Altered Carbon

Soldato
Looks intriguing.

I recognised the actor but couldn't remember his name or where I'd seen him before. Joel Kinnaman, after using IMDB to jog my memory, who was in the recent Robocop film.

Man of Honour
Looks intriguing.

I recognised the actor but couldn't remember his name or where I'd seen him before. Joel Kinnaman, after using IMDB to jog my memory, who was in the recent Robocop film.

It's a good many years since I read the book, but I seem to remember that the main character (he's not really a hero) occupies at least four different bodies during the first book, not including the prologue. That means four main actors. Which is not how Hollywood works. But unless they really go with the uploading stuff then there's no point in the series. Does this mean this is a "based on" series, not a film of the book as such? Either way it will be pants.

Soldato
It's a good many years since I read the book, but I seem to remember that the main character (he's not really a hero) occupies at least four different bodies during the first book, not including the prologue. That means four main actors. Which is not how Hollywood works. But unless they really go with the uploading stuff then there's no point in the series. Does this mean this is a "based on" series, not a film of the book as such? Either way it will be pants.

IIRC in the first book he is in his a sleeve for one scene where he gets arrested and put on stack for his crimes. He's then in the policeman's sleeve on earth for nearly the whole of the book. He's in a female sleeve for one scene where he's tortured in a virtual environment. He's in another envoy sleeve for a couple of nightmare flashbacks (the Rawling viral attack on the Innenin mission). At the end, during the attack on the sky brothel, he's in the ninja combat sleeve. Really for almost the whole of the book, Joel Kinneman looks the part, and really only the end assault scene is of any length.

Given that they are going to be doing one book per series, I think they will have to change actors each series, but in the second book his character is in the one Wedge sleeve for everything but the last scene (and that's easily fudged), and in the third book he's in a cheap synth sleeve until part way in when he gets an extreme sports sleeve all the way to the end.

Associate
Really looking forward to this, extended my Netflix sub so that I can watch it. Only 3 weeks to wait.

Military-grade neurochem and combat muscle memory would be useful features to have.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given that they are going to be doing one book per series, I think they will have to change actors each series, but in the second book his character is in the one Wedge sleeve for everything but the last scene (and that's easily fudged), and in the third book he's in a cheap synth sleeve until part way in when he gets an extreme sports sleeve all the way to the end.

They would probably keep the same actor and use the "Quantum Leap" approach where we only ever see the new sleeve in mirrors etc

Associate
I don't think a quantum leap style would work for me. I know why they might take that decision, but it shouldn't be needed if the other actors can do a good enough job to make you believe they are the same person.

Associate
Forgot to add, super mega massively hyped for this. Altered Carbon was the book that got me reading again as an adult, randomly picked it up for £2 on sale in a book store when on holiday and never looked back. It's also the reason I read as much sci-fi as I do now, I just wish Richard Morgan would write more sci-fi (which reminds me I need to see what he's been doing lately).

Soldato
They would probably keep the same actor and use the "Quantum Leap" approach where we only ever see the new sleeve in mirrors etc

That doesn't make much sense given that the first actor is in a sleeve anyway.
Plus at the end of the book one of the things he does is arrange to give the sleeve back to the original owner (who was set up for a crime he didn't commit), who was Ortega's boyfriend.
In the second book he's on a different planet, so the only way to get there is by needlecast and download into a new sleeve.

Soldato
Forgot to add, super mega massively hyped for this. Altered Carbon was the book that got me reading again as an adult, randomly picked it up for £2 on sale in a book store when on holiday and never looked back. It's also the reason I read as much sci-fi as I do now, I just wish Richard Morgan would write more sci-fi (which reminds me I need to see what he's been doing lately).

Nothing much after the Steel Remains fantasy trilogy. I think he's got a followup to Black Man/13 coming out next, and he gave a little hint that with a successful Takeshi Kovacs TV series, he's more likely to look at the idea of more books.

Back
Top Bottom