** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Haha that seems to be the consensus from everyone so far. I'll leave it. :D

I really like it on silver ones, but it just looks like a fruit cocktail on a red one, with the red, yellow, and orange. :p

NOT MY CAR

But a red E30 Touring just like mine, photographed when less than 1 year old... I can only dream that one day maybe mine will look like this again.

dvEcmVS.jpg

:)

I think that one may be a different shade of red, I prefer that shade. Also suggests the rear number-plate may have been a special size originally?

And I need some mudflaps...

Have you done anything else to it?

To be honest, yours would look 8/10ths of that from the outside with just a really good machine polish, Aerospace 303 to blacken the plastic, a wheel refurb and some Megs tyre gel.

Haven't had a chance to do anything else to it just yet. New PAS reservoir has arrived (the old one leaks from a join), along with oil and filters (incl fuel filter).

Monday I'll be having a chat with my local mechanic (who luckily is an excellent welder!) armed with various photos, and then hopefully it should be going in to him to inspect properly and give me a ball-park figure for the rot repairs (only the ones to the shell for now.)

Filled it up again having driven like a bit of a loon on the last tank, and mostly town driving at that. 21.7MPG. Pretty pleased with that, was expecting high teens!

It does feel strange to look at the numbers "21.732" on the calculator having worked out the MPG, and to be pleased rather than shocked! :p

How saggy is your headlining

flings his bits in the dishwasher :cool:

But I do like the idea of turning...into a stroker.

A ... stroker sounds perfect for you

The bungs in the firewall end of the block were so hard

Its no wonder it was gushing

I've Jizered the engine block

Thread rename to "Acme's Innuendo Thread"? :eek: :D

Haven't had a chance to do anything else to it just yet. New PAS reservoir has arrived (the old one leaks from a join), along with oil and filters (incl fuel filter).

Monday I'll be having a chat with my local mechanic (who luckily is an excellent welder!) armed with various photos, and then hopefully it should be going in to him to inspect properly and give me a ball-park figure for the rot repairs (only the ones to the shell for now.)

Filled it up again having driven like a bit of a loon on the last tank, and mostly town driving at that. 21.7MPG. Pretty pleased with that, was expecting high teens!

It does feel strange to look at the numbers "21.732" on the calculator having worked out the MPG, and to be pleased rather than shocked! :p

Ah cool. Get ready to sit down when he gives you a quote! Rust is one of those things where you find it, and then you just keep finding more.

I'm expecting the number to be between £1K and £2K, closer to £1K would be preferred... If its closer to £2K I'll still pay it, but I'll have to have a little cry first. :p

Thread rename to "Acme's Innuendo Thread"? :eek: :D

You're making me wet with tears of laughter. Stop making it hard for me to concentrate. :p

Last edited:
Think twice before you sink any money into removing rust from existing panels, rust is incredibly hard to ever eradicate, and you will probably find that given another year it simply manifests itself again. You'll need to have surprisingly large sections of metal removed from around any spot.

I trust that he knows what he is doing thankfully. I suspect that he will cut out reasonably large bits. The sills may get replaced entirely if necessary for example.

New PAS reservoir fitted, PAS hoses cleaned off, new hose clamps, bit more of a clean to the side of the block, and a top-up of ATF.

No pic because a.) its dark and b.) there isn't much to look at! :)

Also noticed my front tyres were looking soft, and subsequently discovered they were on 13PSI [:eek:] despite only pumping them up to about 35PSI a few weeks ago... So they need to come off, alloys need a scrub, then new valves and re-fit tyres.

I don't know the history of the front tyres, how old they are, how long they have been on the rims, etc. The rears are holding pressure fine (I had replacement tyres put on those)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom