AM5 board advice

I don’t understand why the manual says that when it also refers (page1-14) to the fast charge feature on the front USB-C header requiring the 6 pin PCIE input…
Yeah, I just saw that. I think I’ll just connect it and to avoid any problems.

i have x670e Pro RS with 7950x and works well. If you want PCIe slots (not GPU slot) along with WiFi, do update BIOS to the latest one. With old bios, you wont be able to use both wifi and pcie slots at the same time. the most current (beta) bios does make it possible to use both at the same time.

I bought the X670E Gene with 7700X (couldn't wait until April for 7800X3D) and I'm mostly happy with it so far - my main gripe is the fan headers - it seems that there are only 3 'controllable' fan headers CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT and CHA_FAN - the rest are "full-speed" headers, and I can't find anything in BIOS that allows DC/PWM control for the others. For an 'extreme' marketed board, I would have expected fully programmable headers across the board.

It's not a show stopping issue, my Arctic LF2 pump/fan combo header is connected to CPU_FAN. My Lian Li SL120 Infinity fans are running in two clusters, connected to CHA_FAN, which I control using L-Connect. Out of two remaining intake fans, I have one connected to CPU_OPT and one to a FS_FAN header. Once the SL140 Infinity fans come out, I'm going to replace the front intakes and connect it to my Lian Li fan hub, essentially freeing up one PWM header.

I'm using Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 6000 CL40 which is on the QVL. The EXPO/DOCP II profile worked the first time -- I initially used DOCP I profile and had to clear CMOS as it just hung up on me. The Q Code displays on these new boards are fantastic though.

I read somewhere the dual-EPS connectors aren't totally necessary - given that CPUs will never consume that much power in normal usage, but connected them anyway.

The additional PCIe 6-pin next to the 24-pin power connector stumped me "as it's required to provide additional power to your PCIe slots" -- but I read somewhere it's to ensure that USB-C PD can hit 60W as opposed to 27W?

The Z.2 card for the M.2 SSDs confused me when I got to installing Windows. Might just be my faulty brain, but the SSD in Slot 1 corresponds to Device 1 and SSD in Slot 2 corresponds to Device 0.

Finally, POST is slow compared to my Skylake system, which felt like an instant on. Loading the OS is slow as hell, given that it's loading the software for ASUS Armoury Crate (for MB and AIO RGB), Gigabyte RGB (for GPU), iCUE (for Memory RGB) and L-Connect (for Fans). Once everything is loaded, it's an absolute speed demon compared to my old box.

it seems that there are only 3 'controllable' fan headers CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT and CHA_FAN - the rest are "full-speed" headers, and I can't find anything in BIOS that allows DC/PWM control for the others
I find this hard to believe. Even entry level motherboards do fan curve DC/PWM on all headers. Maybe they are just not exposed to third party software?
But poke around in BIOS Qfan section
Page 10 in bios manual https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ual_EM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG CROSSHAIR X670E GENE

Last edited:
I find this hard to believe. Even entry level motherboards do fan curve DC/PWM on all headers. Maybe they are just not exposed to third party software?
But poke around in BIOS Qfan section
Page 10 in bios manual https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket AM5/ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME/E20466_ROG_CROSSHAIR_X670E_Series_BIOS_manual_EM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG CROSSHAIR X670E GENE

Interesting find. The Q-Fan section of my board has only lists 4 headers - the ones listed above and AIO_PUMP which has nothing attached.

This is a screen-cap of the manual showing that only 3 headers support Q-Fan control. https://ibb.co/v3b60pj

On another hand, I was considering the MSI B650M Mortar WiFi which was half the price (but not as blingy) and uses the new AMD-branded WiFi 6E.

Last edited:
Yeah, it wouldn't be the first time that's happened. The old X79 Asus Rampage 4 Extreme had the same deal, but worse; only the CPU was PWM, everything else was really voltage control and NO fan curve control in BIOS either (which is normal back then, but not the fan headers being voltage instead of PWM, which had been a thing then, especially for it's premier board).

This is also why I invested into an Aqua Quadro and an Octo to move between systems. It helps when unexpected situations like these (fan headers not PWM and no curve) turn up and you can just ignore it and go. Also, it helps with fine tuning being able to control it inside windows, so you can fine tune it during stress tests better.

