively before proceeding any further, as you're getting pretty involved by that point.

Here:

That is looking through the hole into the sill.

gOMKNUk.png

I will get the wheel off and have a bit of a prod over the weekend...

That is about 3 inches from top to bottom.

I can't chicken out now, I'm already in it up to my neck. :p Will just have to get it done a bit at a time... I'm also going to learn to weld and am looking at buying welding equipment to share with a mate. :)

Last edited:
Do I look like Turbotoaster to you? :eek:

(go ahead)

:p

e; Ahhh its not *that* bad. It extends to a lesser extent along the lip of the arch to around a third of the way around, and the bit by the sill where the hole is is rotten about an inch further in diameter around the hole which is already there. Will be sorted. :)

I already thought I might have to replace the inner arch on this corner, so its just confirmed that really.

I shall not be deterred so easily!

Last edited:
Drove it to Brighton then over to Newhaven, around a few back roads, and back home again last night. Tried a couple of emergency stops as well, no ABS light, no funny noises, and everything working normally. Strange.

My God I do love the noise it makes though. And with all the new bits and pieces it is so smooth it is unbelievable. At 70MPH on a smooth road it is whisper quiet, no wind noise, nothing. Its really great, better than any car I've had...

Kudos to you for not being phased dude :)
I agree with that. I'm getting increasingly bored by new cars the older I get (maybe I'm just embracing my inner old fart!) and would love an E30 but I'm a rustaphobe. Maybe I could approach it like I did MX5 ownership and just spend a stupid amount on one that had been stripped down and rust proofed by an anal previous owner :p

Just come across this thread.
I understand you are quite young, still living off the rents, have some free time and limited responsibility, into your older cars etc?.. yet you are shelling out to garages to do your work (and reading the last few posts, they arnt even doing them well)...

Dude. Surely this is the time to invest in a few tools, get stuck in and learn about mechanics. This era of car is as simple as it comes, so why not? Prime learning specimen. Wheel bearing narked? Get a press and a puller. Hole in sill? Get a cheap mig welder and get on YouTube.

Few jobs down the line you find the tools start paying for themselves. Plus you'll actually be saving money in comparison with paying garage in first place.

Amirite or amirite? it'll also make the thread more interesting when you feg up :p

Sorry, haven't done anything to it. Wednesday the garage are taking it back so they can sort the ABS fault they introduced. Suspect the part they fitted was faulty.

Back
Top Bottom