• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
I hinted at this days ago didn't I! There's a reason why they only sent 12600 and 12900 kits to reviewers, and now we know why :p
It's looking good for folks like us that use Photoshop etc. Your 12700KF should see more than double the performance improvement comparing the 639points your 6700K scored in Puget's benchmark (for your reference my 9700k scores 1151 just behind the 5950x at ~1200)

Soldato
I don't think the 12600k performs good enough for me to take it over the 5800x and top end b550 board

Also find it very strange that I can't find 12600k ddr4 Vs 5800x..

Soldato
but the last part of your post is unnecessary and probably false.
Nope, he has a track record of spamming pro Intel rhetoric to the point of nonsense, making baseless claims about AMD's competence and then vanishing when challenged. This is behaviour very much in keeping of an internet troll, at best, or a paid operative.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's looking good for folks like us that use Photoshop etc. Your 12700KF should see more than double the performance improvement comparing the 639points your 6700K scored in Puget's benchmark (for your reference my 9700k scores 1151 just behind the 5950x at ~1200)

Definitely, my main use is Lightroom though so will be hugely eager to batch export those photos again and see how much export time is shaved off. If I can halve the total time per batch then that's a monumental gain really. Time is money for us!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have gone from 6700K to 12700KF so the very same boat!

I'm really pleased with this choice though with what I've watched and read so far. It can also only get better as BIOS updates come about, RAM gets updated to faster and tighter timings etc. I will stay DDR4 for a long while I think as can't see any point in any more extra cost to go DDR5 when the performance appears to be this good anyway.
Nice upgrade that.

I went from a 4770K to a R5 3600 and then dropped in a 5900X once I saw it for a little over £400 quite a few months ago.

Was there any reason you never went the AMD route? :)

Associate
Quite interested to see its performance with some proper DDR4 as Intel have traditionally been able to run DDR4 at silly speeds, if that comes across this chip could be a proper beast.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Nice upgrade that.

I went from a 4770K to a R5 3600 and then dropped in a 5900X once I saw it for a little over £400 quite a few months ago.

Was there any reason you never went the AMD route? :)

Had AMD builds in the basket multiple times and then chickened out :p

No specific reason really, had AMD in the past, although long before Zen 3, but always preferred the simplicity of Intel platform and setting it all up etc. Early driver issues and compatibility with stuff which crops up here and there could be considered a turn-off though even though they get fixed a while later.

Soldato
Definitely, my main use is Lightroom though so will be hugely eager to batch export those photos again and see how much export time is shaved off. If I can halve the total time per batch then that's a monumental gain really. Time is money for us!

Have you read the Puget 12700k review?

Associate
Curious how every review went out of spec on DDR5 speed, which should be DDR5-4400. Are these reviews trying to sell us new hardware or something?
(most Zen 3 and Socket 1200 test systems are using the officially supported DDR4-3200, some go 3600).

But to me it looks like the best pairing for ADL is a low latency DDR4 like 3800CL14 dual rank to be run in Gear1.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Have you read the Puget 12700k review?

Didn't realise they published them yet! Checking their articles I see they have been busy so am reading now!

Curious how every review went out of spec on DDR5 speed, which should be DDR5-4400. Are these reviews trying to sell us new hardware or something?
(most Zen 3 and Socket 1200 test systems are using the officially supported DDR4-3200, some go 3600).

But to me it looks like the best pairing for ADL is a low latency DDR4 like 3800CL14 dual rank to be run in Gear1.

This is one area I will seriously be looking at over the next couple of months. I will upgrade to 64GB but need to know what speed and CL to go for in order to get the most out of this new build in gear 1. So it appears 3800MHz CL14 is the way to go? Of course availability of modules in the size I need is another matter. I'd even settle for 32GB if the benefits are obvious over my current 32GB 3600MHz C18

Soldato

No specific reason really, had AMD in the past, although long before Zen 3, but always preferred the simplicity of Intel platform and setting it all up etc. Early driver issues and compatibility with stuff which crops up here and there could be considered a turn-off though even though they get fixed a while later.

But you buy Rev 1 Alder lake. Issues ahoy

Soldato
Didn't realise they published them yet! Checking their articles I see they have been busy so am reading now!

Yeah I knew they were right up your street, which is why I mentioned them last week, when you needed a base line for your 6700k.

12700k certainly seems the sensible option if you can't/won't wait for the AMD Vcache parts.

Caporegime
Nope, he has a track record of spamming pro Intel rhetoric to the point of nonsense, making baseless claims about AMD's competence and then vanishing when challenged. This is behaviour very much in keeping of an internet troll, at best, or a paid operative.
Maybe he just likes/prefers Intel more and does not try and hide it. That's the impression I get.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I had a few when I got my 3600 which as you say were fixed, but not had a single issue with the 5900X. Basically I think it has taken AMD a few years to catch up and get everything sorted with regards to drivers and compatibility. I mean they were well behind before Zen and it was all about Intel due to market share, but with Zen 3 all that has changed now from what I can see, at least for the most part anyway.

That said, AL seems to finally bring something worth upgrading to with Intel and I am sure you will have a blast building it and tweaking it. Enjoy :D

Associate

Yeah, I don't get this either. No one has this memory. Either use fast DDR4 or 4800 DDR5.

Soldato
I don't think the 12600k performs good enough for me to take it over the 5800x and top end b550 board

Also find it very strange that I can't find 12600k ddr4 Vs 5800x..

Because intel told them not to compare the 5800x next to a 12600k..

Mate get the 5800x setup, forget the ADL setup. With your budget that's what I would be doing.

5800x is basically the same for gaming as a 5900x, so look at the reviews with the 5900x and that's basically what a 5800x gives in games. If you shop around you may even find a 5900x with your budget used of course.

Maybe worth asking on the MM wanted for a 5900x bundle or 5800x bundle without ram, see if anyone is selling up and going for ADL.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-12600k-alder-lake-12th-gen/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom