• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
the only reason we are getting a 3D stacked Zen 3 is because AMD are reacting to the hype
I'd disagree. The reason we're getting a 3D stacked Zen 3 is because the performance uplift will be sufficient to hold off anything Intel release. The chiplets were designed to support 3D stacked cache in Zen 2, so now that the technology is ready to be implemented, and implementing it on Zen 3 is enough to fend off the competition in the short term, then why no do so? Plus it gives them time to tune Zen 4 and wait for DDR5 to stabilise.

Soldato
It's not like we have been able to pre-order any AMD items in the past have we..... oh wait..... :D
And we shouldn't be rewarding them either ;)

but to be honest, however shady it may be to have review embargos on launch day, the only reason Intel, AMD, Nvidia and everybody else can get away with it is because of the idiot consumer. Apparently it's far too difficult to wait until actual reviews are out before committing money. FOMO should be considered a mental disorder.

Caporegime
I'd disagree. The reason we're getting a 3D stacked Zen 3 is because the performance uplift will be sufficient to hold off anything Intel release. The chiplets were designed to support 3D stacked cache in Zen 2, so now that the technology is ready to be implemented, and implementing it on Zen 3 is enough to fend off the competition in the short term, then why no do so? Plus it gives them time to tune Zen 4 and wait for DDR5 to stabilise.

Yeah, Zen 3 has 3D stacking backed in to it already, they have the SCV's on the chips ready to go so this has been in the works since Zen 3 was on the drawing board.

I'm just pontificating how funny it would be if Intel's constant inclination to over hype resulted in them shooting themselves in the foot.

PS: i don't hate Intel's product, i just hate Intel for what they do, just as i hate Nvidia for what they do, my last 3 GPU's have all been Nvidia, i hate many things that AMD do too but nothing they do is anything like as bad as what Intel do.

Soldato
I forget where I read it now, but the Zen 2 chiplet had the necessary power and data points built into it, AMD just never pulled the trigger on stacking. presumably it wasn't viable at the time. So it looks like AMD has been planning on lumping huge amounts of cache onto CPUs for donkey's years now.

Soldato
I'm definitely pre ordering one as I think the scalpers will get them all otherwise. Could be waiting for months for them to be in stock. Don't want a repeat of the GPU situation.

Soldato
Also there could be a lot of demand from people who have been waiting years to upgrade the CPU just for the IPC and maybe those who waited until ddr5 to move to a new platform.

Soldato
I'm definitely pre ordering one as I think the scalpers will get them all otherwise. Could be waiting for months for them to be in stock. Don't want a repeat of the GPU situation.

Supply should be great. It’s 50% Atom and they haven’t been in much demand.

Soldato
Pre ordering is fine, it's not like you can't just return the product if it don't meet expectations or just sell on for a higher price if supply is tight.

People were buying scalped 5600Xs for £500 not long after release so plenty of idiots around who are all to happy to part with thier cash.

Associate
Also there could be a lot of demand from people who have been waiting years to upgrade the CPU just for the IPC and maybe those who waited until ddr5 to move to a new platform.
Waiting for DDR5 always seems very strange.

Has there ever been any previous memory generation where being an early adopter had made sense from performance, or cost, or longevity point of view?

At least the DDR4 early adopters should all have been on HEDT quad channel so even if speeds were poor they had bandwidth.

This time with dual channel mainstream desktop leading, those who pay through the nose for what will quickly become the equivalent of what DRR4-2133 became to DDR4-3200 won't even have particularly high bandwidth.

Soldato
Waiting for DDR5 always seems very strange.

Has there ever been any previous memory generation where being an early adopter had made sense from performance, or cost, or longevity point of view?

At least the DDR4 early adopters should all have been on HEDT quad channel so even if speeds were poor they had bandwidth.

This time with dual channel mainstream desktop leading, those who pay through the nose for what will quickly become the equivalent of what DRR4-2133 became to DDR4-3200 won't even have particularly high bandwidth.

New tech both memory and mobo with the option to upgrade memory later.

It's not strange at all.

I am waiting from DDR 5 after over 7 years of a DDR3 platform.

It annoyed me being on the last of the DDR3 platforms

Soldato
I thought the 12900k R23 leak showed the ram running in quad channel?.

Back
Top Bottom