• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

All games to flicker/shimmer? When moving.

Caporegime
Personally, I think the issue you describe is evident in a variety of games to some degree, though the link above is a particularly bad (or good) example. Perhaps you're just playing several titles at the mo where it's really noticeable?

Associate
Sorry to necro this thread but since the problem had no solution and since i am experiencing the exact same problems in games maybe we can shine some light on it.

It is a foliage shimmering problem that appears in various degrees from game to game. Buildings can also have bad staircase effect but that is another problem. Just like @Samhfx, i have tried everything. AA settings, DSR 4x, LOD Bias Clamp, HDMI Cable, old drivers, DDU, all possible suggestions and none of them worked. I managed to fix it in some games with simple game settings which might shine a light on detecting the source of the problem, so let's begin:

First of all, it's not just a light AA problem, the static image can be gorgeous but when you move everything shimmers like crazy. There is nothing you can do in nvidea control panel to fix it, maxing those settings might improve the quality of the image but will not fix the flickering / shimmering problem.

First let's jump over the buildings / fences aliasing problem. In Bless Online i solved the staircase effect by editing the game .ini files and setting MaxMultiSamples to 4 which completely fixed the issue.

If the game doesn't offer such a setting you can't solve the problem.

Now let's talk about the shimmering foliage problem.

In Black Desert it is most apparent and it's very hard to capture on video as uploading it to youtube compresses the quality merging the frames together basically fixing the issue we are trying to demonstrate.

Here is a video to demonstrate (just keep in mind that the original video is very sharp with thousents of shimmering pixels on every grass and tree not as smooth and blurry as the video shows):

It is best described as a heat wave effect that only occurs while moving, but not the one that people are complaining about. The one people want disabled is just a small smoke-like figure that appears in random places.

It is more like this (but somehow pixelated):

I had the exact same problem with grass in Bless online and managed to fix it there by setting shadows to low:

See how the flickering completely disappeared on the grass after i changed the shadows to low.

So as you see, the shimmering / flickering problems are completely at the mercy of the game developers as only in-game options and .ini edits are able to fix them.

In PUBG i also had a good amount of flickering on grass, fences and buildings and managed to considerably reduce them by setting 120 screen scale, ultra antialising and vsync ON. Watching a replay breaks the antialising there and pixelated grass flickers like crazy in all future matches until you restart the game so i just stay away from replays.

So all this issues variate from game to game, i am not an expert to determine the exact cause, but it's definitely game related and not hardware related, so i kind of get mad when a certain playerbase doesn't acknowledge the problem and makes you jump through all kinds of loops by telling it's your hardware's fault not the game. People must have very very low standards to play with such issues because they are very apparent especially in Black Desert Online.

So saying all this i hope someone could identify for once and for all the exact cause of that vibrating foliage in games so we might appeal to devs with proper feedback. Since it was related to shadows in Bless Online, and had the exact same pixelated effect while moving as in Black Desert, could it have something to do with lighting textures on grass/trees?

In Black Desert Online you can only disable shadows by using Very Low Optimal setting and it does fix the issue on half the trees. Very Low Optimal Setting generate 2 types of trees, one of them doesn't have texture and they don't flicker while moving anymore, but the other type still has some kind of texture and still flickers while moving.

Last edited:
Associate
have you got a screenshot of your Nvidia "manage 3d settings tab" and your monitor settings ?

I have a respone time setting on my panel, normal, fast and super fast, mine does this on superfast

Associate
Here is a picture of my nvidea cpanel. I got i7 6700K 4.0GHz, GTX 970, SSD, 8GB DDR4 2133MHz. I very much doubt that this is a problem only me and a minority are having, yes i experience pixelated shimmering while moving in a lot of games (on grass, trees, building windows and fences), but i also know that people are ****** liers who won't admit that this problem is apparent on their computer too. You can add as much AA as you want, the shimmering only happens while moving and it is a bad developer engine problem, people just don't want to admit it. It is impossible not to see it, especially in Black Desert Online. When you sit still graphics is gorgeous, when you move everything vibrates like crazy. Other games with good engines don't have this problem, or at least it is super minor. But Black Desert Online is simply unplayable because of the pixelated vibrating foliage as you move.

