Advice for first flight

My one and only comment is if you get a neck pillow wear it correctly, the opening should be at the back of the neck not the front!

I don't use laptops on flight in economy because the angle is bad due to the lack of space. Also, be careful of the sudden recline of the person in front of you, you might end up with a broken laptop when the screen get caught between the latch and the table and the screen gets trapped and crushed.

Things I do

1 - Pick an aisle seat. Window seats are for short haul.
I would also add to this that on long haul when its 3-4-3 seating an aisle seat on the 4 is better than on the 3.

Last edited:
I'll add some serious advice. Yes I know, I know, I'm sorry everyone.

I have an 8" tablet that I download films etc onto. The in-flight films are usually good but it's nice to have some variety. I have a battery pack and USBC charger that I take too, along with noise cancelling earbuds. I keep all this in a small Tomtoc cross body bag. I keep my passport and any paperwork in the cross body bag. I usually leave the cross body bag in my carry-on bag until I get to the check in. I then remove it and wear it swung around to my front (as I usually have a backback too - I never check in luggage and only ever travel with carry on which is typically a 30L backpack). When on the plane I put my backpack in the overhead locker and keep the cross body bag with me which has all my electronic entertainment, paperwork, currency, passport, etc. It saves me having to get anything that I've forgotten out of the overhead locker.

A couple of drinks beforehand, and during the flight, is always worthwhile. On a long haul flight you will usually be given a pillow and blanket to help you sleep. Consider over ear noise cancelling headphones (I never bother as I travel ultralight onebag so earbuds work better for me). Have a hoodie with you in case it gets cold in flight. Wear comfy clothes that you can relax and fall asleep in. Consider an eye mask if you have difficulty sleeping. I love flying.

No mention of Boeing
... which planes/seats have USB power though - if I took a tablet I wouldn't have 10hr autonomy, work laptop doesn't have that either.

If you’re going to smoke, have the courtesy for your fellow passengers of ensuring it’s a premium cigar so they can enjoy the aromas.

Also, make sure you book your Uber Eats / Deliveroo to your seat in decent time before landing.

Last edited:
I can reccomend these

Seriouly though, aviation is very reliable, its a very rare occation that any issues are experienced

modern flights are designed to be highly resiliant these days,

I love flying, I am taking a BA flight on Sunday to Greece, looking forward to it , although i hope i get a damn window seat this time, i should have reserved one, last time i was on the last seat at the back of the plane with no window, although i got to sit next to a nice lady so it wasn't bad

Last edited:
Get some valium from the doc so you sleep the whole way. That's what I did for my trip to USA.
Though it backfired on way out, couldn't sleep, plus with time zone change, was a walking zombie by night time.
Slept the whole way back though.

Get some valium from the doc so you sleep the whole way. That's what I did for my trip to USA.
Though it backfired on way out, couldn't sleep, plus with time zone change, was a walking zombie by night time.
Slept the whole way back though.
Once seen a guy completely comatose as everyone else had left the plane pretty much. At least I think he was still alive, they might have just wanted everyone off before they had to deal with it.

Once seen a guy completely comatose as everyone else had left the plane pretty much. At least I think he was still alive, they might have just wanted everyone off before they had to deal with it.

They'd usually off them first if still alive.

After you get where you're going, take off your shoes and your socks, then you walk around on the rug barefoot and make fists with your toes.
I know, I know, it sounds crazy. Trust me, I been doing this for nine years.
Yessir, better than a shower and a hot cup of coffee!!

Back
Top Bottom