• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
Borderline
Go and read the reviews, you're very wrong. Gaming power consumption is very, very good on these chips.

Look, igor even says so here (via Google translate)

all of the Alder Lake S CPUs are downright model boys in comparison, with very mannerly drinking habits

MODEL BOYS you hear!

05-720-Efficiency-1.png

Last edited:
Associate
You're agreeing with me? The motherboard sets the power limit.

Yeah I guess I am. Will just downclock when it hits thermal limits so will boost and give you the performance your cooling can deliver.

They are however potentially very power hungry when at 100% utilization. Intel can call their 14nm/10nm Intel 10 and Intel 7 but imo the TSMC 7nm is a far superior process and allows for better efficiency. All the cpus and gpus from the TSMC 7nm have excellent performance/watt and performance/watt still belongs to Ryzen.

Associate
Holy smeg!
Managed to find a ASUS PRIME Z690M PLUS D4 for delivery tomorrow. I know, not the best but it's good enough for my 12600K that is also coming tomorrow from OcUK.

Soldato
Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Do you need something new now? Could you wait for Zen 3D and then see where prices are and decide then?
I could, but means I miss the return window for my current 10400f and b560, only couple weeks old from the rainforest, so ideally if I'm going to do it, now would be the cheapest for me as the initial outlay would me much lower

Also got until the 20th to return, so could watch closely and see what happens with updates etc

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's worth understanding what this new architecture is. The high power usage is in specific tasks like rendering which is done on the Performance cores at full pelt. The efficiency cores are very powerful still but are much more efficient and used for everything else. The P cores in gaming do not consume any more power than anything from AMD.

Check out all the reviews now and you'll see this pattern.

I think a lot of people online are going to be blind sided by the power/heat headlines of these early reviews, some of which have been done on coolers that aren't fully supported, whilst others don't clearly define where the power usage applies between workloads and gaming where power usage is a non issue to the competition.

We are looking at it from a broader sense than that, not everyone plays games only, all you need for that is a 12600K or a 5600X.

You would buy the 12900K or 5950X for its MT prowess, high load workloads, the 12900K is using over 130 Watts more power than the 5950X, twice the power consumption and the performance is no better.

Add to that AMD's CPU's are getting on for 2 years old, they are on a 4 years old 2 generations surpassed process node.

Its not good, but AMD do see it as threat and that is also not good because they have so much left in the tank and they may just push the "go nuclear" button for 5nm and if they do that... double the core count, IPC up by 30 to 40% and still on much less power than ADL Intel would be pretty much toast by this time next year.

Caporegime
everyone was mocking intel but looking at these new chips they are really great. amd loyalists arent going to be happy on here.

As you know I’ll buy INTEL or AMD…..have had loads of different rigs over the years….

The 12900k doesn’t seem to offer much over my 5950X so I don’t really understand your post.

What the 12900k does offer over 5950x is more heat and considerably more power consumption.

Soldato
Soldato
Owww I'm really scratching my head with this one.
It seemed the 12600k was faster than the AMD chips.
Ok so worked how much it will cost me after returning my current stuff.
12600kf + z690 gaming x ddr4 £140
5800x + b550 strix F £130
Not sure if either will be better then streaming and recording also
Is the ADL motherboard in stock?

There is hardly anything in it, as long as you have a cooler for ADL too and AM4 if you decide on 5800x.

Associate
everyone was mocking intel but looking at these new chips they are really great. amd loyalists arent going to be happy on here.
Not a loyalist
Still mocking power use.

IPC wise seem to be just a hair ahead of Zen3. Some 10% overall performance core for core, thanks to higher clocks, at cost of higher power use.
Plus expensive new motherboards with useless Pcie5. Plus even more expensive new memory.
Are they really THAT great?

12600K is the best in price/performance in the new lineup, and it is basically equal to 5800X in most benchmarks. (Once AMD responds by dropping prices as they usually do, will be equal in price)

Soldato
Last edited by a moderator:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hope you haven't stripped down the 6700K yet! When's your 12700KF and Mobo due, today? What's your score with this...

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/PugetBench-for-Lightroom-Classic-1571/

Jeez do they have a plugin bench suite for everything? :D

6700K system still up and running as I have active weddings I'm editing through still. Gonna run that now and report back!

Edit*
No idea on mobo, it's still on awaiting stock at OcUK. Cannot find it anywhere else sadly.

Edit2*
The LR Benchmark wants me to change various HDR/Panorama settings to its own selections which I don't want to do as it changes my preferred values and don't want to faff about with that again sadly. I will just compare the export time between this system and the 12700KF upgrade as I have already timed that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not a loyalist
Still mocking power use.

IPC wise seem to be just a hair ahead of Zen3. Some 10% overall performance core for core, thanks to higher clocks, at cost of higher power use.
Plus expensive new motherboards with useless Pcie5. Plus even more expensive new memory.
Are they really THAT great?

12600K is the best in price/performance in the new lineup, and it is basically equal to 5800X in most benchmarks. (Once AMD responds by dropping prices as they usually do, will be equal in price)

I agree with you, the question is with everything in mind would you buy the 12600K?

Associate
Hmm so it seems there was more to the 8Ghz claim than meets the eye , looks like Gigabyte/Hicookie are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes ... bad show from them and good on Derbauer for calling them out , no one likes a cheater:rolleyes:

The new processors do look good though but not enough to sway me away from my 10900K for now considering the 0.1% uplift at 4k which is the resolution i game at :)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-12th-gen/18.html

Soldato
Is the ADL motherboard in stock?

There is hardly anything in it, as long as you have a cooler for ADL too and AM4 if you decide on 5800x.
It says due for delivery on Tuesday the 9th.
Cooler wise, just waiting for EK to release a upgrade kit for my 280 AIO.

Would ADL offer me anything else over the AM4 setup ignoring DDR5?

Back
Top Bottom