Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Soldato
Ignoring the potential irony of the plot... how can you kill someone with a prop gun? I'm assuming a prop gun is fake and simply fires blanks or potentially something which makes the muzzle flash, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyone with more knowledge of film prop firearms care to enlighten me?

Also, how did he shoot the directors? I suppose if he's aiming towards camera it is understandable the aim would be towards them, but surely they wouldn't be that close to the discharge.

If the prop gun is legitimate, then would there be potential for related charges of accidental death due to negligence?

A prop gun would require CGI IIRC,

As far as blanks, a gun that can fire a blank round is perfectly capable of firing a live round it would just be unable to cycle the next round without a BFA attached.

Soldato
With the amount of movies with guns in them firing literally tens of thousands of rounds of blanks it's surprising incidents like this don't happen more frequently than they do. This article claims 43 deaths and 150 life altering injuries since 1990.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/22/1048...-injuries-rust-movie-set-rare?t=1634916453816
43 deaths, but only 1 as far as I know from being shot, most injuries aren't firearm related due to the strict handling requirements of firearms. Far more die from cars.

Maybe more than 2 RIP posts in 105 posts. It’s as if the victim is secondary to the incident
You want a forum discussion, where everyone just says RIP?

Soldato
I gave up in the last firearms thread because everyone knows more about firearms than those who own and use them. It was laughable.

I don't know which thread you are referring too but owning a firearm doesn't mean you know everything (or anything!) Look at the USA if you want proof :eek:

Commissario
I don't know which thread you are referring too but owning a firearm doesn't mean you know everything (or anything!) Look at the USA if you want proof :eek:
Agreed but I’d hazard that FAC holders know a bit more about the legalities of ownership than those who haven’t had to go through the process.

But sorry, that’s all a bit irrelevant here. My fault. Move along :D

Back
Top Bottom