Ageism should we tolerate it?

Caporegime
That’s a fair point. But there are many many pensioners that aren’t in this boat and they are probably the ones shopping at Iceland needing a discount.

Also you are forgetting that any income over the tax free allowance gets taxed so by the time pensioners get their state pension it doesn’t take more than a few K to be paid from the private pension before pensioners start losing 20% off their private pension withdrawal.

No, I’ve certainly not forgotten that income tax exists. You were referring to 400k in cash so I just commented on that.

Man of Honour
Note that the chart is household wealth, not individual
Good spot. That makes me think maybe it's due to that bracket including boomerang kids living with their parents in expensive property, although I would have expected the other wealth to be higher (i.e. why is household pension so low).

Regardless, even for a couple £79k property wealth in 20s isn't bad going.

Soldato
Good spot. That makes me think maybe it's due to that bracket including boomerang kids living with their parents in expensive property, although I would have expected the other wealth to be higher (i.e. why is household pension so low).
I've not seen the original data source but, from a vague memory for this sort of thing, isn't it based on the age of the main earner or something?

Man of Honour
Boomerang kids could impact that, e.g. the main earner in the household might be late 20s but they are living in their parents house that's worth hundreds of thousands but was bought a long time ago so has huge equity even if the parents don't earn that much.
Then the average will be boosted by property developers and what have you with loads of equity.
However it still seems high, it's also by fair the most extreme ratio of PropertyWealth:FinancialWealth (i.e. they have more than 20x as much Property Wealth as Finance Wealth) and they have well over half their wealth in property (no other age bracket comes close). In some ways this makes sense because people of that age probably plough all their money into a house deposit rather than savings and investments, but as you say, if less than 20% actually own property, then it's a bit odd because all the people saving up for a house who haven't yet bought should have money in financial wealth.

Yeah I shop there a lot to be honest. Their pizzas are nice too. These were amazing but they stopped them now:

iceland_scarily_spicy_carolina_reaper_curry_375g_73398.jpg

Highly recommended their Jalfrezi and Madras too. The chicken in them are usually big chunks and you get a considerable helping, chicken is decent too not rubbery crap.

I love a Madras and have been noted to adding chopped Scotch Bonnet to my tomato soup, so I have noted this post :)

Soldato
OP
You seem to have ignored the state pension which is an additional 10k a year… so 36k per year tax free… equivalent to someone earning circa £48,000 per year in salary. Though most people earning that via salary probably have a mortgage or rent to pay.

Oh and that’s ignoring any equity release on their property or just downsizing.
Pensioners pay tax

Soldato
There is plenty of ageism in this thread.

Iceland is a private company , they can arrange their affairs as they see fit in a democratic capitalist world.

PS not many OAP's will be buying the carolina reaper option. Breathing can be hard enough. :D

PPS we did steal all the best music. :p

Soldato
You're ignoring that the figures above are net.
Did you declare the source of the data quoted? A quick reread of the thread and I cannot see it.

I don't see any column that looks like average  income.

What is financial wealth in that table?

@LabR@t is correctr tax is paid on any income above the allowance.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is plenty of ageism in this thread.

Iceland is a private company , they can arrange their affairs as they see fit in a democratic capitalist world.

Replace "over 60s" with one of the following:

- White people
- Men
- Christians
- heterosexuals
- non-disabled people

Still don't see a problem with it?

Doesn't really bother me TBH, I dont shop at Iceland, but not sure how you can justify arbitrarly picking and choosing which legally protected characteristics are OK to discriminate against?

Soldato
Replace "over 60s" with one of the following:

- White people
- Men
- Christians
- heterosexuals
- non-disabled people

Still don't see a problem with it?
Not really no. Allowing for your obvious strawman examples. All such offers would have to be legal, decent and not likely to cause reputational damage.
People are not a protected category, nor are people over or under 60. A very arbitrary cut off as it neither means in work or retired.

Caporegime
I'm sure if your in that age group, shopping in iceland than a discount would be helpful.

Would be a bit different if it was waitroise maybe. Not sure why anyone would be upset about this.

Man of Honour
Not really no. Allowing for your obvious strawman examples. All such offers would have to be legal, decent and not likely to cause reputational damage.
People are not a protected category, nor are people over or under 60. A very arbitrary cut off as it neither means in work or retired.
Age is a protected characteristic though, which I think is what Haggisman is getting at.

Caporegime
Yeah, I don’t necessarily agree with him as I think some age discrimination is useful but the point he made isn’t necessarily a straw man argument, age is a protected characteristic.

Soldato

Which strawman?

Age is as much a protected characteristic as any of the examples I gave.

Like I said, this in itself doesn't really bother me, but why is giving all over 60s a discount OK, but giving all straight white men wouldn't be? It's either a protected characteristic or it isn't.

For all practical purposes stating that "Iceland are increasing prices for all under 60s" would have the same effect, but I bet people wouldn't be happy about that!

Back
Top Bottom