Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
The flashing white LED when the monitor is in standby was annoying so I ended up having to turn the LED light off in the menu settings as there was no option to make it just a solid light. My LG B9 TV from 2019 is always turned off into standby mode but it just shows a solid red light. Why Dell thought it was a good idea to have a blinking light in standby mode is a mystery to me. The blinking makes it look like it is faulty.

Last edited:
Associate
mine seems to keep reseting the led lights to on that i dont want now
at one point my machine poped up to instal the dell software, that i then decided i did not need so uninstalled it
but i wonder if its still got the drivers in windows and trying to controll/reset settings via the usb cable, need to check tonight

Associate
I've just had a chat with the Dell technical support team because the eye strain on the AW2725DF has been insane for the last few days. It's genuinely got to the point where after 2 hours of using the monitor I'm struggling with eye strain / headaches.

This is even with trying to use F.lux, reducing the brightness, changing colour settings etc.

I'm weighing up whether I return it and accept that OLED isn't for me at this point and stick to IPS monitors. The concerning thing is that the more I look online at eye strain and this particular monitor, the more it seems that I'm not the only one struggling.

Soldato
I've just had a chat with the Dell technical support team because the eye strain on the AW2725DF has been insane for the last few days. It's genuinely got to the point where after 2 hours of using the monitor I'm struggling with eye strain / headaches.

This is even with trying to use F.lux, reducing the brightness, changing colour settings etc.

I'm weighing up whether I return it and accept that OLED isn't for me at this point and stick to IPS monitors. The concerning thing is that the more I look online at eye strain and this particular monitor, the more it seems that I'm not the only one struggling.

What did Dell have to say about it? I have seen a few people complain about eye strain. It is because their eyes are trying to focus on the text or something else oled related? Thankfully it hasn't been an issue for me

Associate

1000 nits to bright, then u need sunglasses :cool:

Associate
What did Dell have to say about it? I have seen a few people complain about eye strain. It is because their eyes are trying to focus on the text or something else oled related? Thankfully it hasn't been an issue for me
They were really good - Dell's support & service are genuinely great. The first person I spoke to ran through the usual flow of 'check this / check that / change this setting' but was basically trying to work out if the monitor had a fault.

I was then put through to someone who essentially said that I'm not the first person to call in and report it, they have had some success with others by replacing the monitor for a like-for-like switch but they also are aware that for some users, the panel type just doesn't mesh with them and they'll offer a refund. She also asked if I was suffering with any flicker but I said, for me, it was purely the eye strain and that I'd not really noticed flicker.

I said I'm happy to try a replacement to see how I get on so that's coming out this week - but she said it won't be an issue to arrange a refund right away either if it doesn't make a difference. Really good service from Dell, in all fairness.

1000 nits to bright, then u need sunglasses :cool:

This is on SDR with brightness at 35%!

Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They were really good - Dell's support & service are genuinely great. The first person I spoke to ran through the usual flow of 'check this / check that / change this setting' but was basically trying to work out if the monitor had a fault.

I was then put through to someone who essentially said that I'm not the first person to call in and report it, they have had some success with others by replacing the monitor for a like-for-like switch but they also are aware that for some users, the panel type just doesn't mesh with them and they'll offer a refund. She also asked if I was suffering with any flicker but I said, for me, it was purely the eye strain and that I'd not really noticed flicker.

I said I'm happy to try a replacement to see how I get on so that's coming out this week - but she said it won't be an issue to arrange a refund right away either if it doesn't make a difference. Really good service from Dell, in all fairness.

This is on SDR with brightness at 35%!

Yeah. That has been my experience with them also. Would never go ASUS, MSI or one of those brands over Dell.

Associate
Yeah. That has been my experience with them also. Would never go ASUS, MSI or one of those brands over Dell.
Yup - I've had good success with MSI in all fairness but I know it seems to be one of those that differs from person to person. Asus and AOC have all been really rough to deal with.

BenQ / Zowie are another that have been good but that was one interaction back in 2014 so no idea if it's changed now!

