** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Bought some wheels. Some retro Melbers which are in need of repair/refurb. Snagged them for £90 on eBay, getting the two buckles and the curbing fixed for £80~, and then I shall strip them back and re-paint them in a standard BBS silver colour... Bit of a bargain considering refurbished sets of these go for £500 - £600. :)

They look like this now:

GSiXr3p.png

And will look a bit like this when done:

D8jekck.png

And yes I really am painting over the lovely polished aluminium lips... They wouldn't suit the car otherwise!

There will of course be wheel refurb progress pics. :)

Also I bought my big-bore throttle body today.

And a genuine E30 first aid kit which is 100% complete and the contents have not been opened! Which is pretty cool. It will never been seen because it will live in the rear boot pocket where it belongs, but its nice to know its there... :)

Last edited:
Probably contains a bunch of out of date stuff! Nice! :p

And yes, these things do actually have dates. Things start to become not-sterile anymore, antiseptic things go off and things like plasters will lose their 'sticky' making them as much use as a wet leaf when it comes to stopping something bleeding :)

It's not gonna be seen anyway like you say, so should have spent the money on a nice new one! :D

It was £10 from a buddy, dated 1990 with everything in an air tight sealed bag. I'm sure some stuff probably won't work quite as well as intended, but the intention isn't to use it anyway. Its just to have it! I think some people have broken them open and successfully used the old bandages and plasters etc in a pinch. Not sure on the antiseptic wipes, I'm sure they may be a bit useless as you say!

Everything is dated 1990 and marked as made in West Germany. I just find that cool. Maybe just me... :) But the slot in the nearside boot cubby cover for the first aid kit is now populated, along with the jack, wheel brace, warning triangle, wheel chock, and other bits.

The only thing missing now is the original tool kit.

Fair enough if you don't intend on using it lol :D

Maybe grab one that would be useful though too in an emergency and hide it elsewhere :)

I have a little first aid kit in the glove box along with a hi-vis and other stuff... Full tool kit in the boot, even a fire extinguisher behind the passenger seat. Its allllll goooood. :)

Wheels dropped off to be refurbed, will be getting picture updates of the progress... :)

Going brushed metal lips with BMW Polaris 060 centres.

Replaced my rear nearside tail light seal which will hopefully stop my boot pocket getting wet...

Can I just say, as a Touring owner, I'd take a saloon over it. But I have a touring, and I am attached to it now, and I do like Tourings. :p

The dream is a 2/4dr pre-facelift. Preferably in a ghastly metallic beige/gold with a horrid brown interior. Mmmmmmm. :cool:

But I want to see my Touring plans through.

Haha they do... :p

I got stuck on that hill on my way out... Found a video on a random persons Insta....... :D

X7iSijb.png

I was also sitting in my boot and a few people bundled my legs in, shut the boot, and then started driving around........ :o :p

[pic removed]

Last edited:
I should really post an update, so this is to remind me to put up some pics tomorrow :p

New wheels are finished and on, had to roll the re-done rear arch cos the lip was quite wide and the wheel offset is low, ruined it in the process cos of the way the lips had been done (double skinned and spot welded) so that needs re-doing now. Meh. :p

Bought some sport seats, they're grey and need refurbing. Leather. Will be re-finished in black - Currently in bits. Replaced one of the bolster leathers with a new one because it was beyond repair.

Handbrake stopped working cos the shoes have seemingly disintegrated. Friends did the same, just shed what was left of the ancient friction material which is now rattling around inside the drum... Ordered new brake shoes, brake disks, brake pads, brake disk backplates, brake hoses, and wheel bearings for the back.

Also bought a Momo Prototipo steering wheel because it came up for a good price in as-new condition, and its much less bank breaking than the Nardi Deep Corn I originally wanted!

New fuel hose waiting to go on because the front section which goes from the hard line up to the engine bay is rock hard and I'm worried it will split soon. (Has happened to people in the past and caused fire......)

Still deciding what to do about the spray, colour wise etc...

Started listing all my spares for sale because I seem to have accumulated over £1000 worth... A lot of stuff has gone up in value since I got the car a couple of years ago, and I have a lot of bits kicking around which I got from breakers who didn't know their value etc. So that will all go towards the bodywork and paint!

The stone chip in the rear arches has failed and is starting to flake off, so I will get whoever does the re-spray to take them back and do it again properly with decent stone chip (gravitex, not tetrosyl)

Mechanically still hasn't missed a beat, now on 203,500 miles and ticking. Lots of several hundred mile days out.

:)

Wheels refurb progress:

nTunHrh.jpg

8RybTPp.jpg

IOWUwy0.jpg

d42R9d9.jpg

cqgDwVi.jpg

The fitment of the wheels:

cRGwF7E.jpg

Re-creating the correct centre caps along with a friend who runs a graphics business

LKE2sCk.png

Fun day out stuck on the motorway for hours after a bike accident. Fortunately no fatalities, both involved currently recovering in hospital:

cNt6sM9.jpg

Some of (not all of) the spares I need to sell to re-coup some cash... :p

wmAAJXG.jpg

0h7Ppju.jpg

edyKxKL.jpg

GtjXJhM.jpg

My sport seats:

QQGGTQi.jpg

One bolster leather replaced:

oUlEe1k.jpg

One totally stripped down so it can be treated and dyed properly. The other is as stripped down as I can get it as it has been welded up in the past (common on these seats)

vnTyhiK.jpg

Also this sodding tail light seal was the cause of water ingress in the boot.

4WAi9Zv.jpg

And I organised my spares and stuff. :p

mpgNI77.jpg

New steering wheel:

yJTLWfY.jpg

Last edited:
Sold some crypto which had rocketed unexpectedly compared to when I bought in, so increasing my budget for re-spray/bodywork considerably... Almost certainly going with a colour change to something a bit unusual / possibly unique in the UK.

Considerations include Mora Metallic Individual, and Kashmirbeige (available as an individual colour on the E30 Touring overseas, but not here) - As well as Alpineweiss II, and Lazurblau which were both OE option colours.

Also getting one sill and the rear arch re-done by someone who knows what they're doing. :p

Back
Top Bottom