All Three One Plans to be cancelled from today

Soldato
I'll be staying on Three and it'll be good to get the power users off so my speeds will be quicker :D!

An unemployed mate used 260gb last month as his phone is his only source of media, his contract doesn't end until March and he hasn't received the text yet but knows it's coming, he says the tether ban won't change his use of data just the size of the screen he sees it on.

Is he correct in saying that? I'm probably on the same mast as him and I bet he's not alone in using huge amounts of data around here as there's loads of students and multi occupancy eu immigrant houses, not looking good for me re 3 speed.:(

Associate
An unemployed mate used 260gb last month as his phone is his only source of media, his contract doesn't end until March and he hasn't received the text yet but knows it's coming, he says the tether ban won't change his use of data just the size of the screen he sees it on.

Is he correct in saying that? I'm probably on the same mast as him and I bet he's not alone in using huge amounts of data around here as there's loads of students and multi occupancy eu immigrant houses, not looking good for me re 3 speed.:(

Three are only limiting the tethered data not your "unlimited" mobile data. So in essence this guy can still stream just as much and watch it on his phone rather than laptop (of course if he had a chrome cast / similar he could watch it on the telly).
Obviously Three are trying to reduce the data usage on their network with the move to kill off unlimited tethering. You can only assume that if this doesn't work (as in the scenario above) they may start looking at reducing phone unlimited data contracts too.

BTW "as there's loads of students and multi occupancy eu immigrant houses" er ?

Soldato
My personal opinion on the entire situation which is aimed at the whole thread:
Where people entitled to as much as they could consume? Yes
Should people have felt guilty for consuming loads? No
Where people partly responsible for its demise? Yes
Where Three partly responsible for a less than perfect prediction of usage? Yes
Are people entitled to feel disgruntled with Three for stopping the service? Hell no, they had a dream package that gave some people ridiculously cheap data, for which they should be thankful for the chance of making hay while the sun shines
Should lower usage people feel disgruntled that the service is coming to an end? Not really

:)

Great post and quoted for truth since a lot of people seem to be missing the point here, but - please learn the difference between where and were! Just makes reading it so much easier. :)

Soldato
BTW "as there's loads of students and multi occupancy eu immigrant houses" er ?

No judgement aimed the folk I alluded to as they're not doing anything wrong and it makes perfect sense for a number of adults living in the same house on a limited budget to all use one ayce phone as their source of media.

As you said my heavily congested area will gain nothing from this move by 3 so in effect it is just a money grab by a company hoping to sell data sims to folk who previously tethered.

Perhaps it's aimed more at identifying individuals on an internet portal for security reasons i can't see it achieving much else.

Soldato
unbelievable the amount of butthurt displayed here. seriously what are people feeling so hard done by? its not like three are terminating peoples unlimited tethering services mid contract...if they were then yes complain.

Soldato
unbelievable the amount of butthurt displayed here. seriously what are people feeling so hard done by? its not like three are terminating peoples unlimited tethering services mid contract...if they were then yes complain.

Indeed. They offered a service, people took advantage of it and/or Three are unable to sustain the level to which it was being used, so they're stopping offering that service.

I'm not entirely sure what other outcome people ultimately expected given the usage of the minority. It was only a question of when.

Associate
OP
The One Plan allowed you to use your phone contract AYCE mobile data as a 'personal hotspot' which is not classed as 'tethering' by Three. I might have this all wrong but it could be something else to throw in the mix.

Soldato
...mick was taken...

At what point is the 'mick' taken if there is no specified limit by the provider?

Everyone has a different opinion on what 'mick' equates to (reason why this thread is twelve pages) hence the need for specifics rather than backing up 'unlimited' services with T&C's and usage policies that simply state "how long is a piece of string?" (no need for 'twice half its length' comments :p).

Last edited:
Associate
No text for me, but only really used tethering at girlfriends house as she has no internet.

I don't think three expected people to use the one plan as a replacement for fixed line broadband.

At the end of the day if your in your minimum term nothing will change till then end of term, and if your not in minimum term then sad to see it go but it was a good run.

Soldato
At what point is the 'mick' taken if there is no specified limit by the provider?

Everyone has a different opinion on what 'mick' equates to (reason why this thread is twelve pages) hence the need for specifics rather than backing up 'unlimited' services with T&C's and usage policies that simply state "how long is a piece of string?" (no need for 'twice half its length' comments :p).

It's got nothing to do with string and T&Cs. Three won't be able to sustain the heightening usage (whether it's mick taking or not) so they aren't renewing contracts with unlimited tethering (or those above a certain threshold at least).

There's nothing wrong with that.

Soldato
It's got nothing to do with string and T&Cs. Three won't be able to sustain the heightening usage (whether it's mick taking or not) so they aren't renewing contracts with unlimited tethering (or those above a certain threshold at least).

There's nothing wrong with that.

That isn't what he was saying though.

"Taking the mick" implies everyone who is a heavy user understand how the network works, and that it could result in Three reassessing their decision to offer the plan.

In the real world, for the vast majority of people it was a case of "My mobile data is unlimited, so I don't have to be concerned with how much I use".

Soldato
What absolute rubbish. It's called all you can eat and I paid for an all I could eat buffet as that's what I wanted. A shopping trolley full is in no way taking the pee on an all you can eat buffet.

I've got no issue if they want to up the price, but they didn't.

What I take offence to is a) they don't offer it anymore. b) there should be no difference between eating in he premises and taking it home, I'm paying for food, makes zero difference where I eat the food.

The new terms and conditions you will have to agree to will say your wrong though

So you won't be paying for tethering anymore... And will be given the option to leave (like when Vodafone did far worse) all you can eat buffets dont have to keep serving the same food options forever!

Where will you go though... ? I doubt you will find anyone so competitive for data in this country

Associate
A few questions
I have had the same contract with Three for 4 years now
5000 mins
3000 mins 3>3
5000 texts
unlimited data including tethered
£15 month
1 week ago my latest 12 month stint came to an end and it has just carried on as normal - just come across all this that tethering is coming to an end etc

yet on my 3 account details it tells me that as long as I keep paying the same contract or alter it
the contract will stay the same - yet most of this thread is saying the opposite
must add I have not received a text or anything saying it will be changing

Back
Top Bottom