AKG K701/2, K712 and Beyerdynamic DT990 gaming comparison.

Associate
So I got me a pair of K702's and been loving them. I did think the bass was lacking tho, so I decided to buy the K712 aswell to compare. In 3 days I will have both and decide which one I like most and return the other one.
I hope I dont find the positional awareness of the K712 lacking because of the extra bass.

UPDATE:
I received my K712 and now have both the K702 and the K712. The very first impression I had upon hearing the K712 was that I was hearing the K702. I'm no audiophile, this is my first "audiophile headphone" and they sound exactly the same to my ears.
Upon hearing the same song over and over switching them, I think the K712 is a bit louder and a bit more bassy. When I say a bit I really mean a bit. It's barely noticiable.
Both headphones lack the bass punch. It's not like the music sounds bad but if you are into bass these are not the headphones to go for, but I guess anyone buying these already knew that.

Comfort is about the same, with the K702 taking a small lead imo. The earpads are a bit bigger and softer, but its also barely noticiable. I havent worn either long enough to say one is better. Both seem very comfortable but it's not like I forget I'm wearing a headphone.

For playing PUBG I didnt notice any difference at all! Maybe the explosions sound a bit difference but I can't say one is better at locating or hearing enemy footsteps/shots, they sound the same!
I recorded one of my games and kept replaying it to try to tell any difference, I honestly couldn't!

I'm connecting them to my Asus Xonar DX, they both sound loud enough without any Amping. I don't know if having an external dac/amp or another soundcard with amping would make them sound any better or just louder. To my ears right now this seems good enough but maybe someone with better understanding can help me on this.

For now I'll keep testing them both and then decide which one to keep, but honestly I think it's hard to justify the extra 85 euros for the K712.

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
Resurrection.. .

Looking to give my 712's / mm5 another go before deciding whether to keep or move on.

Would x-fi surround 5.1 usb pro with a magni be alright for testing? (with cmss-3d headphone)

Be putting them up against gsp600/gsx1000 & mobius.

Soldato
@EsaT Just reading this thread for the first time, very informative and a great read even if you aren't interested in any of the headphones listed in the Title.

Soldato
Resurrection.. .

Looking to give my 712's / mm5 another go before deciding whether to keep or move on.

Would x-fi surround 5.1 usb pro with a magni be alright for testing? (with cmss-3d headphone)

Be putting them up against gsp600/gsx1000 & mobius.

I will be looking forward to reading your comparisons. It's an interesting mix.

Soldato
OP
Despite of that "X-Fi" sticking in there X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro comes with SBX Pro Studio software.

Old genuine X-Fi/EMU20K chip based card would be likely only way to get CMSS-3D algorithm.
(or Audigy Rx)

Associate
Henker what was your final conclusion for best imaging (positional awareness) in FPS games? K702 or k712?

And i might have missed it but what does the author of the thread think about AD900x vs K702 in terms of pinpointing sounds in fps gaming?

Last edited:
Caporegime
My Q701's have a knitted cover on the headband and after long sessions i still get bumps on my head and some discomfort.

I'll need to add some foam in between the bumps or something.

Back
Top Bottom