** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Looks decent, well done.. Well done on taking pictures that is ;)

Haha thanks...

I was also doing some grinding, drilling, cutting, disassembly, stripping underseal and seam sealer, moving wires out of the way of the heat, passing tools, and dabbing out fires. And will also be applying seam sealer, filling, sanding, and painting!

Just I thought I'd better leave the fitment and welding to the professional. :p

This car is so ******* cool

Ha thanks. :D

So you've done most of it and then paid someone to weld it up? :) Can't argue with that. Although, welding is the best part. The rest is just annoying!

Not exactly, for example with the first sill, I got the car up on stands, stripped out the interior, took off the sill covers and the metal re-enforcing bracket where it bolts to the subframe at the back, cleaned it up, then he marked it up, cut it, and cut the repair section to size, and did the same with the inner. Then I painted it, then he welded it up, and now I need to grind the weld flat and skim and sand.

Basically anything which requires skill he does. Cos I don't want to balls it up. :p

That's a lot of rust :eek:, did you kick the floor and your leg went through it? :D

I'm careful not to poke, prod, or indeed kick, anything too hard in this car unless I'm prepared for that to happen! :p

But nah it wasn't that bad really, there weren't actually any visible holes in the floor pan yet, unlike many!

So after ages of trying to diagnose why it was running like crap, including replacing the fuel pump, I discovered the cause...

HT lead #1 was arcing on the exhaust heatshield... Bent the heatshield down slightly and twisted the HT lead 45 degrees, runs sweet as a nut...

FFS. :p

Nice one Cookeh :)

Old cars are great. If a little anxiety inducing. :p

Speaking of not half arsing things, I found and cleaned back a 1P sized hole in the floor yesterday and my friend had to almost physically restrain me to prevent me from smearing some seam sealer over it instead of welding it up. He succeeded and welded it up for me instead. I maintain that it would have been fine... :D

Also spent far too long with a wire wheel on a drill cleaning off the old seam sealer and some surface rust etc from the inner lip of one of the sills, and then put a couple of layers of zinc primer on it, ready to apply new seam sealer... Got to do the same on the other side... :o

Right well, aside from us being a bit thick and not closing the door to check the alignment until after, and discovering its out (derp) another successful day of chopping. :) (Will figure out how to sort the alignment later... :p)

Rain is ideal weather for this sort of work as I'm sure you'll agree. Enter, the camo canopy!

R7f4iQA.jpg

JyPLGq4.jpg

Crispy crispy where the dirt has just sat under the lip for years.
ScgMTtN.jpg

kMKgQs0.jpg

Yum
xPsJW1W.jpg

Bit of valance...
wlQDu4S.jpg

Blurry rot
KSBhvUr.jpg

More canopy action
lwIvY2K.jpg

Cor. Still more of the inner to chop out, have ordered another outer arch to cut up and use as an outer-inner arch. (Inners are NLA)
vqTQMGL.jpg

Gape
euW0JQF.jpg

Can see the inner bit is still crispy even after chopping a fair amount off...
ueBhF4a.jpg

FYpw4xo.jpg

RVnf4zB.jpg

Mmmm new metal! :cool:
FgMApbK.jpg

XjjdORP.jpg

S8ewOUk.jpg

Still lots more fab to do on the inner bit
lB0Laee.jpg

And more cutting needed here
4VensA7.jpg

Door shut
pEvxkc0.jpg

Shoddy alignment of the panel line... :p
NKyUc9f.jpg

Peekaboo! Tread depth monitoring system and exterior jack access. Its a feature!
gIeauiu.jpg

@sigma indeed, the amount of work left to do is still very daunting though!

@Cleisthenes Yeeeeeeeeee - Shame about that alignment though... Should be able to bring it out flush with the door by beating it from the inside along that edge, but as for the consistancy of the trim line... Not sure... Possibly chop that small bit, move it down a tiny bit, weld it back in, and weld in a small new bit, then grind it flat but thats a lot of work so probably beat it with a hammer to bring the line down a bit and then smooth the result with some filler.

I didn't get many pictures today, but the other footwell area and the engine bay tray one one side is sorted. No major issues. One small fire, and we melted the accelerator pedal. :p

BTMtuLD.jpg

53D1yMo.jpg

BuDWwaQ.jpg

Bit less tidy that the last few bits (welding upwards is a pain etc) but it does the job. :)

Much left to do?

Welding wise, the rest of the rear arch/boot pocket area on the nearside rear, and then the inner rear arch near the fuel filler cap, the other boot pocket, and the scuttle... :)

Sounds like a lot, but we've already done the passenger front footwell, drivers front footwell & wheelarch, offside engine bay tray, nearside rear outer arch and valance, nearside full sill, and offside sill flush patches on both jacking points... :o

I'm honestly most worried about the bodywork that comes after cos I haven't a scoobydoo what I'm doing...

I have my own welder and a load of scrap metal etc, but I don't want to do the welding on the car, and the guy who does it has his own kit anyway.

My time is spent on fire-watch, scraping seam sealer and underseal and dabbing out small fires, moving things out of the way, etc... :p

Not a lot been happening cos of the weather. Edges of the new welds were starting to rust on the surface so I wire wheeled it all back, primered it again, and put some seam sealer on, ready to primer again, then put some chassis black on.

Turns out I'm useless at applying seam sealer, and I have the wrong type of brush so it just got all clogged up... So I'm going to have to wire wheel it all off and do it again. Or put more on top... The former would probably be better... :o

Stripped the old underseal and dirt and crud off of one inner arch which took lots of scraping and wire wheeling and scraping and cleaning, put seam sealer on the edges of the footwell repair then painted it with chassis black... The other side is next. Can you tell which is which? :p

9ZPPJN8.jpg

XpfjqGI.jpg

Oh and I have a new shiny. Well, 50% shiny. Honestly, the tips are a tiny bit too big for my taste but I am a sucker for the angled tips and it was a really good price from a mate. Heard it on his car and it sounds awesome.

tVK5ijP.jpg

cgY3A4i.png

Back
Top Bottom