• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
I'd say Intel just feels more like "home" for me at the end of it all. Some people prefer Merc to BMW, others vice versa, like that :D

I don't associate a feeling to silicon inside a machine that performs a task, complete different to a car, but then again I work in the computing/hardware industry and as such don't get these weird consumer love/hate issues you see from a great deal of people here. :)

Associate
As you know I’ll buy INTEL or AMD…..have had loads of different rigs over the years….

The 12900k doesn’t seem to offer much over my 5950X so I don’t really understand your post.

What the 12900k does offer over 5950x is more heat and considerably more power consumption.

If you see the gaming results, although the average FPS is just a hair ahead there are some nice 10-15% gains in the 1% lows which can make the game feel much smoother on ADL vs. Zen 3. But I agree it does consume a lot more power to do that

Man of Honour
If you see the gaming results, although the average FPS is just a hair ahead there are some nice 10-15% gains in the 1% lows which can make the game feel much smoother on ADL vs. Zen 3. But I agree it does consume a lot more power to do that

Under gaming there isn't much power increase at all though that's what these benchmarks and reviews are showing. The power increase is largely down to specific workload tasks like rendering. For gaming, power use is neck and neck.

Associate
After watching the GN review not to sure a 12900 is worth it. Running Windows 10 improvements seem to be single digit and one game would not even load using ADL and W10. I use Handbrake a lot and in Jayz video only the E cores would activate for handbrake use and obviously gave a much lower score. As someone who use productivity suites daily as well as gaming the power consumption puts me off completely, think Zen 3D would probably beat ADL in all aspects once released in a couple months.

I think for gaming the 12600 would be a great but if moving up from an older platform. All in all despite the problems i am glad to see some competition hopefully it will encourage more innovation and keep prices in check

Associate
After watching the GN review not to sure a 12900 is worth it. Running Windows 10 improvements seem to be single digit and one game would not even load using ADL and W10. I use Handbrake a lot and in Jayz video only the E cores would activate for handbrake use and obviously gave a much lower score. As someone who use productivity suites daily as well as gaming the power consumption puts me off completely, think Zen 3D would probably beat ADL in all aspects once released in a couple months.

I think for gaming the 12600 would be a great but if moving up from an older platform. All in all despite the problems i am glad to see some competition hopefully it will encourage more innovation and keep prices in check
Honestly the 12700k is the real dark horse but no one is talking about it. Its the "RTX 3080" of the ADL lineup while the 12900k is the RTX 3090.

Associate
Well, I just Cancelled my 12900K and Maximus Hero !! LOL

The Z690 Motherboard debacle was fortuitous as it gave me time to read and watch reviews before my order shipped.

Original plan was to buy a 12600K/Z690 for a build for my brother, but the Alderlake Hype got to me and instead I ordered a 12900K/Maximus Hero/2x 16GB Dom Plat RGB 5200C36. He was going to get the parts from my still un-built 5900x/X570 system.

Now the new plan is that my brother still gets my 5900x but not my Strix X570-F. Instead I get him a (much cheaper than a Z690 Hero or Strix X570-F) Mini ITX or Micro ATX B550 motherboard that better suits his use-cases and the form-factor of his case. I'll order myself a V-Cache 5900x when they launch in the next few months to go into my as yet un-built (and I can wait another couple of months) Strix X570-F based system.

Associate
4K minimums with a 3090 tell another story, there'll be quite a difference.

currently have no issues with 1% lows on my 3090 , plays very smooth and doubt i would notice the switch outside of benchmarks ...

Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Screenshot-2021-08-10-13-21-40-97.png

Associate
From what I see in the reviews it's no wonder Intel went 8P + 8E. Could you imagine the power draw with 16P cores. 400w+. And this on Intels '7' node.

Honestly, if you look between the lines and the reviews, AMD have this covered on AM4 let alone AM5.

Caporegime
Well, I just Cancelled my 12900K and Maximus Hero !! LOL

The Z690 Motherboard debacle was fortuitous as it gave me time to read and watch reviews before my order shipped.

Original plan was to buy a 12600K/Z690 for a build for my brother, but the Alderlake Hype got to me and instead I ordered a 12900K/Maximus Hero/2x 16GB Dom Plat RGB 5200C36. He was going to get the parts from my still un-built 5900x/X570 system.

Now the new plan is that my brother still gets my 5900x but not my Strix X570-F. Instead I get him a (much cheaper than a Z690 Hero or Strix X570-F) Mini ITX or Micro ATX B550 motherboard that better suits his use-cases and the form-factor of his case. I'll order myself a V-Cache 5900x when they launch in the next few months to go into my as yet un-built (and I can wait another couple of months) Strix X570-F based system.
hb7tKmY.gif

Welcome back. :p

Back
Top Bottom