Air Con Suggestions

Don
Don't know full details at moment but mate has an aircon company and has told me that a new Mitsubishi split unit for bedroom would be 900 fitted (mates rates) , I assume this is good price

Soldato
OP
The £320 Ecoair Artica 8000btu portable unit i got having started this thread has turned out to be awesome during this heatwave. No regrets at all :) Runs at about 800w and fully chills double bedroom to about 20 degrees - feels way colder than that though!

I will investigate a proper split unit though when no longer renting.

Soldato
Don't know full details at moment but mate has an aircon company and has told me that a new Mitsubishi split unit for bedroom would be 900 fitted (mates rates) , I assume this is good price

R32 unit? If so that's a good price

Soldato
If not, it's worth asking him about the R32 unit, it uses the new refrigerant and had the little isensor which detects where your sitting and you can either have it blow directly at you or alternatively you can have it so the fan directly avoids you. It's cool. Literally

Soldato
Are these inverted heat pumps supposed to be just for one room? They seem a lot less expensive than the £10k+ air source heat pumps I looked at before.

Soldato
I really want to replace my portable AC unit with a proper one, but the quick connect units only have 4M of pipe, I need 5-6M which means buying one which needs the air purging. I have Fgas certification but means buying a vacuum pump and stuff. I guess not the end of the world as I could DIY my car AC too with it :p

Soldato
Are these inverted heat pumps supposed to be just for one room? They seem a lot less expensive than the £10k+ air source heat pumps I looked at before.

Similar but different kind of thing. The air source heat pump is a boiler replacement. Ac units do heating or cooling but not your hot water. They can be split to do multiple rooms tho

Associate

I think it's creepy as anything... watching you move round the room...:)

I really want to replace my portable AC unit with a proper one, but the quick connect units only have 4M of pipe, I need 5-6M which means buying one which needs the air purging. I have Fgas certification but means buying a vacuum pump and stuff. I guess not the end of the world as I could DIY my car AC too with it :p

5m or an optional 10 with this one... https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eiq-12wminv/electriq-eiq12wminv-wall-split-air-conditioner

Go for it!
I make a mint every summer recharging car AC units - £35 a time, costs me about £3 in gas and most cars only need a top-up, takes 10 minutes from start to finish on most cars. Some don't even need gas, just the low pressure switch bypassed if it's gone wrong.
I even give a 2 week guarantee! 500 person office next to my work, and the first day it's hot my work inbox is full of emails from Civil servants asking if I can do their car at lunchtime - of course I can! :p
Big bit of wasteland across the road, I park up there and get the "big green bottle" and my gauges out, even have a cheapo generator if I need to pull a vacuum.
The wasteland fills up very quickly with people who don't want to pay some eejit at a tyre place to plug in his machine and type in what kind of car it is, then press "go", or go to Halfords and pay silly money for something that may not even fix the A/C.
I'm thinking of starting to install the splits our place design at nights, so many people want air con in the bedroom compared to last year - and I get a discount on our units. For about a month or so now I've been making more money from doing car A/C than I make from my actual job!

Last edited by a moderator:

RJC

RJC

Don
Got issue with my split unit not ramping up to full speed, managed to get it running full load on Saturday after adding a little refrigerant! But that was it, just sits the ticking over.

Soldato

I think there's a bit of confusion surrounding "easy fit" and "quick connect" split ACs. Seems "easy fit" denotes pre-made flared pipes but you still need to purge the lines with a vacuum, and "quick connect" removes the need for the vacuum.

I've looked around though and there aren't that many shops selling "quick connect" units.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I think there's a bit of confusion surrounding "easy fit" and "quick connect" split ACs. Seems "easy fit" denotes pre-made flared pipes but you still need to purge the lines with a vacuum, and "quick connect" removes the need for the vacuum.

I've looked around though and there aren't that many shops selling "quick connect" units.

Yep thats right, appliances direct are one who do sell them, among a few others;
"Quick Connector" is the type which does not require any purging.
"Easy Fit" is the type with pre flared ready to go pipes, but will need purging before use.

Soldato
Yeah that's right, and the quick connector ones only go up to around 4m, I need 5 or 6m to fit the outdoor unit on the end wall of my house. So I think I will spend ~£80 on a vacuum pump and gauges to purge the air on an easy fit kit.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yeah that's right, and the quick connector ones only go up to around 4m, I need 5 or 6m to fit the outdoor unit on the end wall of my house. So I think I will spend ~£80 on a vacuum pump and gauges to purge the air on an easy fit kit.
This is what i plan to do, the kits are everywhere on ebay and could be useful for car maintenance too.

Soldato
Absolutely. It's a shame the R134a prices are so silly else I'd buy a bottle for my cars! Still, I can do it for free at work so not a big deal. Thinking about it, my pipe run may be more like 8-10m by the time I've come a fair way down the wall too.

Back
Top Bottom