• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

No, clearly those slides show very fast DDR5 makes a huge difference so that's what it would need but another thing those slides show is Zen 3D DDR4 will beat ADL DDR4 and close the gap to ADL DDR5 significantly.

It's possible ADL will be old news by the time AMD manage to refresh Zen3. We may have Raptor Lake at that point.

Alderlake is a significant jump as a platform. I needed something now and I've waited enough. There is always something incrementally better around the corner. This is best for now.

So we have improved cpu but no fast DDR5 memory available at the moment. And Windows 10 does not seem optimized enough for big little cores. Seems like Raptor Lake will be the real deal and current generation is just a bridge to the future.

So we have improved cpu but no fast DDR5 memory available at the moment. And Windows 10 does not seem optimized enough for big little cores. Seems like Raptor Lake will be the real deal and current generation is just a bridge to the future.
Every generation is a bridge to the future.

No, clearly those slides show very fast DDR5 makes a huge difference so that's what it would need but another thing those slides show is Zen 3D DDR4 will beat ADL DDR4 and close the gap to ADL DDR5 significantly.
That review seems very amateurish or unscientific anyhow.
8ooGfEd.png
What's the point of including those 3070Ti results in only some of the tests?

All their charts are like that; the Nvidia scores are meaningless as there is nothing to compare to.

Besides, once we take out the noise the actual DDR4 to DDR5 results aren't that impressive:
z86iEeI.png

So assuming nobody buys a £600 CPU and a £170+ motherboard (Z690 DDR4 boards) to run DDR4-3200, then correct comparison is vs DDR4-4000. In which case, well about 5% in min frame. So measurable, but a quick google shows no DDR5 of any type in stock anywhere (in the UK and even in comparison sites which look Europe-wide), never mind DDR5-6200.

So, as I keep saying about DDR5: let the big spending early adopters pay through the nose for it now. VFM isn't in their vocabulary anyhow and those willing to overpay now might eventually make it easier for more cautious buyers. Well as long as the likes of Samsung/Hynix/Micron don't get used to crazy margins on DDR5!

I've had nothing but problems all night my motherboard doesn't like all my ssds and hard drives going at once. Random lockups funny thing is this seems to be overclocked cos the core ru at 5 1 and I can't oveclock for a start.it seems stable with one nvme and 1 hard drive at once. Can't understand why this is happing I t was assembled right and temps are really good .

No idea, what strikes me as odd is how they are all using the 5900X instead of the 5950X in these reviews, did they all have the same idea? Is it that much of a coincidence? Or has someone realised the 5950X is the best of them all for gaming performance and power efficiency, there is not a big difference but it still seems quite contrived to me and that seeds doubt in my mind about all the slides they put out.

Having said that i have no other reason to think they are not right so i'll take them as such.

The Ancient @720P seems to be Intel's best result.

12900K DDR4 3200: 131 (+21%)
5900X DDR4 3200: 108

12900K DDR4 4000: 160 (+48%) Strange but this is the best result, better than the DDR5 results. for 25% higher RAM speed its gained 23% more performance, make of that what you will....

Rainbow 6 is the token game where AMD wins outright.

No idea, what strikes me as odd is how they are all using the 5900X instead of the 5950X in these reviews, did they all have the same idea? Is it that much of a coincidence? Or has someone realised the 5950X is the best of them all for gaming performance and power efficiency, there is not a big difference but it still seems quite contrived to me and that seeds doubt in my mind about all the slides they put out.
In that case CB are off Intel's Xmas list:
bUqQvS5.png
https://www.computerbase.de/2021-11/intel-core-i9-12900k-i7-12700k-i5-12600k-gaming-benchmark-test

Actually since CB don't appear to have had any DDR5 which could run anywhere near to 6200 they pretty much dismissed DDR5.

At least for gaming.

in their application benchmarks they did have DDR5-6000 and 7-Zip loved it:

0eUw1Jb.png
https://www.computerbase.de/2021-11/intel-core-i9-12900k-i7-12700k-i5-12600k-test

No 5950X results in there though, and else where at default settings the 5950X was about +21% of the 12900K, so much of a wash except at full apps load (as opposed to gaming loads) the i9-12700K is very power hungry.

Todays 720p Is tommorows 1440p

these 720p results only serve to show how much performance is in the tank, should you need it when you upgrade your gpu

I think you'll find it's more like next decades, not tomorrows. Look back when 720p was mid-to-high as a resolution and you are back before 2010, so 1440p will become similar by 2028, maybe later.

I think the argument for low-res CPU benches is slightly different:
The performance a few years ago at e.g. the 1080P performance in a game still benched will now be the performance you can expect in 1440P or even 4K:
ECBIUmX.png
1080P from the GTX 1080 review (https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080/22.html)
Versus 4K performance now:
jsoIQp5.png
(from the 3080 TI review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition/25.html)

Unsure what has all changed in W!zzard's setup, but if a CPU back in the 1080 review maxed out at 50 FPS then 4K gamers might have said "that's fine" whereas now they'd be very CPU limited.

Back
Top Bottom