Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

Soldato
Oh dear, somebody put that Snapchat filter into a film?

Seems like an almighty waste of cast and crew to go and make a Matrix / Aeon Flux rip off. Then again I suppose Robert Rodriguez hasn't made a decent film in well over a decade.

Soldato
Well that looks rather poop. Not wholly unexpected given this last 2 cinematic efforts, but I had hoped for something better from the once great Jim Cameron.

When Ghost in the Shell (1995) came out, one reviewer said that this is the type of film James Cameron would make if Disney let him. Maybe he could have 25 years ago. Now though, whatever mojo he had back then has well and truly deserted him.

Soldato
I saw the first trailer and thought wow that looks remarkably faithful to the comic. Now I've seen the new trailer I can see they are writing a wholly different story. Lets hope it's better than it looks.

Soldato
One of the first videos I bought when the Manga video label launched in the U.K was Battle Angel Alita, was quite entertaining all those years ago. So this is quite nostalgic for me, and I'll go against the grain and say it looks promising, aside from the obligatory storyline no doubt geared to appeal to the U.S masses.

Commissario
I'm rereading the manga at the moment (got it in the humble bundle a couple of weeks back:D), and I can recognise most/all of the characters in the trailer but it looks like they're probably mixing it around in terms of the basic story and making some significant changes.

Not necessarily going to be a bad thing, as most source materials need to be changed in some way to fit onto the big screen, if just because films tend to require you to cover the story faster than a book, or appeal to a wider audience and do the introduction a bit faster.

What I don't particularly like are the overly large eyes which feels like it's playing up to the old anime stereotype unnecessarily, especially as in the manga and anime her eyes were nowhere near as out of proportion as they appear in the trailer.

I'll definitely be going to watch it at the cinema even if my normal movie group don't, as I'm willing to give it a go and it's a film I've been waiting to see for years (if just in the hope the anime gets re licenced and re released in hd).

Soldato
I think it was one of the first "milder" anime I saw ;)

Angel Cop, Urot, Dominion all thanks to my BIL when I was about 14.

Lol quite, my introduction seemed to go from Akira, Patlabor , Macross, 3x3 eyes , Urotsuki Doji , Devilman and Dominion Tank Police with it's inflatable penis' before I got back on track with Crying Freeman, Guyver etc...

Soldato
Well I must admit I'm warming to this now, after seeing that latest trailer. I've not done a 180 degrees, more like 90. :p

Could be entertaining, in a poor film but actually fun, sort of way.

Back
Top Bottom