** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Wouldn't a coat of sealant and wax stop the paint fading so badly?
Yes, but ideally want to find something with out of this world protection. The issue is finding something with decent UV protection, a lot of waxes and sealants prevent it but obviously don't block it completely. The best coatings however, don't bond very well to single stage paint. So it's finding something that will that isn't a pain to apply, Gtechniq C1 seems to be the best :)

Carlack Complete seems to be a popular choice however because it can be layered very very easily building up constant resilience.

The only solution is to get a respray and that's not exactly cheap. Red will never fade these days if done correctly.

Long term yep. But if I can keep it red for a couple of years that would be great. Lots of cutting and polishing and then coating with UV protection etc, and hope for the best.

I haven't got the time or patience for that but also not got enough money to blow on a respray...

Very nice :)

Thanks. :)

Few updates to come, with pictures... Bought new mirrors with new glass and a few other bits, fixed the wiper motor so intermittent wipers work, fixed the ABS, replaced some more interior trim, and found a rot hole in the firewall...

Thankfully very small and right at the top, easily accessable with the dashboard out so it can be patched up. Really hoped I wouldn't find it there! Bloody old cars!

Its been poked a bit, painted with rust converting paint, and filled with fibreglass reinforced filler in the mean time. So that water can't get in more than anything else, but it will slow its progression too.

2 days until Santa Pod BMW Show. Still have so much to do! :o :p

More mopping, lots of blackening, hopefully getting new tyres fitted, then a full valet of course. Bit of black paint in the wheel arches so you can't see the rot too. :rolleyes:

Going to take some pictures at the show to send to the chap I bought it from. I think it will make him happy to see how far its come. Bet he didn't think it would ever be displayed at a car show! Even if it won't exactly be the best thing there! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom