• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alternative to i5 11400f...?

Soldato
5600X is just too expensive at the moment, still selling in massive numbers...... maybe when Alder Lake launches.

5600G, yeah maybe close enough if you're careful with the board, if you find something like this in stock somewhere.

I have seen some 5600G on a large site i cannot mention here that are somewhat cheaper than the 5600X, comes to £310 5600G + that Asus board. His original option was £280.

I would still go for the 10400F TBH.

It’s just about doable. TBH I’d go with AM4.

Soldato
Thanks for the help guys. 10400 does come very close so is a good option. Pretty settled on 1080p currently and the 5700xt i have for a good few years i would think.

Just thinking about losing pci-e 4 and that gen 4 m.2 slot if i go for the 10400 over an 11400 but i don't find my current pc slow so doubt i'd be upset with a slightly slower m.2.

Keep in mind that with AM4 you could also benefit from S.A.M. which is actually quite good and better than re-bar, since you have a 5700 XT. That's quite a nice boost in some titles, essentially for free.

Soldato
Keep in mind that with AM4 you could also benefit from S.A.M. which is actually quite good and better than re-bar, since you have a 5700 XT. That's quite a nice boost in some titles, essentially for free.
S.A.M works just fine with Intel CPUs as far as I know.

Soldato
S.A.M works just fine with Intel CPUs as far as I know.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Is it the same-same or is it a re-bar situation? Can't find any info. Like with Nvidia, it also has re-bar but it's clearly worse than AMD's. So I thought you'd need AMD+AMD to have the best outcome from S.A.M.

Soldato
Interesting, I didn't know that. Is it the same-same or is it a re-bar situation? Can't find any info. Like with Nvidia, it also has re-bar but it's clearly worse than AMD's. So I thought you'd need AMD+AMD to have the best outcome from S.A.M.

It’s able to be set on some configurations. *Works* and *fine* aren’t words I’d use to describe the functionality though…

Soldato
SAM is Re bar it's just it works better on AMDs Gpu vs Nvidia, which Platform your using won't make a difference.

Soldato
I've ordered the 11400f but was in two minds about waiting for the 12400f (probably come Feb/Mar). I'm updating from a 10-year-old PC (i5 2500k!) so I'm expecting a significant performance increase regardless. I think what put me off was talk of the new CPUs potentially having problems with older games, and potential price increases with the new architecture as I'm on a tight budget.

The only thing I can't upgrade is the GPU due to vomit worthy prices. So I'll be stuck using my HD 7970 for another few years by the looks of it :( I just hope it holds up with the 11400f not having an i-GPU :o

Soldato
I did try and turn it on in march but ended up with having to reset the bios

maybe I should do a bios update and try again but dont know if its worth the hassle

Yeah you would want to try with the latest bios and you also need Windows in UEFI / GPT boot format as it won't boot with MBR.

Whether or not it's worth it depends on the game but in a 36 game sample that HW unboxed used they found on average a 3% performance increase.

Soldato
I've ordered the 11400f but was in two minds about waiting for the 12400f (probably come Feb/Mar). I'm updating from a 10-year-old PC (i5 2500k!) so I'm expecting a significant performance increase regardless. I think what put me off was talk of the new CPUs potentially having problems with older games, and potential price increases with the new architecture as I'm on a tight budget.

The only thing I can't upgrade is the GPU due to vomit worthy prices. So I'll be stuck using my HD 7970 for another few years by the looks of it :( I just hope it holds up with the 11400f not having an i-GPU :o
I think the Alderlake CPUs which have the issue with older games are those that have the small cores, the 12400 to my knowledge is just a vanilla 6/12 with no little cores so should be fine on older games, that said unless your going with a GPU above the level of a 3070 then I doubt you will notice a difference and going from a 2500K either of those CPUs would be a huge upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom