• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AM4 5600X3D in the making

Associate
When the 5800X3D was first released, this would have been great, but way less interested now.

Its for people already on AM4 tbh
Also whilst Pcie4 AM5 board prices are not too bad, theres still a fair gap stepping up to pcie5 gfx slot boards.

I think I'll be picking up a 5x003D chip before Starfield. Just torn a bit on going for this alleged 6 core vs the current 8 core offering.

Associate
Its for people already on AM4 tbh
Also whilst Pcie4 AM5 board prices are not too bad, theres still a fair gap stepping up to pcie5 gfx slot boards.

I think I'll be picking up a 5x003D chip before Starfield. Just torn a bit on going for this alleged 6 core vs the current 8 core offering.
DDR5 will start making sense from next gen onwards IMHO, right now a top of the line DDR4 system will bring an almost unnoticeable amount of lesser performance for a pretty noticeable cost difference.

Soldato
so many AM4 boards out there another CPU option to drop in and this will bring some more revenue can understand why they wanna milk AM4

Associate
Stockpiled some silicon that didn't make the grade for a 5800X3D?
I though Milan-X was far more likely but it seems they do NOT make 6 core per CCD parts:
Although they do have some strange one there since they are all 8 CCDs for the memory channels / and PCIe channels:
The 7473X is 8 x 3 cores, while the 7373X is 8 x 2 cores. No 8 x 6 cores ones.
No idea how well each sells but aside from specific workload, the 8 x 8 core one probably sells the most. So between Milan-X and 5800x3D there may be lots of salvageable ones.

Regardless, another nice bone to throw AM4 owners.

Edit: forgot the word NOT in the above.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pointless - lots of games that CHOKE on 6 core CPU's. I used a 7600 (nonX) for a few days with a 4090 - literally sat with 6 core's at 100% usage all the time, with terrible 1% lows. A 7700 (non X) would be infinitely better choice for gaming.

Soldato
not everyone uses a 4090 though, lower end market exists but do agree wouldnt want 6 core cpu now :) with so many current AM4 owners its for them to drop cpu in I rather go for 5800x3d but can understand why AMD doing it another CPU to cash in on when so many AM4 owners still existing

Last edited:
Associate
With consoles being 8 cores and games getting more CPU demanding, doing a new 6 core with the 3D cache I think is absolutely pointless, if the only reason is they are doing a 6 core because they are failed 5800X3D CPUs and rebranding them then that's understandable as to why they would be doing it.

Soldato
With consoles being 8 cores and games getting more CPU demanding, doing a new 6 core with the 3D cache I think is absolutely pointless, if the only reason is they are doing a 6 core because they are failed 5800X3D CPUs and rebranding them then that's understandable as to why they would be doing it.

This will be the reason for them making it, and TBF at the right price I think it will be a very good chip.

Going from 5600x to 5800x gave little to no gaming play improvements.
Going from 5800x to 5800x3d game a dame good load of game improvements…

Associate
Thing is if you’ve got a 1xxx 2xxx 3xxx series with a lower budget and don’t want a to spring £300 for a 5800 x3d it’s a very tempting offering. AMD recognising life in old platforms is actually excellent for the cpu market for consumers not necessarily wanting to be forced to the next platform. I can’t be bothered to get the5800 x3d or 5950x for £450 to upgrade my 5800x but I might be tempted by a 5950x3d to give the platform the maximum ‘legs’ .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom