** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Yes of course, I am not under an illusion that spending £1000 on repairing rust suddenly makes it worth £1000 more. :)

But you are essentially saying that I only have two options... Strip it down to a bare shell and do a full restoration and re-build, or let it rot out... As far as I can see that is simply not the case?

If I let it rot then it will get to a point where I want to have it cut and repaired anyway because rot spots have turned into holes, and holes have turned into bigger holes. and it will cost me more to repair than if I do it now, and doing it now should prevent the spread of rot in those areas?

I suppose I could leave it "for now" - but I do want to get it sorted at some point... I am being quite serious when I say that I have no intention of selling this car.

Last edited:
I'm going to counterpoint and say that if it's done properly – with decent prep, metal and protection – you shouldn't end up chasing it around. My Dodge had two rear quarter panels (huge pieces) welded on in '95 and – guess what – they're still perfect, as are the bits they're attached to. That's despite other areas nearby suffering from corrosion in the meantime.

Exactly. And I don't see why you can't have a similar effect with smaller pieces? I have a 1" by 1" rot blister on my inner rear arch... If say a 6" square is cut out, so I'm well into good metal in all directions, then a new piece is welded in place and painted and sealed on both sides, I fail to see how it is going to "go rotten again a year later" or whatever? :p

Steel rusts, that's pretty much an inescapable fact of life. We slow down that process as much as possible by coating/painting and so on. I would agree with Lashout - well repaired areas shouldn't just rot again immediately, all cars will have some sort of corrosion even those preserved inside their whole lives.

Actually, I went to look at my Manta the other day. The floor was hastily repaired by me about 6 years ago, I didn't do a brilliant job and the car is permanently damp. It's still not rusted back through - there is some mild bubbling at one corner which is not bad at all.

I disagree that you need to strip it and rebuild it or just let it rot - because I've seen plenty of spot repairs carried out well (I've also seen plenty carried out badly!)

Well at least there is some balance restored to the thread... Thanks Lopez and Lashout, and to Jez and McKnifey for providing the "balance" ;) :p

Tracking done, only 1 degree out. Also got a goooood long look underneath it while it was up on the ramp. One of the 'rot spots' on the floorpan isn't actually rot! Win! But the edge of the fuel tank where it bolts onto the floor is crusty rotten. Meh.

Really not that bad underneath at all actually... I was really incredibly surprised, pleasantly so...

Loads of nice comments from the people in the garage too. One of them was starstruck because he apparently had one just like it years ago, and I had a good chat with another guy who has an XJ40 XJR.

Last edited:
This is just the latest fad surely, you'll get bored and move onto the next cool scene thing and all that money will have been wasted. Yesterday it was all about Toyota and VVTLi now its all about mad tyte drifting yo and two-way radio conversations about how annoying it is that E90's don't have an LSD. Tomorrow it'll be something completely different..

This is just the latest fad surely, you'll get bored and move onto the next cool scene thing and all that money will have been wasted. Yesterday it was all about Toyota and VVTLi now its all about mad tyte drifting yo and two-way radio conversations about how annoying it is that E90's don't have an LSD. Tomorrow it'll be something completely different..
Better than being a bore I suppose.

Do you ever say anything constructive, meaningful, or positive, on the subject of anything I ever do, ever?

I've already said that the E30 is here to stay, and I've said why. If that isn't good enough for you then fine!

I know my track record for owning cars isn't exactly brilliant, I know I am a bit of an idiot, I know I am immature and make mistakes, but I hoped that people would be able to see that perhaps things are a bit different this time around... :)

I've never spent time and money on a car like I have with this one, I've never WANTED to spend time and money on fixing a car up before, and I've never had a car which gives me the feeling this one does when I drive it. Not to mention that I've wanted to own an E30 since well before I even learned to drive. I actually almost bought one in 2012 before I even passed my test, and the only reason I didn't was because the insurance was £1K more than an ecobox. It was a 1987 316 carby chromie manual saloon in luxorbeige. I still regret not buying it, even now I have one.

Last edited:
Yea, I think the MX5 was a great buy and is a brilliant car.

Way to make me feel like a dick. :)

Thanks... I think we need to stop this feud... I'm trying to be more open and honest, and be more mindful and respectful of other peoples views and experience these days... But you're sometimes a sticking point for me. I think its the condescending tone which you somehow get across really well in text form! ;)

I thought you'd be pleased I'm in a 6 cylinder BMW, even if its a stupid one. :D

Last edited:
Acme stop explaining yourself and do what you want lol. Many people have different views about cars so chances of them agreeing with everything you do are low. Your money your choice just crack on with it. Use a bit of turbotoasters mind set ;) not too much tho.

Attempting to explain myself has become a habit over the years of being on these boards... I don't want to be a Turbotoaster, otherwise I'd blank any negative posts completely. :p

Acme do what you want man, I see what Fox is saying about moving on to the next thing but isnt that what we do?
Go out and experience things, make memories that we can look back on?
All those things that have been mentioned from the Polo to the Toyota's is something you have gone out and done and experienced.
I say good on you for going out there and doing something different, your not taking it too seriously (I hope!) and you're having fun whilst doing it!

Crack on I say!

Also Acmetoaster is a good shout! ;)

Aye do as you wish. I've wasted thousands on messing with cars when I could have had far nicer cars thinking back but I'd have been bored.

Some people like their Luxobarges, some people don't really find any interest with that but why the Luxobarge brigade tell others what is right and wrong on here... why? Do you rule the world? No. Let people do as they wish, if they earn their own money, let them waste their own money. Especially those like Acme, as I think over the years no matter what anyone says, he will go against it and do his own thing :D I am guilty of it but I don't post as much on here as of late due to the constant negativity! Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy having a read on here though and there are wonderful cars of all ages and types on here which I like to see. However, it's all well and good saying Acme will never change... the one's saying that will never change either.

Perhaps the lesson to be learnt is spend less time talking on here and more time enjoying what you want to do with the car :)

And I still bet my Astra drives nicer ;) :p

Back
Top Bottom