• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Caporegime
The other thing that is interesting is that there is a 1400point gap between the 12700 and 12900.

If I assume they running at roughly the same clocks, then the 1400 point gap is attributed to the 4 extra little cores the 12900k has.

Which then means 2800 of the 12900k's 10000 is from the little cores and 7200 from the big cores - so even without any little cores, a simple 8 core, 16 thread alder lake (at PL2 241w) would have easily beaten a 5800x.

This means I can also forecast future performance to some degree, so a 13900k raptor lake with its 8 big cores and 16 little cores would score about 13k in this benchmark assuming clocks and IPC is exactly the same.

Which then means 2800 of the 12900k's 10000 is from the little cores and 7200 from the big cores - so even without any little cores, a simple 8 core, 16 thread alder lake (at PL2 241w) would have easily beaten a 5800x.

By 16%, according to your figures, that makes ADL Big cores about 20% faster than Rocket Lake. Its drawing a huge amount power to do it tho.

Caporegime
PL2 is lower across the board though?

12700K for example looks inline with 10700K PL2.

There are no PL2 figures for Comet Lake on those slides, deliberately to make the bar lengths longer in comparison with ADL, ah marketing...... but yes i think you're right, in PL2 the 10700K is about 200 to 220 Watts.

I'm ignoring the comparison to Comet Lake because the power consumption on Comet Lake is enormous and while yes core for P core the performance on ADL is a solid 30% higher the power consumption is still enormous. 200 Watts + is ridiculous especially given its on Intel's latest and greatest manufacturing process.

Intel just aren't really brining their power down significantly.

Soldato
There are no PL2 figures for Comet Lake on those slides, deliberately to make the bar lengths longer in comparison with ADL, ah marketing...... but yes i think you're right, in PL2 the 10700K is about 200 to 220 Watts.

I'm ignoring the comparison to Comet Lake because the power consumption on Comet Lake is enormous and while yes core for P core the performance on ADL is a solid 30% higher the power consumption is still enormous. 200 Watts + is ridiculous especially given its on Intel's latest and greatest manufacturing process.

Intel just aren't really brining their power down significantly.

10nm will never compete with amd's 7nm efficiency, granted now intel have moved to 10nm its a great time as there is competition finally again, but with intel power draw is again its achilles heel, if the leaked power figures for the 12900k are true then you'll need some beefy cooling to handle the leaked 330w draw, to put that in comparison my 5950x pulls 194w but with all cores at 4.7ghz with smt enabled, which granted is a lot but i hope the leaked power result isnt true, 3 days we'll know

Caporegime
10nm will never compete with amd's 7nm efficiency, granted now intel have moved to 10nm its a great time as there is competition finally again, but with intel power draw is again its achilles heel, if the leaked power figures for the 12900k are true then you'll need some beefy cooling to handle the leaked 330w draw, to put that in comparison my 5950x pulls 194w but with all cores at 4.7ghz with smt enabled, which granted is a lot but i hope the leaked power result isnt true, 3 days we'll know

Your 5950X is overclocked running those clocks and that power level, of course its right as i'm pulling a little over 100 Watts package power at 4.7Ghz, about 85 Watts for the cores.

Zen 4 will be on 5nm, which is another huge leap in power efficiency from the node alone, current 7nm isn't all that, its more than 4 years old.

AMD started using it with the Radeon VII, The 6900XT is running on the same node, the latter has about 3X the performance per watt, if not more, Zen 2 was the first CPU to use it and while that was already very power efficient they managed to improve it with Zen 3.

Intel can't just improve their power efficiency with better processing alone, it looks like ADL P cores are the same old 'Core' but grown in transistor size.

Others, Apple, ARM, AMD, even Nvidia by the looks of it are designing more and more efficient architectures, with that you can get much more in to an architecture than with manufacturing improvements alone, if Intel don't do something about this they will get over taken and by wide margins by everyone.

Zen 5 Server CPU's are rumoured to pack 256 cores with 512 threads.

Zen 4 reacting to Intel will probably have a 30 to 40% per core higher performance and a step up in full size core counts.

So:
8/16
12/24
16/32
20/40
24/48

Are Intel just going to pile more E cores on ADL?

Caporegime
This was a very aggressive move by Intel, which is great, but AMD are not going to sit there and say "Oh well it was good while it lasted" No, they will just push it to the next level beyond and give Intel a cheeky little wink. ;)

Man of Honour
Zen 4 is a while away though so Intel doing this now is a solid move to get all the people looking to upgrade systems during the Xmas period. All this may actually work out really well and come this time next year when Zen 4 chatter is hot topic, we repeat the whole process again for those that did not upgrade to the Intels because not every 11 or 10 series owner will upgrade to 12 naturally and AMD fans will of course hold out whilst watching what happens with Intel stuff over the year.

Either way we all win. Better competition, better prices (I fully expected much higher prices than what we are seeing now for ADL).

I'm happy either way tbh.

Caporegime
Zen 4 is a while away though so Intel doing this now is a solid move to get all the people looking to upgrade systems during the Xmas period. All this may actually work out really well and come this time next year when Zen 4 chatter is hot topic, we repeat the whole process again for those that did not upgrade to the Intels because not every 11 or 10 series owner will upgrade to 12 naturally and AMD fans will of course hold out whilst watching what happens with Intel stuff over the year.

Either way we all win. Better competition, better prices (I fully expected much higher prices than what we are seeing now for ADL).

Its ####### Awesome. We are living in good times again.

Soldato

Yeah, great to see competition.

I'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Raptor Lake (drop in upgrade for Z690) is set to launch next year according to roadmaps - will Zen 3 refresh be out by then? Then we have Meteor lake, scheduled for early 2023.

Zen 3 refresh may aend up competing with Raptor Lake, Zen 4 may end up competing with Meteor Lake. It's fantastic to see so much innovation in such a short period of time, we have AMD to thank for this :)

As to which vendor will take their foot off the gas pedal first - could be argued this is AMD, as they're only doing a refresh with Zen3, though if it does end up giving 15% performance across the board, then this counts as more than just a simple refresh (E.G. Skylake to Kabylake - tiny refresh).

Soldato
Raptor Lake (drop in upgrade for Z690) is set to launch next year according to roadmaps - will Zen 3 refresh be out by then?
You've been told many times that the 3D cache refresh of Zen 3 is coming Q1 next year and Raptor Lake is end of next year, with Zen 4 due about the same time. Unless Intel move Raptor Lake up by at least 6 months, Meteor lake will not land early 2023.

Can you please pay attention and stop repeating the same old cruft time and again.

Back
Top Bottom