Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Soldato
If you mean the 32" Dell, then here you go:

So when setting this up you have to set up BOTH SDR and HDR as shown in the video in the monitors settings?

I am seriously considering getting the 32 inch one.

A few concerns I have:

1. Does it play nice with Nvidia hardware? I.e I can still enable gysnc in the nvcp?

2. On the windows desktop isn't 4k too big for the icons and text or can you scale that?

3. A little concerned that the 4080 I have will struggle at 4k resolutions. I know we can scale the settings and use things like DLSS but how much compromising will be needed?

Last edited:
Associate
So when setting this up you have to set up BOTH SDR and HDR as shown in the video in the monitors settings?

I am seriously considering getting the 32 inch one.

A few concerns I have:

1. Does it play nice with Nvidia hardware? I.e I can still enable gysnc in the nvcp?

2. On the windows desktop isn't 4k too big for the icons and text or can you scale that?

3. A little concerned that the 4080 I have will struggle at 4k resolutions. I know we can scale the settings and use things like DLSS but how much compromising will be needed?

It's just better to do so, for non hdr content. Some people prefer to leave HDR on at all times, others prefer to use it only when gaming on supported titles or viewing HDR content.

You can switch between the two on the fly with windows key + Alt + B as long as game bar is activated in windows :)

Soldato

1) Yes
2) You can scale the windows desktop if you find icons and text too small. The option is in windows display settings
3) Personal preference. If you're happy using DLSS there is not much to compromise. If you prefer not using it you will need to compromise a little more

Soldato
How are people using these types of monitors for general desktop use, dealing with this supposed 'burn in' issue?

Like tool bars and icons which are static content.
I have zero icons on my screen but instead i put the ones i use onto the task bar which is set to auto hide and run and dark mode in colour.

Associate
How are people using these types of monitors for general desktop use, dealing with this supposed 'burn in' issue?

Like tool bars and icons which are static content.
I'm using my monitor for working (writing code) and gaming. I have set the task bar to auto hide, use darkmode where I can, and have an inactivity timer on the display - most of these were things I already did even when I was on a IPS monitor. Honestly, I'm not concerned about burn in, if it happens within 3 years then I use the warranty to get a replacement.

Soldato
I'm on the verge of returning mine purely because the flickering is horrendous, I had a small amount on my LG C2 but nothing on this scale to the point where it's extremely off putting. The only way I can eradicate it is to untick the option in NV control panel under gsync which is the setting around applying this monitor's settings (3rd option can't recall the name) but in doing this you lose gsync so it's no use to me, I've tried HDMI and DP using brand new cables and it's still really bad in the 3 main games I'm playing atm : WRC (latest one), F1 2023 and R6 siege, doesn't matter if HDR is on or off.

I've sent dell an email, I'll try and get a video up showing how bad it is, but I'm going to push for a refund I think and see what the Asus is like, such a shame as I love the monitor bar this issue. (Also running current firmware).

Dell have agreed swap my panel, I've told them if the second one is as bad I'll be asking for a full refund, can't bare the flickering. Anyone else having the same issue? The only way I can remove it (in all games) is to disable the below option which to my knowledge disables gsync so makes it defunct really. If the second one is like this I'll hold off for the ASUS and grab a cheap panel in the interim as my C2 is going on my sim rig.

Screenshot-2024-03-25-180652.jpg

Associate
Dell have agreed swap my panel, I've told them if the second one is as bad I'll be asking for a full refund, can't bare the flickering. Anyone else having the same issue? The only way I can remove it (in all games) is to disable the below option which to my knowledge disables gsync so makes it defunct really. If the second one is like this I'll hold off for the ASUS and grab a cheap panel in the interim as my C2 is going on my sim rig.

Screenshot-2024-03-25-180652.jpg
Looked in display scaling? and tried out having no scaling performed by the GPU not the display. Solved flickering issues on my G9... could be worth a go at least, as I have no experience with the Alienware.

Associate
Dell have agreed swap my panel, I've told them if the second one is as bad I'll be asking for a full refund, can't bare the flickering. Anyone else having the same issue?
I haven't noticed flickering on mine, though my GPU is a 7900XTX. From what I understand flickering is expected on OLEDs monitors but glad I can't tell. My previous monitor GP27U had flickering, and it was annoying, so I can sympathise with you.

Associate
I'll take a look buddy, is that in NV pane or windows settings?
Nvidia Control panel, under the Display options > Adjust Desktop size and position > No Scaling, make sure resolution and refresh rate is all correct in there as well for currently active. I also tick the box for override scaling mode set by games and programs, but play around and see if it changes anything or if habits persist.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dell have agreed swap my panel, I've told them if the second one is as bad I'll be asking for a full refund, can't bare the flickering. Anyone else having the same issue? The only way I can remove it (in all games) is to disable the below option which to my knowledge disables gsync so makes it defunct really. If the second one is like this I'll hold off for the ASUS and grab a cheap panel in the interim as my C2 is going on my rig.

I've got the 27" and dont have any flicker. From what I've observed in the thread is that most people who are complaining about bad flicker are Nvidia users

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia Control panel, under the Display options > Adjust Desktop size and position > No Scaling, make sure resolution and refresh rate is all correct in there as well for currently active. I also tick the box for override scaling mode set by games and programs, but play around and see if it changes anything or if habits persist.
I'll give all that a go thanks buddy

Associate
I'll give all that a go thanks buddy
What kind of flickering are you seeing because dark colour flickering is inherent to oled displays when enabling variable refresh rate unfortunately.
Newer oled TVs for example have an option called “black stabiliser” to mitigate the issue somewhat at the expense of crushed or elevated blacks.

Soldato
What kind of flickering are you seeing because dark colour flickering is inherent to oled displays when enabling variable refresh rate unfortunately.
Newer oled TVs for example have an option called “black stabiliser” to mitigate the issue somewhat at the expense of crushed or elevated blacks.
See video above mate, I'm aware of the usual flickering but it's excessive on this panel, used a C2 before and had barely any flickering, this panel is ten times worse.

Associate
See video above mate, I'm aware of the usual flickering but it's excessive on this panel, used a C2 before and had barely any flickering, this panel is ten times worse.
Ah I see, yeah that looks extreme and nowhere near the usual oled flicker.

Soldato
No joy unfortunately. Just had an email from Dell who are trying to offer me last years 34 inch model as an exchange. Told them where to go and said I want like for like or a full refund. I'll be getting PayPal involved if they keep messing around!

Back
Top Bottom