Depending on how I get on with the replacement panel I'll either stick with it if the eye strain is better - or return it and end up getting the IPS equivalent AW2723DF from Dell as I'd rather stick with them knowing how solid their support is.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Finding a monitor that doesn’t give me eye strain/migraines has become my full time occupation. IPS are a no go for me, all of them are ruinous. I tried an OLED before and felt the same way.

It’s becoming a problem. Dell are generally very good to deal with IMO (I’m returning a monitor as we speak haha).

Associate
Finding a monitor that doesn’t give me eye strain/migraines has become my full time occupation. IPS are a no go for me, all of them are ruinous. I tried an OLED before and felt the same way.

It’s becoming a problem. Dell are generally very good to deal with IMO (I’m returning a monitor as we speak haha).
It's such a rabbit hole as well, you end up trying every sort of combination of panel type, panel manufacturer, screen size, refresh rate etc.

The annoyance for me is that I was fine for years using TN monitors. My first high refresh monitor was the BenQ XL2411 in 2013 which had zero issues for eye strain and I used it for 5 years before moving to the Dell S2417DG (1440p 144hz TN) which was also fine with no issues!

I was hoping that OLED would also be fine as there's a lot of chatter on the Blur Busters forums about OLED being great for eye strain - but again, it seems to differ from person to person and it just doesn't mesh with me it seems.

It's a shame that they've stopped making the Dell S2417DG as I'd probably just buy 2 of those and be happy!

Soldato
The annoyance for me is that I was fine for years using TN monitors.

It's a shame that they've stopped making the Dell S2417DG as I'd probably just buy 2 of those and be happy!

I’m still on the lookout for one to be honest, if I find one I will probably buy it. Those were good monitors and I prefer a smaller size anyway especially at 1440p.

I’ve tried about five IPS monitors, a previous gen OLED, next I’m trying VA. Honestly got to the point where I can barely use my computer for more than 20-30 mins maximum.

I sometimes wonder if the high PPI on smartphones and such heavy use of smartphones for years has contributed. Though I had to sell my iPhone 15 pro because again the OLED killed me. Ended up with an SE as it’s the only phone Apple make with an LCD and I can stomach that for some reason.

Maybe I need a CRT.

Associate
How are people finding the curve on the 32"? It's the only thing putting me off the Dell, and I'm not even sure it would be that noticeable. At least not in gaming, but for other general use?

Associate
Regarding the eye-strain issue when using these monitors, I haven't personally experienced any ill-effects with my AW2725DF but I do admit that my eyes to 'tingle' a bit when the screen displays a large area of white. It's something I never experienced on my previous IPS screen despite it being much brighter for SDR content. And, of course, I never any issues with my 2019 55" LG B9 OLED TV because I am sat much further away from the screen.

Last night, I enabled the Night Light feature in Windows 11 which switches to a warmer colour palette during the dark hours to reduce the 'blue light' effect. I am wondering if it is this 'blue light' that is the real cause of eye-strain for certain people. I will continue to use Night Light for now as it looks fine to me and the adjustments are only subtle anyway. Just thought I'd post that here for others to try to see if it makes it any better for them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried some PS5 games on my 32" last night and while Horizon Forbidden West looked amazing in HDR but it felt and looked really bad in motion, switching the game from resolution mode to performance mode made a massive difference and so i stayed with that.

Still thinking to get this game on PC for the best of both world's though, am i mad lol ?

Last edited:
Associate
I tried some PS5 games on my 32" last night and while Horizon Forbidden West looked amazing in HDR but it felt and looked really bad in motion, switching the game from resolution mode to performance mode made a massive difference and so i stayed with that.

Still thinking to get this game on PC for the best of both world's though, am i mad lol ?

30 fps games can take some adjusting to on OLED screens due to the near-instant pixel response that can look a bit of an eye sore in motion until you get used to it. The sweet spot is 40 fps @ 120 Hz but most console games only support 30 fps and 60 fps.

I am currently playing Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on my PS5 on my 2019 LG B9 OLED at 30 fps but will definitely be picking up the PC version to play at 60-120 fps on my AW2725DF when it comes out. I will also be buying Horizon: Forbidden West for PC as well despite already having played and finished it on my PS5. It will look absolutely gorgeous on this monitor if Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC is anything to go by (I tried it last week with HDR enabled and, wow, it looked amazing).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom