** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Associate
That is also part of the appeal. It sounds a damn sight faster than it is though, thats the only thing. :p

Whilst not wanting to sound old (which I am) and boring (which I don't think I am) this comment backs up my sentiment. Nothing like hearing a chavtastic 50cc scooter howling away yet crawling past at 30mph.

Seriously though, why would you mess with the glorious sound of that incredible engine. A decent exhaust system will put a smile on your face every time you fire it up, every time you can let it rev its heart out, and every time in between.

No fancy (read needlessly expensive) gadgets required.

Caporegime
OP
Period correct head unit (dealer fit optional extra incl loom etc)
t2KOtkqh.jpg

And a set of replacement speakers which are a straight fit into both the front and rear enclosures. Alpine SXE-1235S'
FRGeB7dh.jpg

£60 incl postage for the lot. Head units like that frequently sell for £80~ alone on the bay, and the speakers are almost new and are around £100 for four usually.

Probably not the best mix-match in the world but it will be a massive improvement in sound quality and will fit in a lot better compared to this:

t42Z1xah.png.jpg

Will get a bluetooth FM transmitter thing and tuck it away somewhere. :)

Soldato
I doubt very much that an old Panasonic tape deck head unit will have a better amplifier than a modern unit.

Also FM radio is the equivalent of about 96kbps. I won't even mention the possible bitrate of an MP3 file as I'm sure you're aware.

I'd keep the JVC (or fit a better unit, not worse :p) and install the speakers.

Caporegime
OP
The amp won't be better, but the HU will actually suit the interior. Thats the main goal. I don't often use the radio in it. :)

The improvement in SQ which I touted would simply be because the rear speakers don't work at all, and the front ones are unbalanced and buzzy, theyre all shot basically. Not down to the amp.

Didn't know I'd only be getting 96kb/s though... :o

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Also FM radio is the equivalent of about 96kbps. I won't even mention the possible bitrate of an MP3 file as I'm sure you're aware.

Have you ever listened to FM and then 96kbps digital audio? :p

A strong FM signal is very much superior to DAB or MP3 audio. Digital is generally considered to require 300kbps+ to sound similar to analogue audio.

You can estimate the approximate Audio information [1] content of FM by using the bandwidth and dynamic range. FM pretty much tops out at about 15K and the dynamic range is about 70db. Each bit represents approx 6db so we need just under 12 bits and a sampling rate of 30K.

Thus = 12 x 30,000 x 2 (2 channels) = 720Kbps (CD is 1411kbps) that is uncompressed.

1. FM transmission is somewhat more complex than that with carriers and what have you but we are not interested in that level of accuracy.

Caporegime
OP
I think I'll be sticking with the FM transmitter idea, I've found one which gets good reviews, and it only needs to sound "OK" which the reviews suggest is the case. :)

So @Jez, are you saying that the quality output by the FM transmitter should be far superior to 96kb/s digital audio? I'm confused as to how this works... :o Is it because its an analogue signal so its "smoother"?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Analogue audio doesnt have a bitrate as such, it has a bandwidth. To represent that same bandwidth digitally requires a bitrate of around 720kbps going by the calculations above.

But yeah you only need to listen to DAB radio, vs FM radio, to hear how much better FM is.

Caporegime
OP
Honestly the signal around here is so poor (or the aerials in all of my cars have been so poor, but I've had 6 so I suspect its the area) that I haven't ever been able to compare the two properly, and DAB always sounds better simply because its not all crackly. :p

But that is good to know, thanks. :)

And just to update, car has now been gone 12 days and I haven't heard anything. Starting to wonder if it is in the back of a lorry destined for a Brummie chop shop... :eek:

Will poke my head in again this week and see how its coming along. I did say there isn't a rush, but I didn't expect them to take it so literally.

Caporegime
OP
What's being done?

If you tell a mechanic no rush then he'll most definitely forget about it lol

Work to carry out:
- Replace sump gasket (modern Loctite or similar solution preferred to OEM cork gasket)
- Replace oil and oil filter in conjunction with the above (Supplied)
- Replace control arm ‘Lollipop’ bushes (E36 M3 bushes which are direct fit, part no. 31129064875)
- Replace drop links
- Replace front wheel bearing (Nearside)
- Repair brake pipes where they are heavily corroded incl. fluid renew
- Replace fuel filter (Supplied)

- Investigate clutch issue whereby bite point sometimes drops right to the bottom of the pedal travel where it is usually high up (pumping the clutch rectifies this) – Possibly clutch slave cylinder? Rectify and renew clutch fluid which appears to be contaminated.

- Investigate issue where brake pad thickness warning is always illuminated. Suspected that brake pads without wear indicators are fitted. If so, replace brake pads with items with wear indicators. If the wear indicator plugs/wires are missing or damaged on the car itself then please ignore this and leave it as-is for the time being.

- If while the car is apart you notice any wear and tear parts which can be replaced cheaply which are not listed, then please do so if it is reasonable/viable to do so. (If parts available etc)

- Similarly if you notice any items which would benefit from replacement which are more expensive then please give me a ring/text/email using the details above.

There was something else as well which I can't quite remember. Basically just wanted to drop it off and get a load of bits and bobs done to move things along a bit while I'm at work etc.

I have a small heap of bits and pieces to stick on it when I get it back, head unit and speakers, the bonnet, few little plastic bits and bobs... Then time for welding, and I can wave goodbye to it for another few weeks... :p

Caporegime
OP
Aside from the sump gasket which requires an engine hoist/support beam and dropping the subframe, which is the main reason it went in. And then I thought I might as well get them to sort a few other things too... :p

But now I do wish I had done quite a lot of it myself... Still, I'm excited to get it back... :)

Aaaaaany day now...

Caporegime
OP
Thursday! :)

Apparently the bleed nipple on a rear caliper snapped and he's waiting for a replacement caliper to arrive from eBay because the motorfacters didn't have any, and BMW's price he said was "a bit mental". He said he was going to extract it, but he broke his extractor tool trying to get it out, and then broke his spare one. So he's having a bit of a mare... :D

Back
Top Bottom