Alienware DWF or Samsung Neo G7 for Mixed Usage?

Associate
Hi,

I'm currently thinking about buying a new monitor. Sold my old ultrawide because it was lacking compared to my CX55 and I couldn't put up with the contrast ratio.

I've narrowed it down to the Alienware DWF/Samsung Neo G7.

The DWF has a longer/better warranty but will probably not last as long due to the risk of burn-in.

The Neo G7 is a higher resolution but I'd have to adjust going back to 16:9. Additionally the curve might be too much when writing documents and browsing the web. The stand also looks terrible.

I probably spend 40% of the time gaming and 60% in Word/Firefox.

The DWF can be purchased for £710 while the Neo G7 in an "opened - never used state costs £659.40 with a 2-year Samsung warranty. Brand new it's more than the DWF.

If better options are on the horizon, I could hook up the PC to the CX55 and use a controller/laptop for office stuff.

Last edited:
TBH, I'm facing a similar comundrum, as in I want the 3423DWF but it won't be purely for gaming and I wouldn't feel comfortable with OLED for desktop use/Ableton Live or 1000+h of displaying lifebars in Tekken 8:p

It's fantastic for gaming in the dark but I already do that on my 55" C2 and my room is pretty bright so I'm considering going 38" ultrawide NanoIPS and living with not having perfect blacks, which shouldn't be an issue as I won't game at night on my PC. 34" ultrawides have too little vertical space I feel and the Neo G curve is stupid for 32".

The blacks and true HDR because of the incredible contrast are the main advantage of OLED, I you don't have the conditions for it I don't think it'll blow your mind during the day. In the dark? Sure, the difference is huge but during the day not so much, especially that even QD-OLEDs are still pretty dim.

EDIT: Would be great if there were decent ultrawide miniLED alternatives with FALD 1000+ zones as a nice compromise for those who don't feel comfortable with OLED for daily use.

There's this one:

Yeah, I know that one, would be great if it was cheaper as at this price and availability I'd rather risk a used DWF without warranty and just run it into the ground for three years or so and then get whatever is available then. There's a company where I live that sells stuff like monitors from returns and they have a couple of slightly used DWFs in good condition for around 500 quid.
No Dell warranty though, you get a year from them.

Yeah, a while ago it was £799 due to price matching a used unit from another retailer. Maybe worth keeping an eye out on Prime Day. If not, it's too expensive for sure.

Back
Top Bottom