Poll: AirPods Max

Will you buy/have you bought AirPods Max?

• Yes

Votes: 26 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 197 88.3%

• Total voters
Associate
I think the inners and the colours are good but the actually headset design feels really strange.

I'm sure they'll sound great but at £550 they have given themselves a price that puts them up against some supppper stiff competition.

Happy to hear from those that actually stump up the cash how they find them compared to similar priced headsets.

Soldato
One issue that jumps out at me is at this price we can only assume Apple are trying to target the audiophiles out there however the first thing they will say is "wired is better" and that they have no way of hooking them up to their phonograph :p

Soldato
To me this is quite simple - they need to be better than the high-end wired ones that either cost the same or more, or far more (and are disruptive in that sector).

I'm glad they are proper over the ears and closed too.

Soldato
The biggest thing putting me off wouldn't be the price, it's that you're essentially buying something with a finite lifespan due to the battery. If I spend a couple of thousand something from Audeze then at least they won't become unusable after a few years of heavy use, and the resale value won't plummet.

Soldato
MacRumors user has spoken to Apple and the battery is replaceable apparently, which is good news re the life of the product. What remains to be seen is if it's easy to swap out in the same way getting iSmash or someone to put a fresh battery in an older iPhone is.

If the usual iFixit breakdown is positive then the only remaining question is, do these a) warrant the price over the highest end Sony/Bose/Focal/M&D offerings b) sound good enough to tempt the sort of person who commutes with something like a Beyerdynamic T5 on their head (which are nearly double the price).

Pricing is HomePods all over again tbh.

Soldato
AirPods Max require Apple devices running iOS 14.3 or later, they'll be delivered next week so that means iOS 14.3 will be dropping soon.

Can you check whether it has dropped already? I have an update today but don’t know whether it’s a beta build or not.

Commissario
it's that you're essentially buying something with a finite lifespan due to the battery.
That was actually one of the first things that I thought.

MacRumors user has spoken to Apple and the battery is replaceable apparently, which is good news re the life of the product. What remains to be seen is if it's easy to swap out in the same way getting iSmash or someone to put a fresh battery in an older iPhone is.
This is potentially good news although even bearing this in mind, they'd need to be phenomenally good for me to even consider them. It's going to be interesting to read the proper reviews when they're launched.

Can you check whether it has dropped already? I have an update today but don’t know whether it’s a beta build or not.
When I looked on the store a few minutes after these hit, delivery was showing as the 22nd December so it may not be quite as quickly as the 15th. It doesn't appear to be there at the moment.

Soldato
I wonder if they're deliberately priced a bit higher (relative to the AirPods Pro and AirPods) because they know sale volumes will be relatively low; headphones can serve up sound in ways that in-ears or buds never can as far as soundstage, physicality etc, but you see infinitely more people with AirPods or cheap bluetooth in-ears these days than you do Beats Studios or headphones in general, because they're more portable/discreet and people don't care about fidelity that much in my experience as long as there's dat bass.

They're not going to be gym or running-friendly either which limits the market further... these seem almost niche in a way. I guess like the SS Apple Watch it's going to be a case of whether these can draw in the sort of people that were paying similar of significantly more for the fancier wired headphones of the world.

The price doesn't put me off that much tbh, I currently use custom IEMs that were more than these things are when purchased them about 4-5 years ago and have a pair of Event Opals at home for music from my Mac, not unlike how some people pay a lot for luxury cars and some people just want a car to get from A to B. The questions for me will be...

1) do they sound better than all the other wireless headphones out there due to some of the tech like the spatial audio/adaptive EQ?
2) do they sound as good as some of the serious but not silly-priced wired headphones?
3) when I want to sell them on or kill the battery, will replacing it be easy/achievable?

I await the tear-downs and reviews.

Associate
It’s win win for Apple.

People are buying them now: Win. Delivery dates already pushed back to January.

People scoffing at the prices: “I’m not spending £550 on those....

But I’ll spend £250 on some AirPods Pro. That’ll stick it to Apple!”

Apple: Win.

Genius.

Soldato
I wonder if they're deliberately priced a bit higher (relative to the AirPods Pro and AirPods) because they know sale volumes will be relatively low; headphones can serve up sound in ways that in-ears or buds never can as far as soundstage, physicality etc, but you see infinitely more people with AirPods or cheap bluetooth in-ears these days than you do Beats Studios or headphones in general, because they're more portable/discreet and people don't care about fidelity that much in my experience as long as there's dat bass.

They're not going to be gym or running-friendly either which limits the market further... these seem almost niche in a way. I guess like the SS Apple Watch it's going to be a case of whether these can draw in the sort of people that were paying similar of significantly more for the fancier wired headphones of the world.

The price doesn't put me off that much tbh, I currently use custom IEMs that were more than these things are when purchased them about 4-5 years ago and have a pair of Event Opals at home for music from my Mac, not unlike how some people pay a lot for luxury cars and some people just want a car to get from A to B. The questions for me will be...

1) do they sound better than all the other wireless headphones out there due to some of the tech like the spatial audio/adaptive EQ?
2) do they sound as good as some of the serious but not silly-priced wired headphones?
3) when I want to sell them on or kill the battery, will replacing it be easy/achievable?

I await the tear-downs and reviews.

Wise words, agree entirely.

As an owner of high-end Bowers & Wilkins Hi-FI equipment, I have a pair of Powerbeats Pros (or whatever they're called) and they are great for running/gym.

Back
Top Bottom