Poll: Aero or lightweight bike?

Aero or lightweight bike?

• Total voters
Soldato
I voted lightweight personally because I think it looks nicer :o Really though the reason it would be pointless for me having an aero bike is that as a rider I am very non aero :p

Soldato
I'd choose lightweight, I don't go anywhere near quick enough to get aero advantages.

See this is a misinformed opinion. You'd be surprised how little speed you need to go to get the benefits of aero, and then the gains to be made from the power you're putting out are greater. Reduced effort means you can go faster for longer on a ride for the same energy output. Either way going aero with discs is just a disgusting choice.

Soldato
OP
Either way going aero with discs is just a disgusting choice.
This country warrants disc brakes.
I've done so many sportive rides in wet conditions meaning no/little brake stopping power when coming down hills. Having no braking confidence means I drag the brake all way down to maintain a controllable speed which is slow.

Also, riding through winter/wet gritty conditions destroys the rear calliper resulting in reduced rear braking performance.

Associate
I'd choose lightweight, I don't go anywhere near quick enough to get aero advantages.

See this is a misinformed opinion. You'd be surprised how little speed you need to go to get the benefits of aero, and then the gains to be made from the power you're putting out are greater. Reduced effort means you can go faster for longer on a ride for the same energy output. Either way going aero with discs is just a disgusting choice.

Haha, so true.

After going out in my MTB gear today, I'm considering changing my vote to Aero.
In WA state and didn't expect to be on a road bike, it could also have been the gradients, but i'll stick to the flappy top and shorts excuse for my terrible performance today.. lol

Soldato

I'm not sure why anyone ever thought aero was only relevant at high speed, it's one of those zombie facts of the cycling world. Also goes with everyone pointing out 40km/h wind tunnels are pointless as only pros go that speed, but of course relative velocity is what matters and most reasonable cyclists can maintain 30km/h in a 10km/h headwind

Soldato
OP
The problem for us non pro's chasing free speed aero gains is open roads.

A rider can spend lots of pounds changing to an aero frame, helmet, clothing, wheels and an aero position to gain several minutes over 40km, but if they hit a red light, traffic or junction at the wrong time then the aero gains are all lost because you are stopped.

Soldato
The problem for us non pro's chasing free speed aero gains is open roads.

A rider can spend lots of pounds changing to an aero frame, helmet, clothing, wheels and an aero position to gain several minutes over 40km, but if they hit a red light, traffic or junction at the wrong time then the aero gains are all lost because you are stopped.

Then dont think of it just in speed terms then, think of it as energy conservation. Aero allows you to travel at the same speed as a lightweight on the flats using less power

Man of Honour
Then dont think of it just in speed terms then, think of it as energy conservation. Aero allows you to travel at the same speed as a lightweight on the flats using less power

This. For longer rides anything that means that I either get to my destination quicker or (arguably more importantly) use less energy in the same duration of time is a good thing.

Soldato
This country warrants disc brakes.
I've done so many sportive rides in wet conditions meaning no/little brake stopping power when coming down hills. Having no braking confidence means I drag the brake all way down to maintain a controllable speed which is slow.

Also, riding through winter/wet gritty conditions destroys the rear calliper resulting in reduced rear braking performance.

Jesus Christ.

Soldato
For shame:
Berger, Bunka, DanF, Dis86, grudas, lordrobs, mattyfez, platypus, Raptor, Sgt_Pepper, topgun06

:p

:D My excuse is that I'm fat and slow and would therefore look way too try hard or 'all the gear no idea' on an aero bike. Truth be told the same applied to a lightweight bike which is why I happily ride an entry level aluminium jobbie :p

Back
Top Bottom