AM5 board advice

Did read that am AGESA update was causing system hangs, can't pinpoint where I read it too...
I'm on the 821, this is the newest.
It’s probably more likely to run perfectly fine at XMP as well. The only thing I still need to do some reading on is if there is a sweet spot for speed/timings if filling all 4 dimm slots.
Some of the GSkills 6000 kits look well priced, if I could have waited, I would have got one of them. That said the difference between 5200 CL40 and 6000 CL 30 is not that big outside memory benchmarks, it not like AM4 where you get 20%+ extra fps. Also, think the 32GB stick have 4 banks (or ranks?) and the 16GB have 2, so with 64GB you end up with 8 banks for 2*32GB or 4*16GB so they should perform the same. I would get 2*32.

Asking, because aside from Asus, there are barely any ITX boards. I'm not forking out that kind of money for the Asus X670 ITX mobo.
The new range of ITX boards are hideously expensive.

I have a B550i Strix that I am sort of happy with (it needs more USB ports) but I refuse to spend the money to get an AM5 ITX board.

I’m hoping that Intel partners throw a spanner in the works and we see more budget orientated ITX board.

Edit: this board makes way more sense

Last edited:

I have a B550i Strix that I am sort of happy with (it needs more USB ports) but I refuse to spend the money to get an AM5 ITX board.

I’m hoping that Intel partners throw a spanner in the works and we see more budget orientated ITX board.

Wish you didn't show that as it's started my ITX itch again, I have a soft spot for mini's. Did think about getting the Torrent Mini ages ago, but this could be the beginning of that idea.

Not interested in Intel. Looking at the ROG STRIX B650E-I, may just sell the last of my itx build to be honest.

Not interested in Intel. Looking at the ROG STRIX B650E-I, may just sell the last of my itx build to be honest.
And that’s absolutely fine, it’s just £120 more is all.

I would prefer to get an AMD system personally but I don’t mind as long as it performs well for the money.

AM5 is a smidge expensive for my pocket.

HWunboxed has finished their AM5 mobo testing so the vids will be released over the next few weeks.

With the current bios's the Gigabyte Gaming X is a clear winner from these 4 and is not too expensive. Looking forwards to the rest of the vids in this series.

And that’s absolutely fine, it’s just £120 more is all.

I would prefer to get an AMD system personally but I don’t mind as long as it performs well for the money.

AM5 is a smidge expensive for my pocket.
Hmm, the NZXT B650E looks half decent. More or less a Asrock Steel legend, I am a fan of the aesthetics. Could be tempted in doing a N7 Flow build, it would look pretty sweet.

Quite bizzare how MSI can sell boards like these on the cheap, then all of a sudden a year or two down the line, over inflated prices, just like webcams were.

No way I'll pay £300 for mediocore motherboards, AMD and/or the motherboard manufacturers are taking everyone for mugs.

KDbVIlq.png FmyBJGv.png

Quite bizzare how MSI can sell boards like these on the cheap, then all of a sudden a year or two down the line, over inflated prices, just like webcams were.

No way I'll pay £300 for mediocore motherboards, AMD and/or the motherboard manufacturers are taking everyone for mugs.

A few YouTubers spoke about this.

Basically, partners now take AMD seriously after AM4 was a huge success and are putting more effort into products…and by more effort I mean charging more.

I’m sure we will see cheaper boards eventually but AM4 still works fine for a lot of budget buyers.

KDbVIlq.png FmyBJGv.png
To be fair its not apples for apples. DDR5 support is currently more money than ddr4, pci-5 is much more expensive than pci-4 never mind pci-e 3, each M2 socket costs a lots of dollars more. Then add in loads of USB3 and thunderbolt sockets and upgraded network and wifi and new sound chips etc. I think the issue here is that there are no (or very few) Pci-3/4 single M2 slot AM5 motherboards, presumable because the manufacturer feels nobody would buy one as if on that kin of budget, you would just get a an AM4 board and cpu.

I do think they are then adding another $50-$100 for no reason on top so are taking the **** a bit.

Last edited:
To be fair its not apples for apples. DDR5 support is currently more money than ddr4, pci-5 is much more expensive than pci-4 never mind pci-e 3, each M2 socket costs a lots of dollars more. Then add in loads of USB3 and thunderbolt sockets and upgraded network and wifi and new sound chips etc. I think the issue here is that there are no (or very few) Pci-3/4 single M2 slot AM5 motherboards, presumable because the manufacturer feels nobody would buy one as if on that kin of budget, you would just get a an AM4 board and cpu.

I do think they are then adding another $50-$100 for no reason on top so are taking the **** a bit.
100% agree.

I do think that PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 are a bit of an expensive gimmick right now for 99% of people.

All aboard the hype train I guess?

100% agree.

I do think that PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 are a bit of an expensive gimmick right now for 99% of people.

Agreed, nobody needs any of that now and I suppose it gives you longevity but the type of person buying the high end £500+ mobo will be the person likely to be changing mobo long before the they have pcie 5 M2 storage or a gfx card.

My issue, and its my own fault, is that I need 5 m2 sockets so when i look at boards which tick that box, i am into £600/£700 boards. I have no interest in onboard sound since I have a high end external DAC for that and no need of pci-5 but boards with 5 or more M2 slots tend come with at least one pci-5 slot or more. So it ends up a lot of the high end board stuff I wouldnt use.

Perhaps as prices are falling on 4tb nvme, I should look at replacing my 2 TB drives with fewer 4tb drives but I am only moving the cost of upgrading from the mobo to the drives and would probably work out even dearer than keeping my 2tb drives so I may was well go with a £600/700 board.

I just cant decide on AMD or Intel though. It gauls me to buy an intel board with features that I dont need or will use yet knowing its an end of line socket so chances are I will have upgraded to a new gen cpu before I use the pci-5 on that board.

So awaiting the 3d cpu versions and then I think I'll go AMD. If I am buying a £700 board, at least that way I know I will be using it for 3/4 years before AM6.

I recently bought the x670e Crosshair Hero motherboard. It should arrive soon. I can see from the manual is says you can connect a PD 12V PWR (aka 6 pin GPU power cable) to it for 60w of power to the PCIE x 16 slots. If you don’t you are limited to 27w. Does anyone know what this would mean in normal use?

100% agree.

but right now isn't where the value is, its the fact you may own a good AM5 board for quite sometime and is particularly useful if you are prone to upgrading every 18months - 2yrs

If you get an AM4, an Intel chipset or a lower tier AM5 board now its value now might be better but its ROI over 4-6yrs could be lousy... Its something you have to answer yourself a lot depends on the sort of consumer you are i.e. will you get a Zen5 and Zen6 CPU but only time will tell I could be wrong on those assumptions even for my own choices in the future

Personally I'm opting for:
Asrock X670E Pro RS @£313 - cos I wanted lots of M2 slots, wifi 6e and a board that will last me 3 CPU upgrades, PCIe 5 socket if I need it. Its basically the best value board in the higher end range imho
Corsair Vengeance RGB EXPO 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C30 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit @£210 - cos you want 6000 for the UCLK & MCLK 1:1 ratio and CAS/CL 30 means its not trash memory, everything at a higher frequency comes with a higher CAS so you're robbing Peter to pay Paul as the saying goes

as a Zen3 5800X owner do I want to spend money on the AM4 3d vcache CPU or put that towards AM5? I'm going for the later

the HUB video swayed me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN2gkbMQ2fs

Last edited:
I went a bit mental and ordered a X670E Gene which was the board I was so excited about at launch (until I saw the pricing). Somehow I convinced myself with 10% off to buy one over the Strix F, looks like I’m going all in for a mATX build…

I recently bought the x670e Crosshair Hero motherboard. It should arrive soon. I can see from the manual is says you can connect a PD 12V PWR (aka 6 pin GPU power cable) to it for 60w of power to the PCIE x 16 slots. If you don’t you are limited to 27w. Does anyone know what this would mean in normal use?

I don’t understand why the manual says that when it also refers (page1-14) to the fast charge feature on the front USB-C header requiring the 6 pin PCIE input…

Back
Top Bottom