1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almond milk

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Russinating, Nov 14, 2012.

1. edscdk

Soldato

stop moving the bar, almond milk and hazelnut milk now on the shopping list... and that vanilla stuff someone else mentioned...

2. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

It is like the unsweetened nectar from hand picked and squeezed kinder buenos.

I will defend it to no end and will take the risk of flaming. That said, a bit thick and sickly for some uses, so different horses for courses. If i was making something sweet or a shake i would always try hazelnut milk for that distinctly nutty taste.

3. joeyjojo

Soldato

I have this on cereal occasionally. Bit of a strong flavour and needs a LOT of shaking but tastes very 'healthy' (in the same way marmite or purple sprouting do). :p

4. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

I am interested to see what peoples opinions were on this milk alternative.

Did anyone go out and try some after reading the thread?

For me, its cashew milk or normal milk for tea/coffee since its the thickest and does its job. Hazelnut for everything else.

5. BuZ

Hitman

I'm lactose intolerant so I have problems with lactose. However I haven't even tried Almond Milk, so I have yet to try that and also Soya Milk. I've had yogurts with Soya Milk in, but not full on Soya Milk. Apparently my girlfriend has tried Almond Milk and she said it tasted awfully horrible, but I might have a different taste to her so... :D :) I usually use Arla's LACTO-FREE Semi-Skimmed Milk.

Edit: Forgot to include that the Soya Milk based yogurts were amazing, better than actual original dairy milk based yogurts! :D

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. lemonade

Mobster

I eat Alpro soya yoghurts, they are superb, love having the big pot lime & lemon with cakes etc, works out like a custard.

7. malolo

Hitman

Waitrose often have an offer on alpro almond milk and if you have a myWaitrose card you can choose offers to get a further 20% discount, one of which is the long life almond milk. The good thing is they take 20% off the original price of the product. For example right now it's two for £2 when it would originally cost £3.40 for two, so you end up getting them for 66p each.

8. frankel1414

Gangster

I think I'm going back to normal milk.

I've tried almost everything for use in porridge and tea/coffee. Almond milk is a bit pointless in hot drinks. It changes the colour of it slightly but not the taste. In porridge, it takes forever to thicken and tastes more like water than milk.

I'm also staying away from soya as well as I read it messes with your hormones. It's also rumoured to affect thyroid function. I'm already on thyroid medication for an underactive thyroid so don't really want to take the risk.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  9. D.P.

Caporegime

Nothing wrong with cows milks unless you are lactose intolerant.

10. Chojin

Wise Guy

I found the same thing, the cartons from the shops are basically just flavoured water. The ingredients say something like 2% almonds so health food it ain't. Also re. the thyroid you might want to check if your tap water has fluoride in it.

11. frankel1414

Gangster

Yeah, the Alpro almond milk I tried was made up mainly of water with almonds (2.3%).

I'd love to know the profit margins on products like this.

12. Mr-White

Capodecina

I've tried a few after avoiding dairy:

Soy - Taste wasn't great, only bought once. Reviews either say it's really heathly or really bad for you.
    Rice - Tasted alright, slightly thin, only bought once
    Almond - I use this for cereal, it tends to burn in hot drinks and then tastes a little bitter
    Coconut - Quite thin and rather sweet, buy now and again
    Hazelnut - My favourite, I use this on cereals and coffee

13. R.O.S.S.I

Capodecina

Noticed unsweetened almond breeze was on sale in Costco for less than £1 per carton. Was about £2.80 I think for a 3-pack.

14. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

I've started making my own almond milk. It's dead easy and tastes a lot better than carton stuff.
    Soak 1 cup of raw almonds overnight in filtered water with a pinch of salt. In the morning, drain and rinse. Pop them in a blender with 1 litre of water and blend on high for 2 minutes. Strain through a tea-towel or muslin or similar and squeeze out the flavour. Done.
    You can also use the pulp for stuff as well. I put some in my porridge this morning. You could also use it in biscuits or bread or cakes and stuff.

15. DrToffnar

Mobster

Saw this thread on Friday and decided to pick some up on the way home.

CONVERTED!!!

Just so tasty!

16. ddoubleep

Gangster

Cheers for this! Will give this a go at the weekend. I been trying all the various milks to change things up and Almond one gets purchased weekly for the cereals and porridge. Usually also grab the Unsweetened Soya but tried the Vanilla Soya to make some dairy free cake and it tasted decent.

How long does your home made version last in the fridge?

The supermarket own brand stuff I found fine and only when on offer do I switch up to the branded stuff.

17. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

Recipes I've found online said up to 4 days. I make a litre at a time which lasts me 2 days so not sure on the limit.

18. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

I've tried almond milk, but the one that I keep coming back to is rice milk. The most important thing for me to have milk in is tea - I just don't use it anywhere else - and I think that rice milk makes the best tea. I got some unsweetened soy milk recently as I read that it was lower calorie and higher protein than rice milk, but I found it quite sickly.

19. koolpc

Capodecina

Chicken milk is nice

20. Snookums

Mobster

I ditched normal milk a while ago, all cereal tastes so much better with almond or hazelnut milk as does coffee. tea however Im not a fan of the sweetness it gives it, although usually i drink coffee and tea black.

Im tempted to try this vanilla soy milk now tho tbh. sounds good.