1.jpg

Associate
Have you tried adjusting the "Trace Free" mode in the monitor menue itself to adjust the response timings and see if this makes any difference ?

Also out of interest is this something that has always been apparant at the same level or progressivly got worse since youve owned the card ?

Ive also seen reports before when i had a similar issue of software running in the back ground ie Rivatuner, evga precision etc, maybe worth a shot.

Last edited:
Associate
I tried Trace Free and it makes no difference. Also i never use any software in the background for enhancing my graphics.

The card was always the same, the games just got more problematic because they added more foliage to them. Old games always looked crisp because they had almost no foliage. But this new generation of games add insane amounts of grass, trees and fences in them making a 1080p monitor rely heavily on AA to distinguish those small elements. When i sit still AA does it's job and everything looks smooth. But when i move it's like AA gets disabled and pixels fight like crazy for the same spot until i stop and then it's like AA turns back on. Again not all games have this problem, i'm mostly describing Black Desert Online here.

I am no expert but i think the issue is probably a lighting texture on the foliage that disables antialising while you move and then re-enables it while you stop, it's the only explanation i can come up with. Because in Bless Online setting shadows to low removed the lighting texture on grass and they stopped flickering. Since Black Desert has no option to remove those lighting textures it is safe to say nothing i try will work unless they fix their textures.

Associate
And another necro.

I can subscribe to everything Payne-Z said above except the conclusion.

Problem: Foliage flickering/shimmering in games when moving. Observable also on edges but it can be confused with lacking AA on.
Also, if you have a reference image (another PC using same in game settings) differences in rendering can be found.

But the root of this problem is not the software !
I have tried different windows (8.1 and 10). Different drivers (my card is a gtx1060 6gb), latest or older. Another monitor with new cable, another gpu (gt 1030 from my TV PC). I even plugged my system to a different wall socket.
Still the same. This can't be software.

It has to be something related to cpu/mb/ram/psu. The only things that I haven't changed.

I got this problem when he old monitor started to
freeze because of high temps, something failing inside probably. At first I thought it's a faulty
component in my PC. It took me a while to switch/test parts until I realised it was the monitor. When I got a new one then I became aware of the flickering and can't find a solution.

Probably I'm going to replace first the psu and post here future developments since this problem is so elusive and annoying. Maybe it will be of some help to other people.

Associate
Hey! I know this is an old post but I had exactly the same issue - dealing with it right now. - to be clear EXACTLY the same problem.
I have unplugged my speakers and a lamp that shared the same gang socket and wall socket - the problem has completely disappeared. it was electrical interference with the monitor.
I have DDU, all the other things in previous posts here, was about to re-install windows but as this was a new monitor I got the manual out and it said remove all electrical equipment near the monitor - boom problem gone! no ******* sound now though haha
I really hope this works for anyone faced with this issue - this monitor was about to be RMA'd

All the best

Soldato
Hey! I know this is an old post but I had exactly the same issue - dealing with it right now. - to be clear EXACTLY the same problem.
I have unplugged my speakers and a lamp that shared the same gang socket and wall socket - the problem has completely disappeared. it was electrical interference with the monitor.
I have DDU, all the other things in previous posts here, was about to re-install windows but as this was a new monitor I got the manual out and it said remove all electrical equipment near the monitor - boom problem gone! no ******* sound now though haha
I really hope this works for anyone faced with this issue - this monitor was about to be RMA'd

All the best
Wow, this has got to be the post of the year. Thanks for providing this insight.
By doing this I too notice a slightly sharper image in MW2019 when at the menu were your character is walking. Now 1x SMAA actually works!!!

So the real answer to this is to invest in a power conditioner just for your PC!!!

Man!!! I cannot believe this actually worked. I did it for just giggles...