Asus have cheapened out on their fan headers in both AMD and Intel this generation. Disappointed they are all limited to 1amp whereas the competition have ones that do up to 3 amps. Never mind dual pump headers which seem to have disappeared off Asus boards,

just looking up the board I was interested in ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F, and it can control all 5 system fan headers just looking at my fans rating 0.18a so 5 fans would use 0.9a , my set up with the evo 011 case 3x at the bottom to single fan header and 3x at the side to single fan header with 3 fans per header that will only use 0.54a and the rad 3 x fans connected to aio

Last edited:
just looking up the board I was interested in ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F, and it can control all 5 system fan headers just looking at my fans rating 0.18a so 5 fans would use 0.9a , my set up with the evo 011 case 3x at the bottom to single fan header and 3x at the side to single fan header with 3 fans per header that will only use 0.54a

I have 22 140mm fans to control and two d5 pumps. Was easy to do on the omega extreme board direct from the motherboard. I am looking at the new high end Asus boards and I would need to buy extra controllers or buy another brand of mobo. No idea how Asus can sell a £800 mobo with so few fan/pump controller features compared with the competition.

I have 22 140mm fans to control
is this you?
fan_pc_3.png

I have 22 140mm fans to control and two d5 pumps. Was easy to do on the omega extreme board direct from the motherboard. I am looking at the new high end Asus boards and I would need to buy extra controllers or buy another brand of mobo. No idea how Asus can sell a £800 mobo with so few fan/pump controller features compared with the competition.

22 FANS ??? what kind of case takes that many lol ? ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F with the 5 system fan headers I could have total of 25 fans each being 0.18A

Last edited:
22 FANS ??? what kind of case takes that many lol ? ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F with the 5 system fan headers I could have total of 25 fans each being 0.18A

Caselabs SM8 case so a monster. Fans on pull push on two 560 rads and a 420 rad. They barely have to go above 700 rpm to keep the 9980xe and 4090 under control. :D

Its more the lack of two pump controllers on the Asus boards. MSI and Gigabyte and others all offer 2 pump controllers or headers which an take 2amp or even 3amp but not Asus. Even their pump headers are quite often only 1amp until you get to the higher end boards. Last time I checked the only board Asus makes now with two pump headers is the £1200 xtreme board. No thanks!

Nice to see caselabs have risen from the dead and are back in production again. I am hoping for a new front usb panel is available son.

So on further inspection... there's actually only two PWM headers, the CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN headers ... it's beyond ridiculous that there's only one extra PWM header. My understanding is that CPU_OPT is twinned with CPU_FAN, and matches the RPM, instead of being an independently regulated fan.

That being said - using a fan hub alongside daisy-chaining is a workaround, but I guess for a £480 motherboard I shouldn't have to be using workarounds.

I'm probably running too many fans for my own good anyway - lots of noise pollution at around 400-600 rpm - 3x SL120 INF top-ex, 3x SL120 INF bottom-in, 2x Arctic P12 A-RGB side-ex and 2x Lian-Li 140mm running in "full speed" mode. Hoping to replace them with SL140 INF when they're available and run a lower rpm with the fan hub.

I saw a YT video yesterday showing that EVGA has a new Z790 board with the 24-pin and EPS connectors all on one side, and a cluster of ARGB headers. Quite nifty design -- maybe Asus could learn a thing or two.

So on further inspection... there's actually only two PWM headers, the CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN headers ... it's beyond ridiculous that there's only one extra PWM header. My understanding is that CPU_OPT is twinned with CPU_FAN, and matches the RPM, instead of being an independently regulated fan.

That being said - using a fan hub alongside daisy-chaining is a workaround, but I guess for a £480 motherboard I shouldn't have to be using workarounds.

I'm probably running too many fans for my own good anyway - lots of noise pollution at around 400-600 rpm - 3x SL120 INF top-ex, 3x SL120 INF bottom-in, 2x Arctic P12 A-RGB side-ex and 2x Lian-Li 140mm running in "full speed" mode. Hoping to replace them with SL140 INF when they're available and run a lower rpm with the fan hub.

I saw a YT video yesterday showing that EVGA has a new Z790 board with the 24-pin and EPS connectors all on one side, and a cluster of ARGB headers. Quite nifty design -- maybe Asus could learn a thing or two.

You can never have to many fans!!!!!!!!!
I have had Asus boards for my last three builds but going off the current generation as they are lagging behind the competition. Although Asus do the best bios full stop IMO.

Agreed on the BIOS, love it - so many options and not too laggy with a wireless mouse as well.

I've done 4 major builds in my lifetime, 2 with Gigabyte (AMD, Intel) and 2 now with Asus (Intel, AMD).

Gigabyte have always been no-frills, but rather stable.

ASUS (Intel Z68) was really buggy for a while, and reminds me of the first few hours with the X670E.

Back
Top Bottom