Almond milk

Soldato
Has anyone here tried almond milk? I'm not usually one for hippy alternatives and I'm certainly not a veggie/vegan, but almond milk is actually very nice!

It's a tad more expensive than regular milk and has a slightly sweeter taste to it, but it is very nice and has 0% sat fat and less calories. The slight sweetness is also very useful if you're looking to substitute sugar or sweeteners in tea.

You'll be able to pick fresh and UHT up at any big supermarket so give it a try if you haven't.

Tea Drinker
Don
I'm using Vanilla Soya milk at the moment for morning cereal, tastes pretty good and as you say no fat, I used to use Rice milk but the local place here doesn't sell it.

One benefit for me is a) no one touches it in the work fridge and 2) it lasts ages.

kai

kai

Soldato
I use almond milk every day in my oats, its a great addtion as its high in good fats and low calories.

Get mine from Asda, usally on offer for £1.00 a carton

Soldato
I was considering trying an alternative to regular milk. I only use Skimmed for tea and cereal so the massive milky flavour isn't a requirement, I've even taken to using Long-Life milk now as the regular stuff had a tendancy to go off before I'd finished it specially if I wasn't making enough time for cereal before work.

Almond/Soya could be an interesting change.

Soldato
There's nothing wrong with saturated fat (just in case you thought there was) and dietary fat doesn't equate to body fat, so cutting dietary fat doesn't mean a cut to body fat.

That aside, I've been meaning to try it myself because I've heard it's good.

Man of Honour
There's nothing wrong with saturated fat (just in case you thought there was) and dietary fat doesn't equate to body fat, so cutting dietary fat doesn't mean a cut to body fat.

That aside, I've been meaning to try it myself because I've heard it's good.

Well said - I don't tend to bother bringing this up with people any more as it just leads to an argument usually :(

Soldato
OP
Do go on, genuinely interested.

There's technically nothing wrong with anything, so long as it's consumed in moderation, and of course dietary fat doesn't equate to body fat. But is sat fat good?

Soldato
Well said - I don't tend to bother bringing this up with people any more as it just leads to an argument usually :(

Why, thank you. It's not very often I see people agreeing with it either. :p

It's usually "you're saying things I don't like or understand SMASH SMASH".

It kinda reminds me of that scene in the 40 year old virgin where the guy says "I don't understand those words, so I'm gonna take it as disrespect".:D

Do go on, genuinely interested.

There's technically nothing wrong with anything, so long as it's consumed in moderation, and of course dietary fat doesn't equate to body fat. But is sat fat good?

You'll probably find it surprising but it's actually good for you.

Here's a good start if you're genuinely interested;

http://www.musclehack.com/the-saturated-fat-cholesterol-myth-destroyed/

Caporegime
I like it, though I prefer rice dream, which is considerably cheaper and not as sweet. Tastes creamier, too. I do wish they'd produce almond milk without the maltodextrin.

Caporegime
hmmm, wonder how this would compare to coconut milk in thai cooking.
I'm guessing not at all ?

Coconut milk is about the best food you can cook with. The saturated fat in it allows it to remain unaffected by the increase in heat, where as something 'healthier', such as hemp oil, would be damaged very badly - and that then carries over to you.

Re : cooking with almond milk, at least in terms of taste - I can't comment, though if homemade and free from added sugars, you'll have less chance of glycation occurring, which is what you don't want (although some is inevitable in the ageing process).

It (almond milk) might work better in cooking for something designed with the sweet tooth in mind. :D

Back
Top Bottom