AKG Q701 - Roughly £100 before duty

Associate
Nothing which is as good that is also portable.

The Q701 doesn't really work well with poor sources, a portable amp works best with a line out signal (not a headphone out signal).

For your PC and phone ideally you want a DAC/AMP like the Fiio E17.

Personally I would not use Q701's with my phone, If I want to listen to music I use my PC. The Q701 isn't a portable set of headphones.

e.g. I have HD25-1 II and Momentums which are my portables. I plug them into a topping NX-1 which is fed by a Fiio LOD which is plugged into an old ipod touch.

HD558, Q701, HD600 and HE400 are strictly for home use only with either my xonar DG, mixamp, Aune T1 or Vali or a combo of those.

In your position I would simply forget plugging them into a phone and buy a decent DAC/AMP or sound card for your PC.

How do you find the Q701 compared to the hd25's?
I have the same setup as you (ipod, lod, topping, hd25) but am looking for something with a wider soundstage.

Caporegime
OP
How do you find the Q701 compared to the hd25's?
I have the same setup as you (ipod, lod, topping, hd25) but am looking for something with a wider soundstage.

Completely different.

I mainly use momentums now when I'm out but I will be modding my HD25-1 II's at some point using the mass loading kit custom cans sell.

You won't find anything as good as the Q701's which is portable, the best you could get away with is possibly DT770's or something like that.

There is no such thing as a open portable can.

Caporegime
I walked through town and sat on the train with my Q701's on the other week. I must have looked like a right idiot, but when you pause the music, you can hear everything around you. :p

Associate
Thanks for your thoughts - I assume you prefer the Q701's to the hd25's whenever noise pollution & portability are not a concern?

Completely different.

I mainly use momentums now when I'm out but I will be modding my HD25-1 II's at some point using the mass loading kit custom cans sell.

I became instantly skeptical of that modification after reading their sales pitch:

This kit makes an ideal paring with our audiophile cables

Associate
So if I skip the portable and keep these in my room and still to my sound magic buds for my phone.

So would a Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2 Award Winning Portable Headphone Amplifier be a good shout?

Caporegime
OP
I walked through town and sat on the train with my Q701's on the other week. I must have looked like a right idiot, but when you pause the music, you can hear everything around you. :p

it's no different to someone being on public transport blasting music out their phones loudspeaker instead of wearing IEM's like every normal person

Thanks for your thoughts - I assume you prefer the Q701's to the hd25's whenever noise pollution & portability are not a concern?

I became instantly skeptical of that modification after reading their sales pitch:

I use different headphones for different things.

I prefer my HD600's for vocals and music, Q701 for gaming, HE400's for movies and bassy music.

So if I skip the portable and keep these in my room and still to my sound magic buds for my phone.

So would a Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2 Award Winning Portable Headphone Amplifier be a good shout?

You need a DAC too if your buying an amp.

If you will be gaming then buy a decent sound card, just for music then buy a DAC/AMP.

Associate
Caporegime
OP
forget all the above then.

if you want to use them with a PS4 then you need a mixamp they are made by Astro and retail brand new for around £130. you could then use that for PC as well then and they require a clip on mic as well as a Turtle Beach chat cable or a Astro USB chat cable

Back
Top Bottom