• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
Raptor lake will be a drop in upgrade that will probably launch before or at a similar time to the Zen 3 refresh. Though Zen3 still stuck on DDR4 and PCI-Ev4....
The Zen 3 refresh is expected in Q1 2022. If you think Raptor Lake is coming that quickly, I'd like some of the amazing drugs you're on. Raptor Lake and Zen 4 will release towards the end of 2022.

Man of Honour
For something that has efficiency cores, how is this so power hungry?

It's worth understanding what this new architecture is. The high power usage is in specific tasks like rendering which is done on the Performance cores at full pelt. The efficiency cores are very powerful still but are much more efficient and used for everything else. The P cores in gaming do not consume any more power than anything from AMD.

Check out all the reviews now and you'll see this pattern.

I think a lot of people online are going to be blind sided by the power/heat headlines of these early reviews, some of which have been done on coolers that aren't fully supported, whilst others don't clearly define where the power usage applies between workloads and gaming where power usage is a non issue to the competition.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

It's worth understanding what this new architecture is. The high power usage is in specific tasks like rendering which is done on the Performance cores at full pelt. The efficiency cores are very powerful still but are much more efficient and used for everything else. The P cores in gaming do not consume any more power than anything from AMD.

Check out all the reviews now and you'll see this pattern.

Thanks!

I do find it very weird that they even bothered with efficiency cores in a desktop though. Id understand in a laptop, but in a desktop for personal use makes very little sense

Man of Honour
Thanks!

I do find it very weird that they even bothered with efficiency cores in a desktop though. Id understand in a laptop, but in a desktop for personal use makes very little sense

It makes sense to have the e-cores really. The Thread Director built into the platform allows you to game on P cores and have background apps running whilst gaming like streaming/recording apps or whatever other combo of apps people use without sacrificing gaming performance on the P cores. There will no doubt be other scenarios too but it's a different way of scheduling CPU tasks and clearly works well for these chips as the reviews are showing given they have fewer threads than AMD's competing models but still match or pull ahead in all but a few specific cases like decompressing in 7-Zip etc.

Sadly not upgrading any time soon but from my 6700k that 12700kf would look very tempting.
Be that or watch out for 5800x deals - they often hit £340 even before these came out.
But new tech!!! lol

I have gone from 6700K to 12700KF so the very same boat!

I'm really pleased with this choice though with what I've watched and read so far. It can also only get better as BIOS updates come about, RAM gets updated to faster and tighter timings etc. I will stay DDR4 for a long while I think as can't see any point in any more extra cost to go DDR5 when the performance appears to be this good anyway.

Back
Top Bottom