• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
12900k is expected to be 24 threads so prepare for the price tag.
Will be interesting to see how intel's big core little core system works and how efficient its going to be. Will dictate whether people will fork out more for this cpu, hopefully not just based on hype.

Soldato
For me in 2022:

ddr5 ram (32gb or 64gb)
Gen 5 ssd
New mobo (probably an asus z690 maximus)
New cpu (probably the i9 12900k)
Rtx4080/4090
Same, more likely 32gb and sticking with a 3090 as i got a feeling 4000 series will be unicorns till late 2023 in which case you might as well wait for 5000 series when more fabs are open to manufacture.

Associate
Will be interesting to see how intel's big core little core system works and how efficient its going to be. Will dictate whether people will fork out more for this cpu, hopefully not just based on hype.
I will guess that it will need an OS that can handle different cores for a start.

Soldato
You can just see it now intel are in the Graphic card business help give the intel setups a FPS boost.

Buy our graphics cards and 12th gen CPU’s and receive the equivalent 10th and 11th gen CPU for free!
Intel used to make their own motherboards, dunno why they stopped - and they were cheaper than AIB boards

Yeah and some very nice ones too. The DX5400S springs to mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
If Intel add a little secret sauce when using an Intel CPU with a Intel graphics card they could be onto a small but ripe market for easy profits.
What, like AMD's Smart Access Memory between RDNA 2 and Zen 3? Granted I know it's just a marketing name for PCIe Resizeable BAR, but did AMD expect Nvidia to jump on their own implementation so quickly?
Anti - monopoly regulator may sanction them if they do that.
Why? Nobody jumped on Nvidia for GSync modules. And I don't see anybody shouting anti-competition so far about Intel's XeSS and XMX.

Associate
What, like AMD's Smart Access Memory between RDNA 2 and Zen 3? Granted I know it's just a marketing name for PCIe Resizeable BAR, but did AMD expect Nvidia to jump on their own implementation so quickly?

Why? Nobody jumped on Nvidia for GSync modules. And I don't see anybody shouting anti-competition so far about Intel's XeSS and XMX.
If I remember correctly Gsync is not related to processor but ties the card to only allow it on monitor that supports it. Probably can pass for a feature?

Last edited:
Soldato
If I remember correctly Gsync is not related to processor but ties the card to only allow it on monitor that supports it.

The GSync module was the processor. AMD built that processor into its cards. Nvidia offloaded that work to the monitor (seems a common theme with Nvidia to offload GPU work to another processor) That is why GSync died as a technology.

Associate
The GSync module was the processor. AMD built that processor into its cards. Nvidia offloaded that work to the monitor (seems a common theme with Nvidia to offload GPU work to another processor) That is why GSync died as a technology.

So maybe AMD gained points for opening the technology for the public instead of limiting it.

Soldato
If I remember correctly Gsync is not related to processor but ties the card to only allow it on monitor that supports it. Probably can pass for a feature?
It's still "special sauce" as jigger puts it. Your gaming rig is perfectly usable without GSync, but Nvidia offer proprietary features that enhance your experience if you buy into Nvidia technology. AMD's Smart Access Memory between RDNA 2 and Zen 3 would have been the same if Nvidia didn't implement their own Resizable BAR so quickly. Intel's XeSS is the same in that it's usable by anybody, but only by using Intel hardware will you get the XMX instruction set and therefore better performance.

So Intel adding a special optimisation between their CPUs and GPUs isn't "anti-competitive", and you'd be hard pressed to prove it as such.

Associate
It's still "special sauce" as jigger puts it. Your gaming rig is perfectly usable without GSync, but Nvidia offer proprietary features that enhance your experience if you buy into Nvidia technology. AMD's Smart Access Memory between RDNA 2 and Zen 3 would have been the same if Nvidia didn't implement their own Resizable BAR so quickly. Intel's XeSS is the same in that it's usable by anybody, but only by using Intel hardware will you get the XMX instruction set and therefore better performance.

So Intel adding a special optimisation between their CPUs and GPUs isn't "anti-competitive", and you'd be hard pressed to prove it as such.

Maybe if it is open to everyone to use it will be OK. But if it is tied to their own CPUs I would think that would be limiting the competitors. Very narrow line there. If technology is open to everyone and Intel optimises their processors to use the technology that would probably be OK because AMD can do their improvements if technology is open to them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe if it is open to everyone to use it will be OK. But if it is tied to their own CPUs I would think that would be limiting the competitors. Very narrow line there. If Intel optimises their processors to use the technology that would probably be OK because it will bring competition because AMD can do the same if technology is open to them.

If Intel went out of their way to block the competition that would be another issue. But we are talking America.

Soldato
Maybe if it is open to everyone to use it will be OK. But if it is tied to their own CPUs I would think that would be limiting the competitors. Very narrow line there. If technology is open to everyone and Intel optimises their processors to use the technology that would probably be OK because AMD can do their improvements if technology is open to them.
And yet DLSS is tied exclusively tied Nvidia hardware and nobody's dragging them through court. And again Gsync is exclusive to Nvidia hardware. As is QuickSync on Intel's iGPUs.

I wager you're overthinking what jigger said. It's not "anti-competitive" for somebody to add optimisations to better tie their hardware together. jigger, nor anybody, said "it'd be really cool if Intel fully optimised their GPUs for their CPUs and lock everybody else out". That would be retarded.

Again, Smart Access Memory is the perfect example. Zen 3 and RDNA 2 tied together using some special sauce that only AMD can achieve because they have the ecosystem. What's wrong with that? What you're talking about would be if AMD released a BIOS update for their 500 series motherboards that outright blocked Resizable BAR if any GPU other than RDNA 2 or any CPU other than Ryzen 5000 was attached.

Oh wait, that's what they tried to do. And reversed their decision.

Soldato
And yet DLSS is tied exclusively tied Nvidia hardware and nobody's dragging them through court. And again Gsync is exclusive to Nvidia hardware. As is QuickSync on Intel's iGPUs.

I wager you're overthinking what jigger said. It's not "anti-competitive" for somebody to add optimisations to better tie their hardware together. jigger, nor anybody, said "it'd be really cool if Intel fully optimised their GPUs for their CPUs and lock everybody else out". That would be retarded.

Again, Smart Access Memory is the perfect example. Zen 3 and RDNA 2 tied together using some special sauce that only AMD can achieve because they have the ecosystem. What's wrong with that? What you're talking about would be if AMD released a BIOS update for their 500 series motherboards that outright blocked Resizable BAR if any GPU other than RDNA 2 or any CPU other than Ryzen 5000 was attached.

Oh wait, that's what they tried to do. And reversed their decision.

Intel could bring back Centrino and invite AMD to apply for certification. TBH Intel and AMD have a pretty healthy working relationship. I can see a lot of cross company deals in the future.

I can see the work of operating over a unified socket being revisited once Intel have got themselves back on track and the company has found a long term direction.

Associate
Leaked motherboard prices look high. New Intel Gigabyte Master about £150 more then the X570 equivalent?? I remember when x570 came out and Intel users were moaning at the prices of x570m if leaks are true i wonder what they will say then?

Back
Top Bottom