Associate
I have this EXACT issue in all my games.my spec: Asus tuf a15 2021 i5 11400 Rtx3060 1080p 144hz.
Im sick tired of trying all possible settings from nvidia cp or switching between drivers or digging the hole intenet for a soloution and founding nothing.please help!

Associate
I h
Sorry to necro this thread but since the problem had no solution and since i am experiencing the exact same problems in games maybe we can shine some light on it.

It is a foliage shimmering problem that appears in various degrees from game to game. Buildings can also have bad staircase effect but that is another problem. Just like @Samhfx, i have tried everything. AA settings, DSR 4x, LOD Bias Clamp, HDMI Cable, old drivers, DDU, all possible suggestions and none of them worked. I managed to fix it in some games with simple game settings which might shine a light on detecting the source of the problem, so let's begin:

First of all, it's not just a light AA problem, the static image can be gorgeous but when you move everything shimmers like crazy. There is nothing you can do in nvidea control panel to fix it, maxing those settings might improve the quality of the image but will not fix the flickering / shimmering problem.

First let's jump over the buildings / fences aliasing problem. In Bless Online i solved the staircase effect by editing the game .ini files and setting MaxMultiSamples to 4 which completely fixed the issue.

If the game doesn't offer such a setting you can't solve the problem.

Now let's talk about the shimmering foliage problem.

In Black Desert it is most apparent and it's very hard to capture on video as uploading it to youtube compresses the quality merging the frames together basically fixing the issue we are trying to demonstrate.

Here is a video to demonstrate (just keep in mind that the original video is very sharp with thousents of shimmering pixels on every grass and tree not as smooth and blurry as the video shows):

It is best described as a heat wave effect that only occurs while moving, but not the one that people are complaining about. The one people want disabled is just a small smoke-like figure that appears in random places.

It is more like this (but somehow pixelated):

I had the exact same problem with grass in Bless online and managed to fix it there by setting shadows to low:

See how the flickering completely disappeared on the grass after i changed the shadows to low.

So as you see, the shimmering / flickering problems are completely at the mercy of the game developers as only in-game options and .ini edits are able to fix them.

In PUBG i also had a good amount of flickering on grass, fences and buildings and managed to considerably reduce them by setting 120 screen scale, ultra antialising and vsync ON. Watching a replay breaks the antialising there and pixelated grass flickers like crazy in all future matches until you restart the game so i just stay away from replays.

So all this issues variate from game to game, i am not an expert to determine the exact cause, but it's definitely game related and not hardware related, so i kind of get mad when a certain playerbase doesn't acknowledge the problem and makes you jump through all kinds of loops by telling it's your hardware's fault not the game. People must have very very low standards to play with such issues because they are very apparent especially in Black Desert Online.

So saying all this i hope someone could identify for once and for all the exact cause of that vibrating foliage in games so we might appeal to devs with proper feedback. Since it was related to shadows in Bless Online, and had the exact same pixelated effect while moving as in Black Desert, could it have something to do with lighting textures on grass/trees?

In Black Desert Online you can only disable shadows by using Very Low Optimal setting and it does fix the issue on half the trees. Very Low Optimal Setting generate 2 types of trees, one of them doesn't have texture and they don't flicker while moving anymore, but the other type still has some kind of texture and still flickers while moving.
I have the EXACTTT same issue with my intel RTX3060 laptop in allllll games pleasee help meeee im getting mad

Soldato
I've seen this problem or something like it with TV sets they're not the same as monitors despite what people say its something to do with vsync or refresh frequency monitors can handle variable fps/hz in a way TV's can't or some of them can't it varies between sets and manufacturers. Though having said that it was a PC rather than console you'd think consoles would be made to maintain a consistent rate so not entirely sure why its playing up like this.

Associate
So I decided to sign up and fix it for yall, its to do with the method of AA used, most drivers be it nvidia or amd will override app it seems nowadays based on method selected in control panel, despite having application controlled as the option, so if you have the default of using msaa instead of adaptive msaa or supersampling, you will have worse off AA. Simple as that, set it to supersampling for superior image quality.

Back
Top Bottom