Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

FMX

FMX

Associate
I received my AW2725DF about a week ago and I'm a little upset. I love this thing to death - the colors, the contrast, the motion, it's amazing.

The only problem is - eye strain! My eyes start to burn and they hurt a little eventually. I don't get much in the way of a headache but it's definitely noticeable. It seems like the more I use it, the more it goes away, but I still don't understand what could be causing it. The blue light? The subpixel layout? The VRR flicker? I'm not sure. I'm not generally sensitive to PWM as I've owned many OLED phones as well as the MiniLED MBP and iPad Pro. There have been screens before my eyes didn't fully jive with, OLED or not, but that's been rare.

I don't really want to return it but for now I've switched to an IPS panel to see how much it goes away.

I read the thread briefly and saw another person experiencing the same, and have seen videos on YouTube and posts on Reddit as well. I did see and read some of this before getting the monitor, but I don't think it's placebo.

I also notice VRR flicker a lot in menus and sometimes in games although its rarer and less distracting in games.

The problem is, if I return it - then what? There's nothing else. I don't feel like trying another brand like MSI or Gigabyte or waiting for the Samsung G6. I'm not interested in LG's offering anymore because its only 240hz. Don't want 32" 4k. I guess I'll just be screwed until the next iterations come out.

Last edited:
Associate
Eye strain goes away with time in my experience.
It may sound foolish, but maybe try wearing blue light blocking glasses when using the monitor and make sure you have some ambient light behind the monitor.

Associate
Eye strain goes away with time in my experience.
It may sound foolish, but maybe try wearing blue light blocking glasses when using the monitor and make sure you have some ambient light behind the monitor.

If you have good eyesight this is a solid recommendation, otherwise get some prescribed glasses that do the same thing.

Associate
Hmmm I'm still on the fence here, my loaner monitor is going back to my brother-in-law next week, and I've been waiting on buying an OLED, the AW32 was top of my list, but I'm reading about multiple issues, from scratches on the screen due to poor packaging, screen judder and tears etc..... I was originally looking at the ROG PG34WCDM but considering it's 1440p and pretty much £400 more than the AW, I just don't see how it's justified.

Associate
Is anyone playing Dragon's Dogma 2 on either the AW3225QF or AW2725DF with G-SYNC enabled? How are you finding the VRR flicker?

On my AW2725DF there is not only very obvious flickering in the loading screens but also in the game itself, especially in the dark interiors and at night that can be very distracting. The problem is that due to poor optimisation I really need G-SYNC to stop this game from feeling like a complete stutter-fest but even with G-SYNC enabled that game can feel very 'heavy' and 'sluggish' in the towns and any other areas where there are a lot of NPCs that cause my framerate to drop below 60 fps, sometimes into the low 40s fps on my i5-13600KF, 32 GB, RTX 4080, Windows 11 Pro PC at 1440p.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone have a reason not to get one of these. I've been starting on-and-off at the webpage for the last two months and I'm close to pressing the play button...

Associate
^^^ I've been doing the same since my birthday a month ago. I just think it's worth waiting for the prices to come down a bit and for these issues to get ironed out via firmware upgrades.

Once the other monitors using these panels land, there could be a fair amount of deals as they try to undercut each other. My preference would be a 32 in flat panel but the MSI/Asus equivalents are over £400 more than the Dell counterparts.

Associate
Does anyone have a reason not to get one of these.
I have three for myself
1. I already own a 32" 240hz gaming monitor (Samsung G7 1440p)
2. Large window directly behind me, even with heavy curtains still a source of light
3. In the perfect endgame OLED I would like to have 240hz black frame insertion. The fact that Asus has 120hz BFI is just to tease us of what it is capable of (it makes 120hz look like 240hz)

Last edited:
Caporegime
it isn't major and I have to try really hard to see it while in use but still annoying me that I could be so stupid
Holy **** man that ain't good! Good that it isn't too noticeable when in use, hopefully you'll be able to improve it a fair bit. When I have to move my PG42UQ around I'm always super wary of doing something like this as it's so big and fairly heavy (more awkward really, big beggar!)

Last edited:
Associate
Today I noticed that all non HDR games had raised blacks by a lot so I DDU both Nvidia and AMD graphics drivers and only installed Nvidia driver.
Non HDR games are back to normal and vrr brightness flicker is pretty much gone as well as monitor frame rate / refresh rate counter doesn't go crazy anymore.!

Associate
Holy **** man that ain't good! Good that it isn't too noticeable when in use, hopefully you'll be able to improve it a fair bit. When I have to move my PG42UQ around I'm always super wary of doing something like this as it's so big and fairly heavy (more awkward really, big beggar!)
I have two big microfibre cloths for this exact situation, which reminds me, I should turn that into micofibre gloves :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I was moving something to put it on top of PC and just had lapse of memory and forgot it had a piece of carbon fibre sticking out, could've been way worse honestly cause could've went into middle and possibly punched into the screen but still I feel like Leclerc in Baku (if people get the reference nice one)

Associate
Yeah I was moving something to put it on top of PC and just had lapse of memory and forgot it had a piece of carbon fibre sticking out, could've been way worse honestly cause could've went into middle and possibly punched into the screen but still I feel like Leclerc in Baku (if people get the reference nice one)
It happens, one day my wife made me help her change curtains in our bedroom so I took the telescopic metal curtain rail off.
The rail extended itself and struck one of my OLED TVs, leaving a deep scratch in the anti-glare coating right in the middle of the screen.
Luckily it is not visible from the distance we are watching it from.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys, I did a major F'up tonight and managed to scratch my 32", is there any product I can use to buff it out? it isn't major and I have to try really hard to see it while in use but still annoying me that I could be so stupid
Unlikely, the coating they put on top is plastic.
How deep is it ? Microscratches will be inevitable over time so wouldn’t worry too much.

Associate
Does the AW2725DF from dell come with a UK plug?
Mine didn't, came with a European plug - but Dell posted a UK plug out the week after the monitor arrived and I think the same happened to a few of us here.

icRVfcD.png

Back
Top Bottom