AKG Q701 - Roughly £100 before duty

Soldato
So got my headphones today, ordered 2 pairs of Q701s in green and black.

I recieved 1 Q701 in green and 1 K702 in black.

I've emailed them and there reply is -

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that! Unfortunately, there may have been an inventory mix up. The Q701 has been discontinued and we do not have it in stock to ship out to you. At this point, you are free to keep the K702 that you received which is a more expensive product than the Q701. Alternatively if you did not want the K702, we can have you ship back the unit for a refund for half of your order. Let me know how you would prefer to proceed. Sorry again for this inconvenience!

Best regards,
Henry

Is that correct? Is the K702 a better headphone and more expensive. I've checked online and it seems the Q701 is more expensive. Plus I got hit by customs so sending back isn't looking good.

How should I proceed or should I just forget about it, if so which one should I keep? (Only need one was going to decide on colour and sell the other to forum members)

Associate
So got my headphones today, ordered 2 pairs of Q701s in green and black.

I recieved 1 Q701 in green and 1 K702 in black.

I've emailed them and there reply is -

Is that correct? Is the K702 a better headphone and more expensive. I've checked online and it seems the Q701 is more expensive. Plus I got hit by customs so sending back isn't looking good.

How should I proceed or should I just forget about it, if so which one should I keep? (Only need one was going to decide on colour and sell the other to forum members)

The K702 is very dry and sharp sounding. It's like sandpaper. I cannot recommend then unless you are a gamer or strictly classical or a sound whore.

The Q is smoother, while slightly cold still,l is more enjoyable. It has more forward mids and added bass making them more versatile. I've heard some people say they sound the same but the difference is clear to my ears.

The Q is the base of the 65th Annies which is the best headphone in it's class IMO.

Soldato
Where do you get that from?

I would have thought the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition was based on the more recent K702 that doesn't have the torture bumps.

+1

But after all, they all sound very similar unless you are a very experienced audiophile. They all used the same driver - at least the K702 and Annie are using the same.

Soldato
A lot of people can't hear any difference between the Q701 and the K702, so there is certainly not a great deal of difference between them.

I think the Q701 was a celebrity makeover version of the K701 and when Tyl at Innerfidelity tested them he said . . . .

I've seen some questions and comments about the Q701 being voiced differently than the K 701, I've done some comparison measurements here and they look virtually identical to me.

and ....

After seeing the measurement data I would say that other than the cosmetic differences, both headphones are identical. The slight differences observed could possibly be accounted for by the added "Q" badge on the outside of the earcup behind the driver, and improved manufacturing processes over time.

Associate
Where do you get that from?

I would have thought the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition was based on the more recent K702 that doesn't have the torture bumps.

From owing both and simply experimenting. The Q701 suffers in a minor way from the peaky upper midrange the 702 doesn't. The 702 is a dryer headphone that has viscous peaks. The same peaks found in the K712. The K702 with K712 pads and foam sounds very similar to the K712.

Annies with Q701 pads and foam sound like the Qs and I mean spot on. Qs with Annie pads and foam sound like..Annies! No viscous peaks or at least no dramatic ones. K702 with Annie pads sounds like a intimate K712 with a weird sense of energy up top.

K702 65th Annies are named after the K702 because it wouldn't make sense. Q701 annies? Come on son ;)

Now I challenge anyone to do the testing I have and tell me I'm wrong :)

I've read more peoples comments stating they can hear the difference as opposed to not hearing between the Q and K. I believe if anyone can't tell the difference then they either have problems with picking out different tones or simply don't have trained ears yet! Yes the differences are that clear. Are they big differences? Ofc not it only takes tweaks here and there to change a headphones signature a bit to the point they become a better improved headphone.

Ridz I seriously doubt with the same testing I've done that you wouldn't hear the differences. You've got experienced ears, you will hear them.

A trained ear will hear them. A newb will if it's pointed out.

One thing I'm yet to do is change the foams between the 702 and Q.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm thinking that the foam is probably the difference then and I do remember reading about someone experimenting with different materials to tweak the sound.

AKG must have made a mint from making small tweaks and changes to the K701 and calling it a new headphone - thets face it, all they have changed (sonically) from the K701 - Q701 - K702 - K702 Annie and K7XX (K712 is questionable) is the pads and a couple of small pieces of foam. Hats off to them, that's good business, even Sennheiser changed the drivers on the HD600 & HD650 over the years.

Have you listened to Q701 & K702 from around the same vintage? I remember MadLustEnvy saying they sounded identical and then he listened to another pair and they sounded different.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm thinking that the foam is probably the difference then and I do remember reading about someone experimenting with different materials to tweak the sound.

AKG must have made a mint from making small tweaks and changes to the K701 and calling it a new headphone - thets face it, all they have changed (sonically) from the K701 - Q701 - K702 - K702 Annie and K7XX (K712 is questionable) is the pads and a couple of small pieces of foam. Hats off to them, that's good business, even Sennheiser changed the drivers on the HD600 & HD650 over the years.

Have you listened to Q701 & K702 from around the same vintage? I remember MadLustEnvy saying they sounded identical and then he listened to another pair and they sounded different.

Yeah it's surprising how much the foam made the K712 what it is. It's even grainier without it. Yeah tried a lot of them. They have always sounded the same to me. AKG are so frustrating the K701 driver is the most used driver ever! Think how many more revisions ut will go through. The Annie got complaints about the smaller soundstage and less air then they made the 712. The 712 is too peaky so now expect another one Haha :)

Soldato
I would probably have gone for one of the K7XX until AKG pulled them from sale outside of the US - they have to keep their prices as high as possible after all.

Soldato
Result, they are refunding me half my order and I don't have to send back the K702.

Basically getting the K702s for free. Not that I pushed for it but I pointed out ive paid customs and to ship back to the US would cost a fair wack (which they should cover both since it was their mistake)

Great CS

Back
Top Bottom